partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2015, 05:26:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116982 Posts in 1874 Topics by 226 Members
Latest Member: Dance20Grit
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Exercises (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Exercises to improve posture for dance?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Exercises to improve posture for dance?  (Read 1534 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: June 12, 2013, 10:02:22 AM »

Other than repeatedly reminding oneself, that is.  Does anyone here have exercises or drills they do to improve their posture?

Dona nobis pacem.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 03:25:56 AM »

Repeatedly reminding oneself  Tongue
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 03:32:26 AM »

Yes.That's pretty much what I came up with. Must google.

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 03:41:48 AM »

Did I mention that I love google?

Lookslike most of the exercises for posture focus on the core

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/strength-training/6-strength-exercises-to-improve-posture.html#b

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/better-posture-exercises

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 01:57:18 AM »

Has anybody tried these posture braces as sold by Edie the Salsa Freak?   She swears that good posture enables good spins, among other things.

http://www.dancefreak.com/posture-brace.php

Dona nobis pacem.
sandralw
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 02:37:19 AM »

I absolutely HATE the word Posture! 

To me it conotates a fixed position such as a soldier at ATTENTION.

I prefer to use the word POISE. 

To me it conjures up the mental image of being poised (or ready) to move onward. 

Anyone else feel this way?
Some guy
Silver

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 02:08:17 PM »

I would agree: most have a pre-existing idea what words mean. Strangely, I've seen both words mess up people because the whole idea of rigidity and a misaligned body seems to spring forth.
sandralw
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 10:02:32 PM »

Yep... The blocks of weight all have to be in proper alignment to move correctly and with ease.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 04:53:39 PM »

Be a child! Study children! Pay attention!

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
sandralw
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 02:28:32 AM »

Be a child! Study children! Pay attention!

DSV

SO true!  They are the most natural before they have "learned" and begun to mimic those around them with all of the bad habits in place.

Or...

Study a cat... especially when they are stalking prey... great for Tango.

AND...

The Meerkat... who are in perfect balance and alignment... Perfect Alexander Technique with head lifted forward and up, off the spine and their body hanging in perfect alignment below.  It is what I saw every time I looked at Bill Irvine. 
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 11:51:39 PM »

I am currently working on my core.  I was trying to get on a study regarding regrowing cartridge in knees but I have been informed that my knees have deteriorated that I am not a good candidate.

This is most disappointing news from one perspective.

I am able to dance which surprises them but as the condition of the knees are so bad, I have taken many tablets, potions and lotions and I have increased my walking speed considerably to maintain fitness and stamina, so much for needing cartilage Cheesy

But was is happening is that my legs are bowing..I have always had bow legs but because the function is changing it is changing the structure of my other joints, so back to the orthopedic person to see what they have to say,hopefully it may be just more exercises. I wont give up dancing but I may have to give up competing if the results are going backwards due to the quality of my dancing (if that is the reason ie being the use of my knees). I can dance without pain

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Some guy
Silver

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 04:13:38 PM »

Before starting with the Body School of ballroom, I was told I would never dance again.  I had no cushioning left in my feet, my knees, ankles, and hips were diagnosed with arthritis which required injections regularly to loosen up, and my arches had collapsed. 

The Body School not only fixed all of that, it improved everything.  There are alternatives out there, and it comes from a very deep understanding of how the body works, and I'm sorry to say, there's only one school of thought in the ballroom world that incorporates that knowledge into the dancing.  I've gone on to teach this methods to two doctors who both believed their knees and hips were beyond repair.  Three months later, going against everything Western medicine proclaimed to them, they were completely fixed.  Not to mention, they were both completely baffled because their knowledge of science and medicine could not explain how they themselves were cured.   

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 05:56:44 AM »

Sounds wonderful.Cheesy Well I keep working through and using my body. yes they may be nothing left but like you I won't let it stop me. I hope that one day the Body School will get here to Australia.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 11:38:59 AM »

The father of the Body School developed it due to his wife having bad knees and back using the Traditional School of Thought.

Some top dancers have found the Body School because of looking for a way to continue to dance. Some injured dancer also find the Body School after a desperate search.

It is a shame that this amazing information is so difficult to get to. Many professionals feel that it is too easy and is sure can't be that simple. They also fear that it will not provide an income. They don't understand the saying that one of my teachers often say "don't let the simplicity fool you into believing it is easy and no work"

DSV

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 11:43:20 AM »

I've gone on to teach this methods to two doctors who both believed their knees and hips were beyond repair.  Three months later, going against everything Western medicine proclaimed to them, they were completely fixed.  Not to mention, they were both completely baffled because their knowledge of science and medicine could not explain how they themselves were cured.   

How wonderful to read that SG. Hopefully one day doctors will prescribe dancing instead of putting people on pain medication and have people have unnecessary operations.

I live in hope!

DSV

Edward Teller
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: