partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 05:03:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Photography-Video (Moderators: Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  watching yourself on a dance video
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: watching yourself on a dance video  (Read 1772 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: May 30, 2013, 11:21:22 PM »

this came up on the dance video topic: do you like watching yourself on a video -specially when dancing?

I guess I'm narcisistic as I love to see it.  Its really not that I admire myself at all - I can see the flaws just as well as anyone else - but I get back into the mood, I relive the romance of the dancing and - for the comp ones - the glamour I guess. 

What do others feel?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 01:32:00 AM »

I consider it more or less as a necessary evil. I watch it to evaluate myself, most likely negatively. It took me a few times to start getting used to watching myself and noticing the good things.

On the other hand, I do like to watch comps, especially the ones my friends competed in. I felt the surge of competitions, and would want to be there, dance it!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 06:59:02 AM »

I consider it more or less as a necessary evil. I watch it to evaluate myself, most likely negatively. It took me a few times to start getting used to watching myself and noticing the good things.

On the other hand, I do like to watch comps, especially the ones my friends competed in. I felt the surge of competitions, and would want to be there, dance it!
when you do compete DO get a video; even if you screw up is just a wonderful keeper.
I have videos going back to the early 90s!  Of course most are in formats I can no longer read:-\

millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 08:10:09 AM »

Ah yes. I actually did have some videos. As I said, I was on a team, so the team provided such service for free - the downside is, if there are other couples (from our team) on the floor, you will share the taped time.

It is free, so I am not going to complain. Beside, I don't know if I could withstand watching myself for the whole 1:30 Grin.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 09:06:39 AM »

lol!  I can understand that. Smiley

And you make a good point.   If it's free, take it.  Comp videos are decidedly NOT free. Not even close. *sigh*

Does anybody tape regular lessons?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 09:43:01 AM »

We tape my pro doing the routine as a reminder - but to be honest these tapes are little use to me mostly because he tapes my part - I find that very hard to 'follow'!  Next time I'm going to tape him doing his part, that way I think I can imagine myself into the following.

I used to tape DP and myself dancing to try to get some clues to improvement - but to be honest they were of very little value.

millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 10:41:40 AM »

Ah, yes. We did that, too. Some coach suggested us taping the lesson.

Do people find it helpful - in the cost effective way - compare to note taking only?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 11:12:37 AM »

I find I don't have time to review them Tongue

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 12:42:35 PM »

Ah, yes. We did that, too. Some coach suggested us taping the lesson.

Do people find it helpful - in the cost effective way - compare to note taking only?

I suspect it varies depending on the person. For visual learners, it may help a lot.  And as far as cost, if you already have a video recorder, I don't see where it makes much difference.

Personally, I learn well by taking notes as quickly as possible after learning something new. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 09:21:30 PM »

Review tapes or notes? Or both Tongue
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 09:39:44 PM »

Review tapes or notes? Or both Tongue
actually, anything; I'm too over comitteed.  Well, maybe over for someone else but its how I like to run my life Roll Eyes Grin

millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 09:36:01 PM »

I suspect it varies depending on the person. For visual learners, it may help a lot.  And as far as cost, if you already have a video recorder, I don't see where it makes much difference.

Personally, I learn well by taking notes as quickly as possible after learning something new. Smiley

Good point on the price part.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 10:12:26 PM »

Good point on the price part.

Goodpoint on the learning-type part too.  As a kinesthetic learner videos are just pretty moving pictures.  I guess thats why I'd like my pro to film himself doing HIS part, then I might be able to act my way through mine...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 07:34:19 AM »

I'm an auditory learner, so  the kinds of lessons that help me are the ones that annoy most other people - the talk about it to learn it kind.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 08:14:58 AM »

I'm an auditory learner, so  the kinds of lessons that help me are the ones that annoy most other people - the talk about it to learn it kind.
tell you what, I'll do it and tell you about it as I go.  We could save %50 on lessons...

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: