partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 02:17:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  How to do the right kind of "rise" in slowfox
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: How to do the right kind of "rise" in slowfox  (Read 3464 times)
dream a little dream
Silver

« on: April 23, 2009, 01:02:21 PM »

Okay, admittedly I am very new to SlowFox, but I struggle with this every time I do it.

I always want to rise from the knees when I do SlowFox...is this right?  I have been told that I should be doing "body rise" and not "knee rise" and certainly not "foot rise".  How can I dance SlowFox and not rise from the knees?
Anyone have any ideas or am I just way off base?

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 01:13:55 PM »

What a great topic!!!  I would love to hear more on this.  I know we have some experts and highly ranked dancers on here that can help. 

My two cents: just because it was taught to me as "walking to music", the same way our knees don't become the focus when walking, they get overly focussed on when dancing Foxtrot.  "Body rise"? ...still trying to understand that. 
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:09:06 AM »

I believe and I hope that the Pros here will explain it better.. I believe it comes from the ankles and the stretching of the body that give the rise,n the man has a lot of contra body twist to keep his body in the direction of the feet.

I am happy to be stand corrected Smiley

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 08:33:47 AM »

from what i understand, the lady elongates her body as much as possible, using hips, stomach knees and ankles which allows a slight raise. There are some circumstances where the lasy must rise such as a reverse wave, these steps use the exact same technique as the male counterpart steps: a heel toe, toe, toe lower rise.

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 12:22:02 AM »

That is a great question, dream a little dream. I have always learned there are many different kinds of rise. It all depends on the step that you are dancing and what “school of thought” you are following to which rises are used when.

Sorry for such a vague answer.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 03:49:42 PM »

Coincidentally, "dream a little dream [of me]" sung by "Beautiful South" is a wonderful foxtrot!
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 04:20:08 PM »

I haven't heard the song by Beautiful South, but it does make a nice foxtrot, doesn't it? Smiley

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 03:06:52 AM »

I love foxtrot music, is just makes you feel good....

Dance Forum
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 09:11:47 AM »

Slow Fox and Crooners............Golden Combos'

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 11:42:06 AM »

I haven't heard the song by Beautiful South, but it does make a nice foxtrot, doesn't it? Smiley

Oh my gosh!  Youtube it now!  You'll love it! The lady that sings it is young, but she has the perfect voice and tone for the song.  It's from an old Meg Ryan movie. 

The other singer that I didn't expect to be able to depict a foxtrot purely with his voice is Michael Buble.  I think he's a great singer, but he blew me away with his rendition of "Mack the Knife".  He "dances" foxtrot with his voice.  I tried dancing to his voice and not the beat, and it was the best foxtrot interpretation I've ever done.  It really gives you the feeling of "owning" the music as opposed to being "pwned" [sic] by the music (sorry, computer/console gamer lingo). 
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 10:59:01 PM »

Oh I agree, you can't sit still, but our coach showes something last night about Foxtrot, he did it without his arms and just used his body, so show us the illusion of the swing component.. it is not as big as people think. It was a very interesting excercise

Dance Forum
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 02:56:45 AM »

On the subject of rise, DSV is correct. Re the standard rise that results within the walk, ZP is headed there. The lady's rise is different from the guy's. She has what the books unenlightening refer to as BRNFR...body rise, no foot rise. However, if you can imagine it, be a marionette with a string at the crown of the head, and another at the top of the sternum. As the ankles are coming together, and as the foot is weighted, the pupeteer lifts both strings simultaneously, thus lifting the body, not from the bottom up, but from the top down. Here's the thing; rememebr the part about "as" the foot is weighted? You should feel that the body is being pulled apart...grounded from the waist down while rising from waist up.

At least fairly aware for a lead, I know. I missed this on a certification exam, and wll never forget it.   Cheesy

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
ahowlett1
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 07:35:19 AM »

Here's an interesting thought for you... Why does foxtrot use quick rise and waltz use gradual rise for the majority of figures?
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 12:24:17 PM »

Foxtrot is a more linear dance than the waltz? So having a quick rise connects the steps better?
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 12:29:03 PM »

Here's an interesting thought for you... Why does foxtrot use quick rise and waltz use gradual rise for the majority of figures?

I don't understand the question.  I feel like there's not too much of a difference in the speeds of the rise (not considering music tempo).  If I were to take a whack at it, I'd say Foxtrot has a more gradual rise due to the travel involved.  The more stretched out the rise, the more the body will be able to travel.  Am I completely off base?  Huh
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: