partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 05:51:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Dancing While Injured
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dancing While Injured  (Read 505 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: June 22, 2013, 06:02:09 AM »

Have you done it?  Why or why not?  And how bad does an injury have to be, to get you off the dance floor?

I have broken every single one of my toes at least once and only stopped dancing when the big toes were broken and had to be set.  Even then, I didn't stop for long.  Embarrassed  With the inner toes, especially,I see no need to stop dancing.  I use that white tape, tape them securely to the unbroken toes and keep going.

One time in particular, I had to dance several showcases on one night -- three showcases and a formation, IIRC.  No way was I going to not dance.  I broke two toes on my right foot three days before.  For those three days, I practiced in ballet slippers that were a size too big, then wedged my feet into my regular court shoes for the actual performances.

My foot hurt like bloody heck the day after, but it was worth it.

Any battle scars, anyone?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 12:18:21 PM »

hard NOT to have.  A chronic problem with my metatarsal to the large toe - its always being crushed against the next one so dancing is minimizing the discomfort.  And then there was the torn achilles - and the fear that it would go twoing and I'd loose the use of my foot. 

Such is the drive to dance ...  seems as strong as the drive to fight wars by soldiers who continue regardless of major, sometimes mortal wounds...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 12:32:22 AM »

I have danced with injuries for the last three years. But the desire to dance out ways the pain of the injury, it is the long term Damage (if there is any) that I am concerned about, but the surgeon told me if my knees were like tyres, I am running on the steel belts. Well I will keep doing so and replace the tyres when I need too Tongue

I do look after myself and do gym work to strengthen the legs to support the knees, I think what ever the injury you need to investigate what options you have.

I have been sent an interesting article about stretching and connective tissue. I will try and upload it, very interesting reading.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 04:06:36 AM »

Wow.  Knee replacement is no joke.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 06:52:49 AM »

my ex DP had a bad knee from a football injury and used to dance with so much asprin that his voice was slurred - and he was stil in agony.  He had a partial knee replacement - and was totally fixed.  It was amazing.

The point is though that it was partial so they were able to leave the tendons in place.  Also he worked like dickens to recover mobility.  Truly a man of steel. 

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 09:30:49 AM »

my ex DP had a bad knee from a football injury and used to dance with so much asprin that his voice was slurred - and he was stil in agony.  He had a partial knee replacement - and was totally fixed.  It was amazing.

The point is though that it was partial so they were able to leave the tendons in place.  Also he worked like dickens to recover mobility.  Truly a man of steel. 

yes I hear it is very good for men, but the success rate for women is not the same. My local GP was  advising me to be extremely cautious about having the operation, so I will continue to try and improve my fitness before I do surgery, I have to wait till October before my health cover would allow me to have such an operation.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 09:45:11 AM »

I a partial an option?  Or do you need a full knee replacement?

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 10:12:43 AM »

I have a GF who got both knees replaced (one at a time, several months apart.)  She regained mobility, but I can't imagine her being able to dance competitively.  I'd be cautious   about having the surgery, too.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 05:10:07 PM »

Certainly - but please note the partial vs full difference..

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 05:36:29 PM »

True.  I didn't know to ask GF at the time which she had, but she did mention that her surgeon told her she had "no remaining cartilage."  I assume that means full.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 08:33:35 AM »

NOt sure if partial is an option, but I wait to see what is happening with technology now that they have 3D printers they may be able to grow cartilage and replace it rather than replace the knee. but I wait to see, so far so good.

My strength training with PT has been doing wonders for my legs, even getting to see muscle definition, very happy with that.

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 10:43:40 AM »

I'm rooting for you.Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 04:21:53 AM »

While we're on the topic, does anybody use Ace bandages (not sure of a generic term) to get through dancing with minor injuries,sprains, etc?

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: