partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 11:49:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116183 Posts in 1853 Topics by 220 Members
Latest Member: elam63
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Swing (Moderators: captain jep, QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Establishing Cred for a Swing Dance Teacher -- Are Years of Dance Enough?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Establishing Cred for a Swing Dance Teacher -- Are Years of Dance Enough?  (Read 171 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: June 15, 2013, 09:36:47 AM »

One thing struck me when I was signing up for a swing dance workshop this morning.  (Actually two.  Swing dance is sooo inexpensive, comparatively speaking!!)

But the new thing that struck me was the teachers' resumes.  They all started out with [teacher] has been dancing for [blah] years,  all his life,since she was twelve,etc. All of the resumes tell you how long the teacher has been dancing.

Hmm.I know some people who've been dancing forty years and whom I would not pay to teach me  a sugar push.  No offense to my long-lived dance friends, but I have to wonder out loud.  How can you tell if a swing dance teacher is a good teacher?  The discipline is informal,  word of mouth, and mostly un-codified.

And why this focus, in swing,on years of dance?  Does that really make a difference?

So,in your world,how does a swing dancer get the cred to become a swing dance teacher?

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: