partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 12:04:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Healthy dance teacher/student relationships
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Healthy dance teacher/student relationships  (Read 143 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: June 12, 2013, 09:44:32 AM »

I've had this topic approached from the opposite side so many times. People come to forums like this one because something has gone wrong with their dance "relationship."  They think the teacher is controlling or exploitative.  They've fallen in love with the teacher and don't know what to do.  They think the teacher is in love with them. They think the teacher is using them to pad their wallets.  They feel it would be disloyal to consider leaving a studio or teacher. They're unhappy with non-fraternization policies.  Etc. If you've been around these boards for a while, you've probably heard all of these things and maybe experienced a few yourself.

So today, I'd like to approach this issue from the opposite side.  How do you know when you have a great teacher student relationship? How do you find a balance? What do you think some of the roadblocks to great professional relationships are?  Any personal examples that you'd care to share?

Personally, I believe that one of the biggest issues for newer students,especially,is that dance can be physically intimate,so it can be difficult to separate that physical intimacy from emotional intimacy.

And occasionally, you have dance teachers who exploit that intimacy for a variety of reasons. I had one in particular,who used all sorts of sexual innuendo -- not in a clean, healthy way as mentioned in DSVs x-rated teachers thread (which is hilarious) but in ways that, in retrospect, were totally inappropriate.  It didn't help any that my marriage was on the rocks at the time.  Nor did it help that this teacher had a history of dating his students.  *sigh*

Not sure what I could have done to make that into a healthy relationship -- other than quitting sooner, I suppose.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: