partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 10:08:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Learning routines?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Learning routines?  (Read 4794 times)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 11:08:32 PM »

Why does it need to take a quadrazillion times?Huh??

It takes me a quadrazillion times.   Roll Eyes

Sorry, not trying to be mean, just being devils advocate Smiley ……. why does it take you that many time??

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 01:59:22 AM »

I am not being taught routines at all. I am being taught to totally follow. Which is good.
A great thing. However, I did the same thing with my partner, but I did her a grave disservice. When the time came for her to teach, she was an absolutely beautiful dancer (national champion, etc), but didn't know the components, elements, or anything, nor how to teach them. She had just followed. After a while, she began to realize/recognize things. Today, she is as excellent as a teacher.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 02:59:39 AM »

Why does it need to take a quadrazillion times?Huh??

It takes me a quadrazillion times.   Roll Eyes

Then maybe you have not found your ideal way of learning... you maybe fighting against it, as I was.  How do you memorize normally?  Do you need to see it written down, hear it orally or actually work through it?  Once you figure that out (there are some cute internet tests - here's one http://www.ldpride.net/learning-style-test.html) find a way to learn with that method. 

As mentioned above, I discovered that I am an extreme kinesthetic learner - I have to go through the motions to learn.  telling me or showing me is next to useless but if I do it it goes in amost instantly.

Why educators don't do that for each student I have no idea.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 03:15:55 AM »

Then maybe you have not found your ideal way of learning... you maybe fighting against it, as I was.  How do you memorize normally?  Do you need to see it written down, hear it orally or actually work through it?  Once you figure that out (there are some cute internet tests - here's one http://www.ldpride.net/learning-style-test.html) find a way to learn with that method. 

I agree with Elise, there must be a better way for you to learn. You might have to do some research to find your way of learning. I can however assure you it will be worth the time and effort spend on the research.

Why educators don't do that for each student I have no idea.

When I took my dance teachers test, part of the test was on teaching methods. We learned to ask questions to find out how each student learns the best. We were to identify the best way of teaching them, within the answers to 10 questions and by studying the body language they were using. So some teachers do learn to alter their teaching to fit their students. I know there are not many at this movement, but I am sure that will change with time.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 03:22:13 AM »

Seems like the dance teachers were way ahead of the regular schools!

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 03:49:36 AM »

Seems like the dance teachers were way ahead of the regular schools!

Unfortunately school teachers don’t have the time to be able to take care of each child’s needs. IMHO they are also underpaid and underappreciated. I admire the work that they are able to do with the circumstances they are given.

We, dance teacher/coaches are really given the very best of circumstances, we can focus on one couple, person or small group at a time, we deal with students that really want to learn and we get paid well.

To be fair to the school teachers, I do think it is difficult to compare the two.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 04:15:03 AM »

You're right of course - but even when it is possible - at higher levels of education - there is no effort made.  I suppose then its assumed you have found your own way.

I think it would be tremendously beneficial to spend a few education dollars on helping each child learn how best they learn - and teaching teachers of the diversity (maybe they are already told, I don't know...)

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 04:27:44 AM »

You're right of course - but even when it is possible - at higher levels of education - there is no effort made.  I suppose then its assumed you have found your own way.

I think it would be tremendously beneficial to spend a few education dollars on helping each child learn how best they learn - and teaching teachers of the diversity (maybe they are already told, I don't know...)

I don't know either. All I can say is that I don't envy them their job.

Edward Teller
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 10:19:34 AM »

I don't know either. All I can say is that I don't envy them their job.

Amen to that!

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 09:06:35 PM »

The problem with learning is that we all learn differently. I believe there are three main groups...schools in general can only cater for one....and those that dont fit just have to suffer....

Dancing is more flexible in its approach to teaching and tries to accommodate a variety of methods to get the message across.. /some will never get it and generally don't come back. Sad Look what they are missing out on. :-)

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 09:09:48 PM »

The problem with learning is that we all learn differently. I believe there are three main groups...schools in general can only cater for one....and those that dont fit just have to suffer....

Dancing is more flexible in its approach to teaching and tries to accommodate a variety of methods to get the message across.. /some will never get it and generally don't come back. Sad Look what they are missing out on. :-)

so very true ....

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Becca
Open Bronze

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 09:34:12 PM »

Also... learning to teach someone something is a great way to learn as well...  you have to know it backwards and forwards and be able to answer questions about it.  Much more pressure that way.  When I am trying to learn something new I practice it then go back and think through it like i would explain it to someone else.  LOL sometimes I make my roommates sit and listen/be shown what I learned in my lessons, tehehe I think they might be getting bored with my constant talk of dance... but they wont be convinced to start dancing too... *sigh* hmmm, i'll have to keep working on them, they are missing out Cheesy

There is ALWAYS a reason to dance! Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 09:45:11 PM »

Is there anyone here that learns best visually - by seeing it done and then imagining it as they are doing it? 

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 03:43:13 AM »

Is there anyone here that learns best visually - by seeing it done and then imagining it as they are doing it? 

"here...here.." Putting my hand up* My partner does. He ses the whole routine in his mind as a image/picture and then he copies the image/picture he has in his mind, and just do it.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 08:07:29 AM »

so THATS the 'rest of the story'.  He's a visual learner and you (I'm guessing) are a kinethetic one.  he could pick up the routines and steps very fast just by seeing them while you could do the same by being danced through them.

I wonder how many top couples have that combination?

Indeed, I wonder if all top leads are either visual or aural learners?  I bet there are not a lot that are kinesthetic (feel it).  OTHO I bet most top followers are kinesthetic.  It would be such a fascinating thing to study.

ee

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: