partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 07:12:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116489 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter...
| | |-+  Just to chat... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  Merry, Mad and and Maudlin Musings
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: Merry, Mad and and Maudlin Musings  (Read 5689 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2013, 08:38:02 AM »

I asked DS to figure out an app on my mobile phone last night.   When I got up this morning, he had programmed his father's phone number to say [expletive] last name.

I guess that clears up a few things.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2013, 08:04:05 PM »

4.5 km in 30+ temps is probably too much Tongue

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2013, 05:34:15 AM »

Dear son's first day of work yielded mixed results.  Perhaps I should have given him more specific instructions ... *sigh*

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2013, 05:59:34 AM »

we all have to learn... and at each stage we have to learn to teach too; durn children keep changing!

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2013, 06:06:29 AM »

Also reminds me of a thread on one of the FB dance boards I frequent.   A gentleman was lamenting about all the times he goes to dances and sees other guys use the restroom and leave without washing their hands.  Oh! *shudder*
Amazing pic!

On washing hands.  It really depends on what they did.  Hygene is important but its wrong to treat urination and defacation with the same concern.  If your body is clean (read you had a shower and washed with soap) then urinating is actually not an act that exposes you to a significant pathological bacterial risk.  Indeed, urine is one of the cleanest liquids you can come across - tis said you should use it to wash wounds with in the field.  Faeces, on the other hand, are quite the opposite: while the most of the bacteria are healthy useful creatures that serve to digest food, it also is an incubator for pathogens.

Thus, kids should be taught to ALWAYS wash their hands after #2.

Sorry to get so particular but I've never even read this anywhere.

And I don't think the urinal-sink will work.  More likely the guys will spit in it Tongue

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2013, 06:09:20 AM »

Yes.  Urine is clean; I've heard that before.  That doesn't mean I want someone else's on my hands, though.  Grin

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2013, 08:59:45 AM »

Nobody under the age of forty knows how to bag groceries.

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2013, 10:06:03 PM »

I have a friend who makes the creepiest steam punk leather costumes ever.  Steam punk I understand.  But his work is absolutely creepy.  It's really hard pretending that his work doesn't gross me out. *shudder*

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2013, 03:17:26 AM »

Why would anyone want a tongue piercing? Eww.  They look nasty and (at least to my generation) raise questions about promiscuity. They're like a tramp stamp inside your mouth.  Yuck.

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2013, 03:48:14 AM »

I ran into a young woman at work yesterday who is a breastfeeding Mom.  She was pumping her milk ... in the bathroom.

I didn't know whether to hug her in support (I did the same thing for DS for a full year.) or to smack her around for pumping in the bathroom.  Surely there's got to be a better way.

The things women go through. *sigh*
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:31:55 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2013, 03:12:55 AM »

Confession: I was mean to a lady at the movies yesterday.

DS and I went to see Despicable Me 2 (currently the #1 movie in the world, unless something changed since I last checked.)  I knew it would be crowded, so we got there half an hour early, when the theater was mostly empty.  DS picked his favorite seats on the very top row.  We had time for a bathroom break apiece, plus time to get popcorn, hotdogs, and drinks while the previews were running.

After the pre-movie commercials (something called First Look, where they advertise upcoming TV shows) and after all the previews, a family of seven entered the theater.  I wouldn't have noticed them, except that the Mom came in, turned on the flashlight function on her cell phone, and started trying to find seats for everyone.  She seated her two kids on one row.  Then she seated her mother, her husband and another kid on another row.  Then she found a seat for her Dad.  All amidst discussion and with the flashlight glare. This didn't bother me too much, because she was at least fifteen rows down.  I could have done without the flashlight, but all right.  Whatever.  Finally, she found a seat for herself.  Right next to me.  On the back row.

What got me mad was when she asked me and DS (who'd been there thirty five minutes by this time and who were missing the opening scenes of the movie) to move over, so she could have five seats together for her family of seven.  Uhh... No!  I said, "No.  Just let us enjoy the movie!"

I understand how hard it is to rally a large family group and get everybody there on time.  But two things, or maybe three.  One:  This movie is so popular that it was playing roughly every forty-five minutes, on one screen or another.  Five minutes late for this showing = right on time for the next one, if you want time to get everybody settled (which is what DS and I did.)   Two.  there were entire rows of seats empty near the front of the theater.  Not ideal, but, when you're trying to seat seven together, you can't be choosy.  BTDT.  Three.  How do five seats together help seven people?  Four: It is just plain rude to bring your flashlight into a darkened theater, so that you can noisily find your seats at your convenience while disturbing everybody else.

I still felt mean, though ... *sigh*

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2013, 08:23:34 PM »

Random:  The way to a woman's heart is by talking about her kids.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2013, 09:43:54 PM »

I ran into a young woman at work yesterday who is a breastfeeding Mom.  She was pumping her milk ... in the bathroom.

I didn't know whether to hug her in support (I did the same thing for DS for a full year.) or to smack her around for pumping in the bathroom.  Surely there's got to be a better way.

The things women go through. *sigh*
so (looking back) we wouldn't want to touch someone else's urine - yet we make a woman pump her babies food in the toilet.
now that's truly weird...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2013, 02:42:58 AM »

The US has a long way to go, when it comes to taking care of mothers and babies.

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2013, 02:57:10 AM »

I should add.  For example, US companies are required to provide maternity leave for new parents (birth or adoptive, man or woman) But they are not required to pay them for the time off.   Companies are NOT required to provide facilities for nursing mothers to pump, nor are they required to provide time for moms to pump. So it's the luck of the draw, for nursing moms.

The place where I worked when DS was a baby had a very nice nursing mothers' lounge, with comfy reclining chairs, soft music, dimmer switches on the lights, a water fountain, and lots of electrical outlets.  Perfect ... except it was a ten minute walk from my desk, when I generally took fifteen minute breaks.  But at least the intentions were good.  *shrug*

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: