partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 01:40:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter...
| | |-+  Just to chat... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  Merry, Mad and and Maudlin Musings
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Merry, Mad and and Maudlin Musings  (Read 6065 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2013, 04:40:42 AM »

Oh my goodness!  Just saw this on NPR.  A sink urinal.  It's supposed to encourage men to was their hands.  I think it just looks confusing.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/07/09/200367795/the-sink-urinal-saves-water-encourages-men-to-wash-hands?utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20130709

Also reminds me of a thread on one of the FB dance boards I frequent.   A gentleman was lamenting about all the times he goes to dances and sees other guys use the restroom and leave without washing their hands.  Oh! *shudder*

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2013, 04:42:45 AM »

Wherever DS goes, trash accumulates at an amazing rate.  My own personal Pigpen (character from Charlie Brown.)
does anyone on the planet not know pigpen? 
Actually, I don't know if CB carried over to this generation...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2013, 04:46:38 AM »

I'm pretty sure even younguns know Charlie Brown, but I've learned not to assume.  DS and I often watch The Simpsons together (not my choice.  His.)  It amazes me how many of the cultural references he misses completely.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2013, 04:59:35 AM »

perhaps TV is getting sated as an art form: there is enough excellent old stuff that there is not much need to look at the new.

Same thing happened with popular music - the kids are happy to listen to the beatles or eurythmics since the accumulated good music is so much better than the current average (its tough competing with 50 yrs of productivity).

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2013, 05:05:48 AM »

I can only quote American cultural references, but to use television, for example, there was a handful of shows during the infancy of TV that still get copied in shows today.   I'm not sure if it's because the artists involved were revolutionary or if it's because those early shows hit on human archetypes. But there you have it.  It's hard, these days, to come up with anything that's truly new.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2013, 05:11:50 AM »

I can only quote American cultural references, but to use television, for example, there was a handful of shows during the infancy of TV that still get copied in shows today.   I'm not sure if it's because the artists involved were revolutionary or if it's because those early shows hit on human archetypes. But there you have it.  It's hard, these days, to come up with anything that's truly new.
its worse than that - art forms get stylized and taken over by managers, not creative people.  Managers are after a reliable product because art by itself is capricious - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

In the olden days people wrote new music to go in new movies.  Then managers realized that they did not have to take the chance of commissioning music but could simply take recent hits and add them - or worse just cover something that was tested and pay royalties.  What movie has a truly original soundtrack anymore? I don't think anyone could make a modern 'Sound of Music'...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2013, 05:22:08 AM »

I thought I was the only one irked by the trend of using recycled pop music in movie soundtracks. 

One thing that has really helped the music industry is things like youtube and file sharing.  so, even though many artists are still slaves of the big music industry, many are not. So, for example, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, a band whose songs have dominated the pop and other charts for months, does not have a standard recording contract.  They make and promote their own music their way.  their only agreement with the music industry involves getting radio play.  It's a pretty cool way of doing things, because they don't have to fit into anybody's preconceived musical pigeonholes.

Not sure how that would work in the film industry, though, since even indy films are generally big ticket items, these days.  Maybe crowd funding?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2013, 09:58:59 PM »

the problem as ever is how do you translate recognition earned on Utube into cash to pay the mortgage?

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2013, 10:21:18 PM »

I don't know exactly how they did it, but I'm pretty sure it involved loading stuff for free download at first, to build visibility.  Later, they made their tracks available for sale on iTunes and other music sales sites.  They've sold millions of records.   I remember a couple months ago, one of their songs replaced another of their songs at the number one slot.  they're clearly doing something right. while eschewing the traditional recording contract model.  Very cool.

I'm sure there are books about the marketing model they're using but things change so quickly these days that their methods probably don't work anymore.

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2013, 04:31:45 AM »

A woman at work has a much smaller vocabulary than she thinks she does.

Yesterday's murdered expression:

use an action verb to describe yourself (Uhhh ... that's called an adjective, not a verb)

*pulling hair out by the root*
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:11:30 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2013, 02:23:39 PM »

Just why are toasted bagels so delicious?  I mean there weren't any running wild in Africa ...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2013, 08:29:23 PM »

Just why are toasted bagels so delicious?  I mean there weren't any running wild in Africa ...

*drooling*

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2013, 09:47:42 PM »

I'm 99% sure that a 19-year-old kid at work is hitting on me.  Leaving aside for a moment the whole Oedipal thingie, I find that very flattering. Weird.  But flattering. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2013, 05:11:51 AM »

I'm 99% sure that a 19-year-old kid at work is hitting on me.  Leaving aside for a moment the whole Oedipal thingie, I find that very flattering. Weird.  But flattering. Smiley
wait till its someone younger than your son... :Shocked

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2013, 05:46:16 AM »

This is close enough.  thank you very much.  Wink

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: