partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 08:05:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Should non goal oriented dancers be encouraged to change and improve?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Should non goal oriented dancers be encouraged to change and improve?  (Read 736 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: July 10, 2013, 08:54:07 PM »

I used to attend the same studio as a really nice couple who'd been dancing probably a decade longer than I, but who were levels and levels below me.  They'd take private dance lessons every so often and would participate in group lessons with enthusiasm.

They never advanced beyond a certain level, but they seemed to be as happy as clams.  This brought much, much frustration to our mutual teacher. he used to say, "I keep telling them they could be so much better if they'd just do [blah]."   But they never did [blah] and they seemed to be happy.

OTOH, they spent lots and lots and lots of money on dance in the decades they danced, arguably to little effect.  they also did not represent the studio well, since they made little, if any progress.

Hmm.  I just couldn't understand them at the time.

Now I wonder.  Should they have been encouraged to push through to the next higher level?  Should they have been encouraged to stop studying dance?  Should tghey have been left alone to do their thing their way?

I still don't know.  What do you think?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 09:36:43 PM »

Why not leave them alone?  Who's to decide what the 'next level' is for them or whether they need to go there?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 03:59:53 AM »

That's one way of looking at it.

Another is that they wasted an awful lot of money, taking twenty years of dance lessons, only to accomplish little in the way of dance progress.  Was their teacher doing right by them, to continue taking their money?

Dona nobis pacem.
Spiral
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 07:59:55 AM »

I think students should always be encouraged but not always pushed. There might be people who are happy to be at the level they are and not have any grand goals because they are not aware that there is anything bigger outside, or they might not believe that they can do more than they currently do. In these cases encouragement can be beneficial.

To thy self dance true --elisedance
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 09:24:37 AM »

I like that distinction. Smiley

I also think they took a lot of lessons, to be moderately good (or b y another way of looking at it, moderately bad) social dancers, so many years later.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 02:19:01 PM »

That's one way of looking at it.

Another is that they wasted an awful lot of money, taking twenty years of dance lessons, only to accomplish little in the way of dance progress.  Was their teacher doing right by them, to continue taking their money?
ah, now you hit on a very different question.  But I still think why not - its a classical case of caveat emptor.  Unless, of course, the teacher is lying to them.

They may take the lesson as a social event or even a physical exercise one.  Its surely up to the couple what they do with their money.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 08:26:08 PM »

Sure.  They're adults and can spend their money and their time any way they want. And you're right.  The teacher's role is tangential.  Just figured I'd mention it, though.  Wink

I really like Spiral's point, though.  Encouraged? I'm going to vote yes.  Anything stronger is a no. Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 02:13:39 AM »

People have different goals in their dancing and some people who started at the same time as us have not changed or improved their dancing, they have no ambition to do so and if they are happy with that good for them. If people ask me how come you are doing well compared to us I advise them that we train a lot to remember what we have to do, they look surprised but they should not really nothing comes easy.

But our goals are not for everyone and neither should they be.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 08:01:18 AM »

Exactly.  Everybody has different goals.  It's kind of hard for me, as a hyper goal-oriented person, to understand how this couple could progress to a point and be happy just staying there, but to each his own, I suppose.

If I were their teacher, I'm not sure I would have felt comfortable taking their money, year after year, though.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 04:46:12 PM »

Exactly.  Everybody has different goals.  It's kind of hard for me, as a hyper goal-oriented person, to understand how this couple could progress to a point and be happy just staying there, but to each his own, I suppose.

If I were their teacher, I'm not sure I would have felt comfortable taking their money, year after year, though.
you probably would because you would figure that the lesson is much more than improving dancing.  Its also supervised practise and the couple may simply be paying for the hour of fun with the lesson as an excuse.  They might be a lot less happy if you said no, so why not just continue?

Convinced yet? Smiley

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 08:08:16 PM »

Nope.  Grin

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 07:54:53 AM »

I agree - you can't change someone's goals, they have to do it themselves.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 07:41:57 PM »

Indeed it is like that for many things, but if people are happy with their journey then who are we to judge.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: