partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 07:29:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Sharing practise floor: To move or not to move?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Sharing practise floor: To move or not to move?  (Read 1495 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 04:17:11 AM »

I don't think you can be that rigid CDN.  The outcome of your rules above is that latin couples, practicing say a chacha would always have to get out of the way of a standard couple that were coming through.  IMO it is the standard couples responsibility to dance clear of their practice. 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 03:10:54 PM »

So it seems that the general opinion is, as always, making compromises on both side.

I guess I have to add a few more descriptions - it was a pretty small room - About about 10m by 15m or slightly smaller (sorry, I have no sense in terms of feet)? So basically, there is no clear middle - or rather, if I am at the middle, and if they choose so - they'll still run into me. Does the size of the room change the etiquette of practicing?

Now let's add a bit more complexity into the question - assume that the room is surrounded by mirrors (which the room I practiced was - at least 2 sides of the room). Now, does the Latin dancers still need to occupy the middle of the room, even if they'd like to take a closer look at themselves in the mirror? (I am a bit - ok, REALLY short sighted. So I need to be pretty close to the mirror to see anything). Or should the rule still be apply?

I guess I'd share what I'd normally do, when I dance standard in practice, and the few other standard dancers I know of. Basically, I'd stop/slow down/change directions if I am about 2-3 meter away from the other dancers. Doesn't really matter where they are.

Furthermore, in competition, and even social dancing, once the space was claimed by someone, you don't run into that space, right? If someone does that, normally we'd consider them having terrible floorcraft, or just simply terrible in dancing (though I have to admit, there are examples otherwise...). I was roughly speaking, standing there. I think it is pretty obvious that that was my space.

Also, just one more note - though the room was small, there were only me and that couple dancing - and I was dancing maybe a few meters off the wall - seriously, they have the whole other half of the room...

I guess what really pissed me off was the fact that the follow told me what I should do - instead of thinking what she/they could do. I thought that was really arrogant (the wording wasn't too bad - but unfortunately, I felt the way I felt) - this is a bit off topic. I think this topic should be about - what are the proper etiquettes in practices? (and it seems that that was what people were discussing about)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 03:45:36 PM »

Certainly sound rude to me.  As with sharing everything, you should feel as if you are only getting 40% - then you might be close to 50 Wink.

You are right about floor craft - but that does not help very much in a typical practise session where you are trying to consolidate a lesson (usually on your routine).  Of course if they were practicing floorcraft they obviously have a long way to go!

Different studios have a different emphases - and hence a different hierarchy as to what form is more 'important'.  Thus, a studio well known for its Standard dancers may well be less tollerant of latin (and vice versa).  I've seen situations where one style is dominant and the dancers in that style change the music as if anyone dancing the opporite style is a second class citizen (or rather kibutzer!).

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 05:15:55 PM »

I wish social dances would have the occasional dance for competetive couples - everyone is still welcome on the floor but the understanding is that dancing will be for the zippy...  I think most social dancers would love to watch.

Hmm, there's an idea...  think I'll start a new topic.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 06:13:36 AM »

Wed evening is our main practise of the week and we us a full sized floor.  We have to share with 6-8 other couples, most of whom are beginner to intermediate or do latin.  The DJ switched from QS to rhumba while we were trying to work on our routine - this led to a rather bizarre dance where we were doing open quickstep with the floor studded with near-stationary couples.  It felt like we were the ball in one of those old flipper-pinball machines

but the object was to NOT hit any of the mushrooms....

cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 05:32:47 PM »

The more I dance the less it seems to be a factor. It's almost a game now, to see if I can use floorcraft and look elegant while getting out of a tight situation. I practice in studio's littered with teachers and students and the level is such that most people are out of the way, b4 you even know it.

It's like driving a car, isn't. Anticipation, looking ahead, being aware of what's around and more importantly, who is coming your way? Taking action before you'll actually in the situation in order to avoid it.

Salsa is different. There are two main styles, cuban (rotational) and LA (along a line of dance) and the two just don't mix together.

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 07:17:39 PM »

... and like driving, the real problems arise when you happen on a beginner by mistake Shocked

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 12:24:08 AM »

Our studio is not a huge one and so we often have to share the floor with dances being down by all styles...We focus on ours but occasionally find ourselves doing a foxtrot on rumba etc.   and have to stop and start again.

the other thing we often do is break it down it pieces and just practice a section so then we dont need much space or music.....

I dont worry about traffic anymore it improves me for when we are on the comp floor I get less flustered!  Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 04:09:24 AM »

Here's another vote for compromise.  IMO, The young lady who got snippy at the OP  was rude.  OTOH, it's a shared floor, so anything that one can d to play nicely with others is appreciated.

I like QPO's approach-- think of it as a floorcraft challenge.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 06:00:23 AM »

I cant believe that any studio can have the floor for one couples, it would not be a viable business. But if it works for that peson all good, but I know there is always something happening at our studio, as I mentioned previously it is good for floor-craft.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 07:37:24 AM »

I used to deliberately schedule my lessons for midday, and would often get the floor to myself.  But you're right.  During those busy evening hours, that was unheard of. The floor would often be split between a group class and several private lessons. Everyone had to be courteous.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: