partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 06:33:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Why did you start dancing? What made you stay?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Why did you start dancing? What made you stay?  (Read 498 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: June 15, 2013, 08:27:52 AM »

A life-long dream?  Had to learn for an event?   Given lessons as a child?  Just curious.  What made my fellow PDOers, dance?

And,once you started, what made you make the leap from beginner to seeing yourself as a dancer?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 02:52:19 PM »

Ah, this topic from another one right?  I forgot where (its nice to mention if you start a new one - that puts it into contect for the readers).

Started dancing - well who remembers, I'm sure we all did it to some extend as children and then there's becomeing a teenager, who could not dance? 

But ballroom - signed up at a craft fair where a studio has a booth...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 02:56:27 PM »

I forgot where too.  Does it matter?  lol I'll look for a link.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 02:59:03 PM »

to me it does - and I think to PDO.  An idea is a gift from anyone and should be recognized as such.  Its not a big thing but a nice thing.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »

I forgot where too.  Does it matter?  lol I'll look for a link.
to me it does - and I think to PDO.  An idea is a gift from anyone and should be recognized as such.  Its not a big thing but a nice thing.

I found it. This was your topic idea from when you were welcoming cha. Why didn't you just say so? I run across a bunch of topic ideas every day and don't always remember where they came from,nor do I always have time to search for them.  If you feel I owe you credit,please claim it. Cool It is a good thread idea,and not mine, although,in my defense, I promised to follow up and I did.  Wink Smiley

Hi cha - perhaps you could share how you got started?  Its funny in retrospect, but I filled out a form at ballroom dance booth in a crafts fair!

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »

Anyway.  I started dancing when my marriage was falling apart and I didn't even know it yet.  I suppose I was missing emotional fulfillment, and the (romantic, idealistic) idea of dance made me feel like I'd find the missing je ne sais quoi.

I didn't find it. dance != a marriage. but, even though I lost the marriage, I found something else that I really,really value.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 04:30:32 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 04:38:47 PM »

to me it does - and I think to PDO.  An idea is a gift from anyone and should be recognized as such.  Its not a big thing but a nice thing.

I found it. This was your topic idea from when you were welcoming cha. Why didn't you just say so? I run across a bunch of topic ideas every day and don't always remember where they came from,nor do I always have time to search for them.  If you feel I owe you credit,please claim it. Cool It is a good thread idea,and not mine, although,in my defense, I promised to follow up and I did.  Wink Smiley

Hi cha - perhaps you could share how you got started?  Its funny in retrospect, but I filled out a form at ballroom dance booth in a crafts fair!
like I said, it was not a big thing - all I want to do is to encourage attribution in the future.  When you get an idea from something someone has written just mention them, its just a nice thing to do.  You are also doing a very lovely thing by creating a topic in which it can be highlighted and expanded on - and not the also by realizing that its worth following up on.

Sorry if this started to sound critical, it was not my intent... Undecided Roll Eyes

millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 10:13:30 PM »

I think I said it somewhere else, but here we go. I went to my high school prom, and I thought that the guy knowing how to spin girls is so cool, so I decided to learn ballroom dance when I entered college.

As for why staying.. admittedly, I wasn't quite into it for the first year. I went to group classes, but that is about it. I think the turning point was after my first showcase. I practiced quite a bit during the preparation period. After the showcase, I felt... a bit bored and unfillling. So I went back to practice by myself, and for myself. And that is when I really get into it Smiley.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 10:28:22 PM »

Yes.  I think that whatever it is that made you explore dance in the first place is important, but it's kinda like church (for those who go or went.)   No matter what other people do or believe, at some point, you have to make it your own.  Somebody else's dance faith won't make you one of the faithful.  At some point, you choose to become a dancer or you don't.

I decided to become a dancer about a year into my dance journey.  I was studying at a social studio,but something made me google ballroom dance teachers in my area,and I went for a sample lesson with a competitive dance teacher.

One lesson and I was hooked.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:43:00 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 11:50:16 PM »

No matter what other people do or believe, at some point, you have to make it your own. 
thats the key.  its something in our heads that has to get turned on - perhaps by hitting the floor Roll Eyes

...something made me google ballroom dance teachers in my area,and I went for a sample lesson with a competitive dance teacher.

what style was that?

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 02:14:57 AM »

Answer to both questions: Girls!
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 05:45:31 AM »

No matter what other people do or believe, at some point, you have to make it your own. 
thats the key.  its something in our heads that has to get turned on - perhaps by hitting the floor Roll Eyes

...something made me google ballroom dance teachers in my area,and I went for a sample lesson with a competitive dance teacher.

what style was that?

American rhythm and smooth.  Not really relevant, since I later decided that competition wasn't for me.  Cool  That being said, my exposure to the methodology of that teacher changed my world.  When I walked into his studio, I knew that I would be involved in dance, in some capacity, for the rest of my life.

For example,long after my bones are too brittle to dance,    I will probably be involved in something like PDO or some other dance organization that exists at that time. 

Dance has been transformational for me.

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 05:57:02 AM »

Now that is an honest answer. Smiley   And a darn good motivator.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 08:01:46 AM »

so the $10,000,000,000,000 question is: why aren't all men similarly motivated Huh Huh Huh

so weird...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 10:29:37 AM »

I would guess cultural mores around dance being for gay men. Makes no sense but there you have it.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: