partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 04:57:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Learning routines?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Learning routines?  (Read 4512 times)
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 09:53:20 AM »

Is there anyone here that learns best visually - by seeing it done and then imagining it as they are doing it? 

yes me. but not imagining it as I do it.

I see it and I do it. I may have to do it over and over, but if I see it, my brain seems to instinctively know what is being done and compensates. best for routine.

but still i learn tech. after, like I know said arm goes this way(and can put it that way0, but then I work on the gracefulness of said arm going that way.

did I explain it right?

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 07:19:58 AM »

I think the more I learn about dance, I am learning differently. When my teacher says more compression, I know what he wants, if he says he wants foot rise, then again I understand...If I were a beginner I would be standing there with my eyes wide open  Shocked

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 03:55:21 PM »

Is there anyone here that learns best visually - by seeing it done and then imagining it as they are doing it? 

yes me. but not imagining it as I do it.

I see it and I do it. I may have to do it over and over, but if I see it, my brain seems to instinctively know what is being done and compensates. best for routine.

but still i learn tech. after, like I know said arm goes this way(and can put it that way0, but then I work on the gracefulness of said arm going that way.

did I explain it right?

Certainly for me Smiley  I know exactly what you mean.  Maybe we ALL do it the same way !

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2009, 03:02:19 AM »

I can generally walk through a dance in my mind, I don't necessarily know all the steps by name. but we film them now so we have a reference point. But now we have added to our rotuine and learnt a new side. so the other routine now must be removed from my memory so the new one can take over.

Other than repetition is there any other secret to it Huh

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2009, 03:55:19 AM »

I think the more I learn about dance, I am learning differently. When my teacher says more compression, I know what he wants, if he says he wants foot rise, then again I understand...If I were a beginner I would be standing there with my eyes wide open  Shocked

I think thats right on Q - we learn better as we learn more.  Some of that must be obvious I guess but there are subtleties that sometimes quite surprise me - shaping in a new figure for example, its already in there so the body learns the new shape much more easily....

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2009, 02:04:03 AM »

What I am finding the most challenging at the moment is the new qstep routine... with all the hop skips flicks  etc....just remembering the pattern I have written them down in my own language and just need to repeat it often enough that it is committed to memory. I will get it... Cheesy

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2009, 03:57:11 AM »

Q - I also find this hard - it is much more difficult to follow QS if your partner has a lot of step and step sequences that he mixes up.  Usually, however, I find that the steps come out in quite a long recurring pattern and there are a very limited number that most leads use for emergencies.  I try to learn a side or so in one piece and then learn how to follow particular steps.  A big one for me is a scatter chasse to a hop vs the same to a skip.  But I think I have that well enough now to follow and not worry about it.

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 05:50:24 PM »

Just started choreography for a new show routine in my lesson today--a hardcore club cha-cha/samba.  It's a different way of learning a routine for me, as this time everything about it was my idea; usually I pick a song and have some general idea of what I'd like it to look like, but I leave the specifics up to my pro.  This time not only did I pick the song, but I have a very clear vision in my head of what I want the choreography to be.  So instead of just passively learning whatever choreography my pro shows me, this time I'm much more involved in the process, with my own input into the flow of things and such and actually working with my pro.  I'm learning it as we put it together instead of having the whole routine ready and picking it up as a whole.

It's interesting.  We'll see how it goes.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 08:35:44 AM »

Awesome - keep us posted - and we HAVE to have the video

GreenEyes26
Mind Workers
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 07:02:33 PM »

Most of the top dancers that I know, can’t remember routines. They may have sections they dance but not a set routine. They dance what the feel is right at that moment. They are totally in "the now".

My partner had sections of short sides. For a longer floor he would just add the sections together that he liked and dance them. Sometime he would get ideas by watching other couples at a competition and then dance those steps.

This is how one of my friends says it...“we get inspired and then feel a need to express that inspiration in the now”.

Dora-Satya Veda

My partner and I recently decided to adopt this strategy: memorizing sequences. We found that when we messed up or got stuck on the floor, we would lose composure. Having sequences allows us flexibility to react and change and still look natural.

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2011, 09:35:36 PM »

Its a balance between a too rigorous routine and no routine at all.  The hazard of the former is that you can not recover when there is an interuption or lack of floor space. The liability of the latter is that it means the initiator has to be creating all the time - and the responder has to be able to follow any lead (my goal).  I love the short sides idea - definitely something to aspire to as a great ballance...

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2012, 05:42:17 AM »

I'm back with OldPro (he's actually very young but he was my first pro - and I his first competition AM) and we've done a showcase together and a few lessons.  Now we will start working on competition routines and here I want it different.

Last time he insisted I take the step sequence and learn it rote.  The result (and I've had the same thing with another pro) is a knowledge base thats guaranteed to interfere with the dancing.  Just as you can not work for two bosses concurrently, you can not dance to two leaders - one external and another internal.  It may seem logical to the guy but at best it becomes mechanical and at worst it just becomes stress. 

This time I'm going to ask him to make a routine and then dance it with me.  I don't want a print out and I am not going to wander round the floor trying to recall the intricate step sequence.  I will learn it, but will do so through how he dances it, and not through my concept of it. 

Anyone else do it this way?

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2012, 09:18:54 AM »

that will be a test of his lead.....not doing pro am I am not sure how the partnership works. I did have a friend who was learning routines for  her medals and the coach she had kept changing things every week and she found that very frustrating.... You are the customer and they need to work the way you want. that is a test of their skills
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:17:20 PM by QPO » Logged

Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 10:14:55 AM »

I'm back with OldPro (he's actually very young but he was my first pro - and I his first competition AM) and we've done a showcase together and a few lessons.  Now we will start working on competition routines and here I want it different.

Last time he insisted I take the step sequence and learn it rote.  The result (and I've had the same thing with another pro) is a knowledge base thats guaranteed to interfere with the dancing.  Just as you can not work for two bosses concurrently, you can not dance to two leaders - one external and another internal.  It may seem logical to the guy but at best it becomes mechanical and at worst it just becomes stress. 

This time I'm going to ask him to make a routine and then dance it with me.  I don't want a print out and I am not going to wander round the floor trying to recall the intricate step sequence.  I will learn it, but will do so through how he dances it, and not through my concept of it. 

That is how I did it back in the day and how many couples my sister traines does it.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »

That is how I did it back in the day and how many couples my sister traines does it.

DSV
well, thats good enough for me.  Lets hope he can see the light..

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: