partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2015, 09:06:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116623 Posts in 1861 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Floorcraft: how is this even possible without true lead and follow?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Floorcraft: how is this even possible without true lead and follow?  (Read 869 times)
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« on: March 20, 2015, 06:06:33 PM »

What prompted me to start this topic was this article by Anthony Hurley.  I would love for coaches to hurl chairs at their couples and have them do all their routines competitively in social dances like Anthony had to contend with.
http://www.freedomtodance.co.uk/news/floor-craft-lost-art-anthony-hurley-anthony-hurley/

In my opinion, what Anthony is asking is near impossible when the basics of partnering skills are not even mentioned in most of today's coaching sessions.  Breaking out of one's set routine and reverting to basics is considered "not competitive" and no couple would risk it.  Furthermore, the precedent is set when couples with ZERO floor craft, and think of ballroom dancing is pinball on steroids, are marked as champions. The day they disqualify for collisions, we'll start seeing some serious floorcraft.  The other option is to have competitors truly respect each other.  HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

My question to even Anthony would be, why on earth would a couple have to revert to basics when their routine is compromised?  Are their advanced figures that are unleadable or unfollowable?!
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 04:50:26 PM »

You have a good point.  Sometimes I get peeved at my partner since, though we have routines, he likes to dance whatever he feels and what he can at the time rather than just a strict routine.  It would be so nice to know what we were going to do before going onto the floor but on the other hand it is nice to know he can get us out of problem and I can stay with him .  We do 80% lead and follow instead of a routine and though it has bitten us in the butt now and then overall I have been quite glad that he can do this.  There are so many times when there have been too many couples, small floor, rude couples, or mainly ones that can only do routines (which is the mass majority it seems) that have made it difficult if not impossible to dance routines well or at all.  We don't have a place to practice so our practices are at social dances so we are used to working around people.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: