partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 05:49:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  What makes dance dance?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What makes dance dance?  (Read 882 times)
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 09:58:52 PM »

And BOT.

I like where Damon is going.  Dance is movement with the intention of musical interpretation.  That works for me, except I think it may be incomplete. I have to wonder. Is it possible to dance without intending to? 

I like that definition, too.

As for intention, in my opinion, it will depend on what you meant by intending. Many of the body actions/movements that we considered to be part of dancing is more or less a "reaction" to what we do. For instance, I didn't intend to wiggle my hips in Latin, it just comes with the package...although sometimes I do intend to exaggerate my hip motion.

On the other hand, intention as in "I move with the intention to dance," then I think it is valid.

On yet another side of the hand, how about dancing in a more primitive form? Like, people drinking (alcohol) eating singing and dancing around a camp fire? The main intention of this kind of dancing seems to be expressing people's enjoyment - interpreting dancing seems to just be a side effect. Do we consider those as dancing?

Of course, if our focus is to answer ballroom related questions, we might not have to get that far away (thank goodness) since ballroom (as in standard + Latin) has a more rigorous line.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 10:03:29 PM »

so if you move with the wind and rain its not dancing?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 10:08:16 PM »

Did you ever see the stage show or movie Stomp!

I think it's entirely possible to dance to the rain or wind.  There's music in there.

I'll try to find a youtube clip to illustrate what I mean.

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 10:09:19 PM »

so if you move with the wind and rain its not dancing?

Well, if your intention is dancing, then you are dancing Grin (sounds like a logic loop).
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 10:17:52 PM »

Here's a clip from one number in the stage show. Brooms make music and (arguably) dance.Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ7aYQtIldg

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 10:27:50 PM »

then you had better define music, cause this isn't goin nowhere... Tongue

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 10:43:06 PM »

Hence the allure of starting this topic. Each of us is going to be in a different placeon the topic,so there's plenty to discuss.

I grabbed this quick web definition of music.  IMV,  Stomp fits.

Quote from:  web definition
mu·sic 
/?myo?ozik/
Noun
The art or science of combining vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.
The vocal or instrumental sound produced in this way.

Our bodies or other physical entities can be thought of as instruments.  Intentional rhythmic movement to those instruments could be thought of as dance.

Reminds me of my first exposure to eurythmics, back in ninth grade orchestra.  We were playing ... I think ... The Unfinished  Symphony, when the orchestra director told us all to put down our instruments and "play" our parts without instruments.  We could do anything.  Stomp. Shout. Tap. Clap.   Anything.  Just no singing or playing our instruments.

Interesting. Smiley

My take, at least as it pertains to the original question (Is stripping dance?) is that, if something is offensive or aesthetically unpleasant to us,we sometimes reject it.  I cannot count the number of times I have had people vehemently tell me that freestyle dancing isn't really legitimate. It's just "booty dancing."  Well.  That's possible. Or it's possible that those people do't like or look down on "booty dancing."  that doesn't stop it from being dancing, IMV.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 10:44:40 PM »

Here's a clip from one number in the stage show. Brooms make music and (arguably) dance.Smiley

reminds me of the Mickey Mouse - the sorcerer's apprentice!  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSTWy25hRiI

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 10:45:36 PM »

what if htere is no noise but you are dancing to a whim in your mind?
what then?

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 10:46:30 PM »

reminds me of the Mickey Mouse - the sorcerer's apprentice!  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSTWy25hRiI

There've been a bunch of incarnations of the stage show and a couple movies, IIRC.  Pretty cool.Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 10:47:42 PM »

what then?

Exactly.   Still thinking about it. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2013, 11:59:23 PM »

what then?

I was thinking on this scenario, too. And I think P13 said it well - in this case, the music is within the performer's body, and the body is the instrument for both dance and music.

I am currently a bit concerned on both no music and no dancing - i.e. Standing still in silence, for the entire show, by yourself (so you are not making a contrast to other people, or to the moving you will be, or were making). Is that still dancing? It is kinda similar to turning in a white canvas as say that that is a painting (thought about it, and saw someone did it).
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 06:01:13 AM »

interesting question - and I suspect each person will have thier own definition that will vary from 'move your body' to 'learn a formal dance style' Smiley  To me dance is 'body movement dedicated to expression'.  there, thats about as general as I can make it.  I thought about adding music - but one can dance without music, even without music in your mind...

ahem... Roll Eyes

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 03:08:30 PM »

what then?

I was thinking on this scenario, too. And I think P13 said it well - in this case, the music is within the performer's body, and the body is the instrument for both dance and music.

I am currently a bit concerned on both no music and no dancing - i.e. Standing still in silence, for the entire show, by yourself (so you are not making a contrast to other people, or to the moving you will be, or were making). Is that still dancing? It is kinda similar to turning in a white canvas as say that that is a painting (thought about it, and saw someone did it).

I suppose I'm going to go with intent, here, as well. millitiz. I'm not sure whether complete stillness could be considered dance unless it's in contrast to movement, but I am sure that, at least in my book, complete stillness IS dance if it's considered in the context of movement.

And when you talk music,the idea of extended silence has been explored by experimental composers.  There's a famous piece by John Cage which is 4 minutes and 33 seconds of NOT playing anything.  If that is music, then stillness can be dance, I suppose.

And,to take it a little further, complete physical stillness can take more active engagement of muscles than movement does.

Just something to think about ... and I am. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: