partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 09:51:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116489 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  How to do the right kind of "rise" in slowfox
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: How to do the right kind of "rise" in slowfox  (Read 3390 times)
LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 12:37:57 PM »

If I may interrupt - I have what I hope is not a stupid question. What is the difference between slowfox and foxtrot. TIA!!!

"I believe that we are never more truly and profoundly human than when we dance” - José Limón
-------------------------------------
"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." ~Anonymous
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 02:31:24 PM »

Here's an interesting thought for you... Why does foxtrot use quick rise and waltz use gradual rise for the majority of figures?

Is this international style?  If so I agree with SG - I don't think we do any quick rises in FT...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ahowlett1
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 10:13:27 PM »

I guess I should define the difference between quick rise and gradual rise. Quick rise occur when the transition from down to up occurs over one step. Gradual rise occurs over a series of steps. For example: 1 - 3 Natural Turn in Waltz has, Commence to rise end of 1, continue to rise on 2, continue to rise on 3, lower end of 3.

A Feather Step in Slow Foxtrot has: Rise end of 1, up 2, up 3, lower end of 3. 

Any ideas why this might be?
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 08:26:31 AM »

I did a quick Google of "body rise dance" and got some hits. One was Alex Moore's book called Ballroom Dancing, which goes into a lot of detail on rise/fall in all the dances. Here is a link to some sample pages of this book at Amazon.

http://books.google.com/books?id=97x3V6Xl2CcC&pg=PA20&lpg=PA20&dq=body+rise+dance&source=bl&ots=Vk1WEqp7i3&sig=jLxbdRAOrSNS1zS1ax4FkoqdO0M&hl=en&ei=-vssSo3ZK5fKtgfwgc3CCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5#PPP1,M1

Also found a Wikipedia page on rise and fall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rises_and_falls

Also found this write-up:

http://www.sandance.us/docs/rise_n_fall.pdf

There were other links, but thought would list these. Not sure which is best general definition for body rise. Maybe someone can suggest.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:34:25 AM by pruthe » Logged

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 03:52:57 AM »

Here's an interesting thought for you... Why does foxtrot use quick rise and waltz use gradual rise for the majority of figures?
The answer here is a simplistic one; Fox hovers...waltz glides. This is often ignored in the waltz...don't know why, other than it is not easy to dance at first.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
ahowlett1
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 08:42:23 PM »

Almost Tangodancer..   Waltz has contiuation of rise due to the closure of the feet. Foxtrot has no continuation of rise due to passing of the feet. In general terms.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 11:57:23 PM »

Almost Tangodancer..   Waltz has contiuation of rise due to the closure of the feet. Foxtrot has no continuation of rise due to passing of the feet. In general terms.

Oh...You're going to have to give me more on that one. I believe that I understand what you mean, but both have continuation of rise. The difference is when and how the rise occurs that differentiates the movements. Yes?

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
ahowlett1
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 08:37:49 AM »

Now that would be giving the game away wouldn't it Tangodancer.  Wink

Slow Foxtrot uses quick rise, ie: Rise e/o 1, whereas Waltz uses Gradual Rise: ie: commence to rise e/o 1. in very general terms.

I would be interested to hear your teacher's thoughts on this.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 01:10:29 AM »

Slow Foxtrot uses quick rise, ie: Rise e/o 1, whereas Waltz uses Gradual Rise: ie: commence to rise e/o 1. in very general terms.

I think, you (ahowlett1) would have a little hard time to check with the teachers of TD and I had, as most of them are no longer with us (ecept Peter Eggleton and Doreen Freeman). We have had many of the same teachers from England. Many of who were many times world champions and world finalists. If you were to look at who was in the final from the late 1950's up until the 1970, you would have our teachers. 

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 02:10:48 AM »

DSV is correct. It is sad that many of our teachers are no longer with us. Thank God for the few who are. Yet, I, DSV, and others lucky enough to have been blessed by these rarities, strive to proudly perpetuate their wisdom.

Re your post AH, though I do not like the term 'quick rise', you are correct as to rise in Fox/Waltz. another teacher of mine (martial arts) said "Care not to miss the beauty of life while focusing on the beauty of the moment, and care not to miss the beauty of the moment pondering the beauty of life." The first part of that comes to mind here. You previously mentioned not the rise but the continuation of rise which is why I orig. said that both have continuation of rise, and asked that you give me a wee more to go on. Good discussion, though.

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 10:58:02 AM »

DSV is correct. It is sad that many of our teachers are no longer with us. Thank God for the few who are. Yet, I, DSV, and others lucky enough to have been blessed by these rarities, strive to proudly perpetuate their wisdom.

Those that were blessed with the teachings of these grand masters are trained with a very strong understanding of the insights that are not often taught by today’s teachers. Lots of the information written down are written in a way that you need to understand the insights to understand the deeper meaning of the words used. Those that were trained by these grand masters, for the most part, have a strong sense of duty to pass the information on that we received. They gave us a rare gift that we are happy to share. Some times these gifts are so rare that most dancers don't know of their existence and therefore have never heard of them before. It doesn’t mean this information is not true; it is just not heard of often and therefore can be mistaken for being fantasies.

If you have a change to work with a teacher that was either taught by one or more of these grand masters or have access to somebody connected to one or more of these grand masters, then connect to them and do as you are told.

Dora-Satya Veda

I know this is off topic but IMHO it is important....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:04:11 PM by Dora-Satya Veda » Logged

Edward Teller
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 09:59:50 PM »

Those that were blessed with the teachings of these grand masters are trained with a very strong understanding of the insights that are not often taught by today’s teachers. Lots of the information written down are written in a way that you need to understand the insights to understand the deeper meaning of the words used. Those that were trained by these grand masters, for the most part, have a strong sense of duty to pass the information on that we received. They gave us a rare gift that we are happy to share. Some times these gifts are so rare that most dancers don't know of their existence and therefore have never heard of them before. It doesn’t mean this information is not true; it is just not heard of often and therefore can be mistaken for being fantasies.

If you have a change to work with a teacher that was either taught by one or more of these grand masters or have access to somebody connected to one or more of these grand masters, then connect to them and do as you are told.

Dora-Satya Veda

I know this is of topic but it is important....
Yes master.....

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 10:03:45 PM »

Sorry, I was not trying to dictate any of you to do anything Embarrassed. I just thought it was it was information that was important to get out.  Smiley

Edward Teller
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 10:05:05 PM »

Sorry, I was not trying to dictate any of you to do anything Embarrassed. I just thought it was it was information that was important to get out.  Smiley
Just loved your comment DSV, passionate to the end

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2009, 10:09:45 PM »

Just loved your comment DSV, passionate to the end

I guess you know me by now Wink.

OK, OK, I am obsessive compulsive, OTT and very, very passionate about what I do with my life, time and thoughts, in short everything. Tongue Wink Grin

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: