partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 07:29:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Imported, domestic or over the internet? Shoes, that is
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Imported, domestic or over the internet? Shoes, that is  (Read 690 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: May 20, 2013, 09:23:27 AM »

Just curious.  Where do you buy your shoes?    At a local dance shoe store?  Online?  Direct from the manufacturer?  From vendors at comps?  Other?

Over the years, I've run into people of all sorts of shoe-buying persuasions,  and every one has her/his preferred place to buy shoes.  In particular, there's one GF who always buys a certain brand of shoes that are manufactured in the UK.  She says that the mark-up here in the US  is so high that even with the cost of international shipping, her final price is much better if she buys shoes direct from the manufacturer.  Of course, she loves this brand of shoes, the fit is always good for her, she allows for a lot of lead time, and she usually order a couple pairs at a time.  But still...

At the other extreme, I have friends with hard-to-fit feet who never, ever buy shoes unless they've had a chance to try them on first.  Somewhere in the middle, I know folks who have a relationship with a reliable online retailer ( such as Showtime or Backbay Dancewear-- big retailers in the US) and who mail order shoes without fear because they're comfortable with the return policy.  I also know people who live in remote areas where there are no ballroom dance shoe stores, and who buy shoes when there's a vendor in town or at a comp.

So.  Question for you.  Where do you go, in the never-ending question for the perfect dance shoe?  
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:24:58 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
cha
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 06:53:30 PM »

This is interesting, Phoenix13.   I'm one of those people with VERY CHALLENGING FEET.   As a matter of fact, my podiatrist would prefer that I don't dance at all but I've already informed him that "that ain't gonna happen any time soon".    There is ONE local dance shop that sells a few ballroom/latin shoes - and I can't wear any of their products.  I can't tell you how many pairs of shoes I've given away because I couldn't wear them after one or two times. I've tried ordering custom made dance sneakers with suede soles - and they worked ok for a while but not so much now.  I can't wear heels at all - so it's challenging to find manufacturers who will accommodate a flat or very low, stable heel ballroom shoe.  I now have a pair of flat Celebrity shoes that tie over the top of my feet - they seem to be doing fine - so well in fact that I've now ordered another custom pair of sandals with a very low (1.25) stable sandal heel.  I've got my fingers crossed since that brand has done well so far.

It seems that it's very individual taste.  But it saddens me that I've met so many middle-aged women who have trouble with their feet who have had to give up dancing.  There are some brands that will (chrome?) a pair of street shoes - which may be a good option for difficult feet.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:28:23 PM »

Great!  I had heard that Celebrity would custom make any shoe in any heel.  I am thinking of the right company, right?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 04:14:24 AM »

I buy my practise shoes locally but my comp shoes at comps - its the only place where you can get the wide fittings and try them on. 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 04:45:07 AM »

I used to buy at a local store - since they give discount to our team members. Later on, I bought my favorite ones from yet another store, which was on sell, and the shoes are from UK (I was watching for that specific pair of shoes for a very very very long time, but was unwilling to buy it online before at least trying one pair on. Now that I have a pair, I would probably go with online, or straight manufacturers).

The girls in the team I used to be in, actually had the chance to order together from the manufacturer - so they can share the shipping fee, and get discount. They had the chance to try on the shoes (one of our members had a pair), and somehow got the measurement. I think it was pretty cool to get such a deal.
cha
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 05:21:27 AM »

Yes, Phoenix13 - Celebrity will custom make their shoes with any heel you want out of their large selection of heels - provided the last is a match.  They will also make two different size shoes for folks who have two different size feet.  The down side is that the custom shoes are not returnable unless the retailer deems the style to be able to be re-sold when you order.

Elisedancer - thank you for what should have been an obvious idea to me - if I went to competitions as an observer then I could try on shoes.

And Militz - it's terrific that the team was able to get a discount - marvelous!
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 06:09:36 AM »

I've been tempted to try Celebrity many times, but always worried about turn around time.I think they advertise six weeks, but have always been leery, for fear I won't have shoes when I need them.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 10:58:13 AM »

Yes, Phoenix13 - Celebrity will custom make their shoes with any heel you want out of their large selection of heels - provided the last is a match.  They will also make two different size shoes for folks who have two different size feet.  The down side is that the custom shoes are not returnable unless the retailer deems the style to be able to be re-sold when you order.

Elisedancer - thank you for what should have been an obvious idea to me - if I went to competitions as an observer then I could try on shoes.

And Militz - it's terrific that the team was able to get a discount - marvelous!
ED is fine Wink
You probably haven't found our abbreviations topic yet - you are one person that has it built in!! Smiley

millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 06:54:41 PM »

Girls are smart, so we don't mess up with them Grin
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 06:59:04 PM »

That's actually better than most places.  Most places won't take back custom shoes at all.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »

just because it has space for two extra toes on one foot and a tendon cast on the other doesn't mean they can't resell it Tongue  Grin

cha
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 10:55:40 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  Good one, ED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 09:12:08 AM »

Smiley nice to put some merriment underfoot... Roll Eyes

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 02:45:17 AM »

I've had great experiences with Showtime,which is based in Atlanta and Backbay, which is in Mass.    I wouldn't know what to recommend to anybody outside the US.  Non Us residents, do you have go-to places that one can order online?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 02:41:49 PM »

I've ended up mostly buying shoes at comps - the sellers may not have my size in stock (wide feet) but if I go at least a day before the end of the comp they can get one from their store.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: