partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 12:38:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116442 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  What can you learn from dance videos?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What can you learn from dance videos?  (Read 523 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: May 15, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »

When I was over on facebook this morning, looking for more interesting fan pages,  I ran across a page that piqued my interest. I won't tell you the name of the page, but basically, the website featured a bunch of videos -- both of interesting performances and links to/ads for instructional DVDs.  

I immediately dismissed the site as so much self-promotion.  Then I got to thinking.  May there is some value in this site, after all.  I, for one, am not a proponent of trying to learn dance entirely from video, but I do have quite a video collection.  I also check youtube almost daily. (I do know some people who have used only videos and no private instruction to learn dance but I'll leave them for later in this discussion.)

So.  just curious.  How do you use videos as part of your dance learning (if at all?)  And, if you do use them, what have you found them most useful for?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:36:17 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 07:55:16 PM »

Looking at myself Roll Eyes  I'm actually not being narcisistic - I should say critisizing myself.  Or maybe I am a bit too, it gives me pleasure to see myself dancing, I can relive the moment almost as if I was there.

Watching others?  Sometimes its inspiring and instructive but too often its not that useful since although you can see the outcome I now know too well that you can't see the method nor the intent.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 08:19:31 PM »

Oh yeah.  I think that videotaping lessons and/or reviewing comp or performance footage can be a very valuable learning tool (That's on my is of new topics for tomorrow.  Wink  I think there's a lot that can be learned from exchanging ideas on how to use those.

What I was trying to get at, here, is how much, if anything, you can learn dance by watching videos of other people dancing -- whether that be clips or instructional videos.

For example, the couple that I mentioned above who insisted on learning only from video were so, so proud to tell you that they'd never "had to" tae a single.  Too bad that they were so horrible to dance with that everyone avoided them at socials.  They felt ... stiff doesn't even begin to capture it.

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 11:52:33 PM »

Oh yeah.  I think that videotaping lessons and/or reviewing comp or performance footage can be a very valuable learning tool (That's on my is of new topics for tomorrow.  Wink  I think there's a lot that can be learned from exchanging ideas on how to use those.
And a humbling experience Wink.

What I was trying to get at, here, is how much, if anything, you can learn dance by watching videos of other people dancing -- whether that be clips or instructional videos.

For example, the couple that I mentioned above who insisted on learning only from video were so, so proud to tell you that they'd never "had to" tae a single.  Too bad that they were so horrible to dance with that everyone avoided them at socials.  They felt ... stiff doesn't even begin to capture it.

This I guess also depends on the type of videos. The instructional videos I normally watch are 1) Lectures, whether it is blackpool lectures, or from other dance camps. 2) Those that focused on techniques. My problem with these videos is that while the main points/theories are fairly understandable, it doesn't immediately translate to you applying those points theories. I guess my brain is warp speed ahead of my body Grin.

I also watched comp videos - from the level I am at and upward. I like to watch comps at my level, and slightly higher, because I could learn from their weakness - basically learning what I should not do. And sometimes some inspirations for new steps, new ways to interpret a step. As for the high level dancing...this is a nest of thorns for me. I always felt really depressed when watching these videos. I would think, how am I every going to dance like that? I am so hopeless...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:22:36 AM »

Hmm.  All good points, MZ. Smiley

One of the biggest issues I have with instructional videos, as well, is that, even though you are imitating what you see on the video, there's no way to tell if you're imitating accurately and/or with good technique.

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 10:57:20 AM »

That is very true. Therefore I seldom use videos - unless I am just trying to listen to the jokes  Grin.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 07:38:45 AM »

we watch videos, of all sorts of things. Superstars of Dance and other competition clips but not so much instruction unless I am looking for something specific, ie fall away whisk in Tango. I love to watch the top dancers so I can emulate them...Cant say I am interested in watching bad dancing, been there done that only want to watch the best.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 06:13:46 AM »

This I guess also depends on the type of videos. The instructional videos I normally watch are 1) Lectures, whether it is blackpool lectures, or from other dance camps. 2) Those that focused on techniques. My problem with these videos is that while the main points/theories are fairly understandable, it doesn't immediately translate to you applying those points theories. I guess my brain is warp speed ahead of my body Grin.

I also watched comp videos - from the level I am at and upward. I like to watch comps at my level, and slightly higher, because I could learn from their weakness - basically learning what I should not do. And sometimes some inspirations for new steps, new ways to interpret a step.
Nice post - it summarizes well the uses and lack of uses.  one thing seeing it and quite another doing it.  But you are right seeing others errors can really help - if its only to reinforce what you've been told.  Thus, one may be told to hold the left arm up more - but it feels strange so you don't do it - until you see someone dancing with a weak arm.  Inspirational.

And sometimes some inspirations for new steps, new ways to interpret a step. As for the high level dancing...this is a nest of thorns for me. I always felt really depressed when watching these videos. I would think, how am I every going to dance like that? I am so hopeless...
With the energy and intent you are obviously putting into this you are obviously going to achieve great things.  Perhaps a reminder that rome wasn't built in a day - if you persist with the little things and also let your natural dance ability out (we all have it) I'm sure you are going to be a fine competetive dancer.

I don't suppose you've uploaded a video of yourself dancing have you?  You could and only share the link here and we might give a little encouragement Smiley

millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 09:40:09 AM »

Oh dear, ee. @'_'@.

I don't think that I have any recent video...and I will be too embarrassed to show them anyway @'_'@.

On a side note, I am relatively inactive on dancing. I am keeping it to a minimum, since I live with my parents right now, and since I am not making money now, so it will be a bit awkward to persuade my parents that dancing more is better Grin.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 10:18:55 AM »

Awkward is a good word for it. Smiley  And yeah. Not everybody is comfortable posting video of themselves on the worldwide web.   It's hard enough watching video of myself, sometime.  Putting it out there for the whole world to see?  Not gonna happen.  Undecided

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 08:17:17 PM »

I'm weird.  Love to share my videos - they are not great but its honest, thats what I am. OTOH I am actually rather shy - even introverted... which means a lot of beating myself up Undecided

go figure...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 08:34:09 PM »

Yes.  Everybody is different.  re: introvert  I don't know if I am one or not. Neither does anybody else.  I've been tested multiple times, ad I am almost exactly 50/50 introvert and extrovert. *shrug*

I really value watching myself on video.  Don't' enjoy it though.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 02:12:47 AM »

I would not mind  but I dont hve that much, and what I do have now is old! other than wht others have put up on youtube,. One can only hope that each video shows improvement Cheesy and less for embarrassment.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »

It's a great learning tool, for sure.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: