partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 12:54:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Tips and tricks to gain positive visibility on the comp floor
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Tips and tricks to gain positive visibility on the comp floor  (Read 961 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: June 22, 2013, 05:47:17 AM »

Anybody have suggestions?

One obvious piece of advice that you see everywhere is to stake out an area on the floor near the judges.   If you watch any comp footage at all -- from a one day college comp to a multi-day international festival -- you will see competitors vying for good spots on the floor.

Another piece of advice I've often seen is that grooming is vital. (I'll never forget the video in which a judge I won't name went on and on about the importance of a good pedicure.  Seriously.)

But are there any more tips that you think competitors should keep in mind, to maximize positive visibility on the comp floor?  What do you think are the most important elements in attracting judges' attention in a positive way?  Are there any no-nos that get you negative attention?  How do you avoid those?  And how do you recover from obvious comp floor disasters, such as a fall or a wardrobe malfunction?

Thoughts?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 05:55:41 AM »

Its a great question -and crucial for big competitions such as Blackpool when there are litterally tens of couples on the floor and its only a few minutes per dance.  For standard I've heard that you need to keep moving and maintain speed - of course thats easier said than done with all those obstacles.

To be a little cynical - perhaps the best way to get noticed is to pay for lessons from the judges Tongue  I would love to see an analysis of scores vs lessons. 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 06:08:06 AM »

I have lots of thoughts and questions on this one, but I want to wait and let some others chime in.  Cool

I guess the other thing I'd like to throw in the discussion now is whether visibility is like publicity -- all visibility is good visibility?

For example,suppose you do take lessons from the judges in order to make yourself recognizable.  Is it possible that might backfire, because they'd be more likely to know which flaws and weaknesses to look for?

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 11:06:32 AM »

Normally, Judges would cluster together, due to many reasons of course. When there are like 40 couples on the floor, people dancing at the far corner away from the "cluster of judges" seem to less preferred (so you will see everyone occupying only half of the ballroom - the one where judges are at). I do that, too. And this is Latin, when people are more or less in the same area.

I have heard that a good outfit (dress/shirts, whatever) could bring you a round further.

Let's see, what else...standing tall, of course. And have a pretty partner Tongue.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 11:51:10 AM »

Hmm.  I wondered about that.  In smooth, I've seen people strategically plan a fancy move for when they are in the judges' vicinity.

For Latin, since you're more or less stuck in one spot,  how do you make sure to get a good one?

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 12:17:15 PM »

Normally, Judges would cluster together, due to many reasons of course. When there are like 40 couples on the floor, people dancing at the far corner away from the "cluster of judges" seem to less preferred (so you will see everyone occupying only half of the ballroom - the one where judges are at). I do that, too. And this is Latin, when people are more or less in the same area.

I have heard that a good outfit (dress/shirts, whatever) could bring you a round further.

Let's see, what else...standing tall, of course. And have a pretty partner Tongue.

This reminded me of some of the Blackpool footage I watched (please don't ask me to remember which. I watched a lot.)

There was a couple lined up right in front of judges' row, doing something fancy. (Latin.)   The judge they were directly in front of deliberately leaned out to the side, so she could see other couples.  what a hoot!

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 12:21:04 PM »

Often great latin dancers will go to the distant part of the floor where, I guess, they have freedom to move AND stand out from the crowd.  With standard its maybe a mistake to get too close to the judges - its hard to evaluate movement when close and things that are lovely from a distance may suffer from detailitis.

Thus, I don't think its so simple.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 12:22:47 PM »

For example,suppose you do take lessons from the judges in order to make yourself recognizable.  Is it possible that might backfire, because they'd be more likely to know which flaws and weaknesses to look for?

yes, its definitely a two edged sword - the judges see your faults.  However, if you do the things that they instructed you to do while dancing they can't help but feel good about that

there is also a darker factor - the judges you pay to take lessons from may want you to do well to improve business Tongue

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »

I've heard more than one judge vehemently deny that costuming has anything to do with results. Of course, I'm not sure that even experienced judges are immune to unconscious psychological responses.  *shrug*

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 12:32:39 PM »

I've heard more than one judge vehemently deny that costuming has anything to do with results. Of course, I'm not sure that even experienced judges are immune to unconscious psychological responses.  *shrug*
I know of another that will not mark a couple with dirty shoes... its the all-kindsthingy...

millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »

Often great latin dancers will go to the distant part of the floor where, I guess, they have freedom to move AND stand out from the crowd.  With standard its maybe a mistake to get too close to the judges - its hard to evaluate movement when close and things that are lovely from a distance may suffer from detailitis.

Thus, I don't think its so simple.

I think that that is true when you are a well known couple - you will be seen where ever you are anyway. But for us mortals, I would prefer gaining some edge through dancing closer to the judges, instead of being blocked by your fellow competitors.

Beside, for me at least, even if dancing closer to judges (definitely not right into their faces!) does not gain us more visibility in reality, it at least does in my mind, and that is important because it makes sure that my mind is not distracted by other concerns, which I certainly want to have. Am I making any sense? I feel that my words aren't describing my thought.

In another way, I feel that it is a ritual, almost. Like many things I do/prepare myself before comps or during comps, it might or might not gain me an edge, but it certainly settle my mind, and I think that that is an important aspect as a competitor.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 10:59:46 AM »

I know of another that will not mark a couple with dirty shoes... its the all-kindsthingy...

So, since you never know which idiosyncrasy a particular judge has, try to cover your bases.   Good grooming never hurts, anyway.

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 11:05:06 AM »

Beside, for me at least, even if dancing closer to judges (definitely not right into their faces!) does not gain us more visibility in reality, it at least does in my mind, and that is important because it makes sure that my mind is not distracted by other concerns, which I certainly want to have. Am I making any sense? I feel that my words aren't describing my thought.

In another way, I feel that it is a ritual, almost. Like many things I do/prepare myself before comps or during comps, it might or might not gain me an edge, but it certainly settle my mind, and I think that that is an important aspect as a competitor.

So positioning on the floor gives you a psychological edge?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 11:34:43 AM »

for the lead maybe its also a dominance issue?  You get the prime spot and that does not hurt in trying to establish yourself as the alpha male.  I'm not joking either, these are very important factors.  indeed the guy that manages to be alpha-male on the floor has  a vast advantage.

millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 09:55:52 PM »

for the lead maybe its also a dominance issue?  You get the prime spot and that does not hurt in trying to establish yourself as the alpha male.  I'm not joking either, these are very important factors.  indeed the guy that manages to be alpha-male on the floor has  a vast advantage.

Yes. There is a little joke - How do you be a champion? Well, by dancing like a champion!

Also, while at lower level, these little factors probably don't come into play, but in higher/highest level, every little advantage counts.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: