partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 02:21:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  why don't all men want to partnerdance I mean, look where the girl is :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: why don't all men want to partnerdance I mean, look where the girl is :P  (Read 795 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 09:25:52 AM »

All good stories ( and of course there are an equal number the other way round).

One I know the husband was a good dancer but the wife was relatively a beginner so he would dance with a high-level competitor.  She wanted to compete with him and studied like crazy to get to championship dancing.  At this point the husbands partner moved out west (to live on a mountain top with her new husband, go figure) and the guy, instead of dancing with his now very able wife (though who would never be as good as his ex partner) quit dancing all together.

Ah, what a lovely relationship...

What we are describing is incompatible partner/dance partner ships.  And, I would guess, life partnerships that are on slippery slope.  Where there is no marriage involved either one could seek another partner to dance with if thats what they really wanted to do.  I don't think you can say that the other sex was responsible for the failure of the dance interest can you?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 02:56:04 AM »

Hmm.

All of those are good examples.  I think that there's a more universal issue at play here, though.  Men don't dance because society tells them nt to.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 06:11:41 AM »

Hmm.

All of those are good examples.  I think that there's a more universal issue at play here, though.  Men don't dance because society tells them nt to.
really?  but they do at discos  ..  maybe you were being more specific 'men don't ballroom dance because..."

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »

Indeed I think they have no issues doing Salsa, or Latino style dances but Ballroom for some reason is off limits for whatever the reasons are. It would be good to have hard evidence why that would be the case but no association tries to find out.

Can't target an audience if you don't have the write information to get them along.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 08:49:48 PM by QPO » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 04:48:47 PM »

Maybe we can get an international grant to study this threat to the well-being of women everywhere....

You know, that could even be funded Tongue

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 06:04:23 PM »

Maybe we can get an international grant to study this threat to the well-being of women everywhere....

well why not I am sure that there are funds out there just need to write it up an that is your area of expertise.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 09:16:39 PM »

well why not I am sure that there are funds out there just need to write it up an that is your area of expertise.
I think I'd rather be the one that spends the money than does the work to get it... Wink Roll Eyes

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 08:46:30 PM »

I think I'd rather be the one that spends the money than does the work to get it... Wink Roll Eyes  Tongue

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 08:49:08 PM »

Not sure what happened to my post but I said that it would be like becoming a world champion while someone else did the training.. but anyone someone who is doing an arts degree PhD might be interested.

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 09:22:20 PM »

A friend of mine got me into Ballroom Dancing and I went to get my dad into it then I was going to head off.  To me Ballroom Dancing was something old people did and this is a common feeling for many people.   If more young people were seen doing Ballroom Dancing this stereotype would change.  This is why So You Think You Can Dance is so valuable as it shows young people Ballroom Dancing.  Now if Hollywood would just get on board.   

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 09:39:19 PM »

I just happened to have Modern Family on and the father was having to trick his son into taking Ballroom dance lessons since it is not a cool thing to do.  In the end though he does get mad at his dad he ends up secretly practicing dance in his room.  The problem is that when his dad discovers him practicing the kid is embarrassed that he was caught dancing.    Yep, that really helps kill the stereotype of Ballroom being uncool.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 04:58:21 AM »

I think it may be relatively simple to fix - by emphasizing the physical challenge of dance with another person, that could make it uber cool...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 04:15:57 PM »

well they need to build it into the story line, if they can see a progression and support and more details it would do wonders for the sport!

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 04:53:01 PM »

well they need to build it into the story line, if they can see a progression and support and more details it would do wonders for the sport!
not quite sure what you mean by a 'story line' - can you expand a bit?

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 11:34:32 PM »

not quite sure what you mean by a 'story line' - can you expand a bit?

Rugby was saying that the did an episode of Modern family where the son was trying ballroom dancing. but one episode is not enough it needs to be built into the story that that is his hobby etc. a one off thing does not encourage people to think that it is cool and OK to do so.

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: