partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 08:05:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116487 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Dance Studios Are Like Church ...
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dance Studios Are Like Church ...  (Read 236 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: June 21, 2013, 09:17:28 PM »

Small and intimate.  Close and convenient. Big enough to require multiple services.  Nationally recognized and sometimes televised.

The question is which do you prefer and why?   A small, personal studio with one or two independent teachers?  A franchise studio that happens to be nearby? A large studio that may have multiple teachers sharing a floor?  A name-brand studio that that has name recognition with anybody in dancesport and might even have been featured on a reality show?

Do you have a preference of studio type? If so, why?  And, in your experience, what, if any,  are the down sides of the studio you attend?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 11:03:39 PM »

church?  I'm having a hard time with this one... A church you use for, well, a religion.  Am I reading this wrong?

I can't think of anything further than from a church... for starters, you should see what they wear there Grin

Hey, this could be a fun topic: whats the difference between a church and a dance studio?  Let me count the ways...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 11:16:59 PM »

In terms of size and scope.

There's everything from the fifty-seat church around the corner to the twenty-thousand member church on TV.

Same deal with dance studios.

Question is which do people prefer, from the choices in the OP or others.  What kind of dance studio.   small and intimate?  Huge and well known? Maybe even televised?  Something in between?

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 02:51:49 AM »

I have been to studios where their are so many people on the floor at once about five teachers  working at a time and people practicing. I know that it helps with floor craft but sometimes I think there are too many people on the floor?  But ouir stdio is a cross between both. not too big and definitely not too small.

What I find when too many people are teaching is that they are all yelling out their instructions and it  on top of music where everyone tries to get a grab, just turns it into a mish mash.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 05:22:51 AM »

I wondered about that.

I've been at a studio where it was just one independent teacher. To be honest, I was not a fan.  Since it was just one person, a lot of the amenities of other studios weren't available -- things like studio socials were almost non-existent.

OTOH, there are studios out there (especially since DWTS) that are gigantic, that have multiple group classes six days a week, parties and socials multiple nights,and, like you said, five or six teachers giving lessons at the same time.  Not a fan of that either.  Even though there are benefits, there's almost too much going on.  One thing I like,though, is that, when my instructor ia unavailable, I have the option of getting an exchange lesson from one of the other instructors.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: