partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 11:59:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116434 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  How do you move (swing dances)?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print
Author Topic: How do you move (swing dances)?  (Read 8652 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2009, 04:42:40 AM »

well, maybe a few will learn at least of it here - at least as much as one can from the limited medium Undecided but maybe enough to think further and seek formal training...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2009, 04:23:05 PM »

well, maybe a few will learn at least of it here - at least as much as one can from the limited medium Undecided but maybe enough to think further and seek formal training...

We have some pretty awesome folks here that have helped me heaps!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:30:59 PM by Some guy » Logged
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2009, 04:29:29 PM »

Had a few lessons with DSV's sister again.  Boy, I thought I knew how to move.  Not only did I not know how to move, she had to teach me how to move like a man.  Yes, I don't know if there's anything sadder than having someone's SISTER teach me how to move like a man.   Embarrassed

The only slight consolation was that she also had to teach my partner how to be more feminine... okay, so I'm grasping for straws.  I was just taught by a lady how to move like a man: I'm desperate for straws!

Now I can finally say that I see why they are called "swing" dances.  The swinging done in a partnership is SUCH an illusion (as is pretty much everything else).  Now when I watch some of the top couples I can see what, when, and where the swing occurs.  We preferred to call it "slushing".  We came up with some pretty strange terms that probably would have gotten us kicked out of the studio if anyone else heard

My body is not sore.  However, I'm pretty sure most of my mind has shut down for repairs.  I had no idea how much of a mental exercise dancing was.

Learned some principles of the weightless lead just when I thought dancing couldn't get any more fascinating.  I had been dabbling with it mildly in Latin, but I had no idea how powerful a concept it was in Standard.  

The studio owners have now mandated that all ballroom dancers who take lessons with DSV's sister should wear helmuts to contain the splatter damage when their minds are blown by all these concepts.  It takes far to long to scrape off brain fragments from the drapes.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:34:25 PM by Some guy » Logged
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2009, 12:19:19 AM »

Had a few lessons with DSV's sister again.  Boy, I thought I knew how to move.  Not only did I not know how to move, she had to teach me how to move like a man.  Yes, I don't know if there's anything sadder than having someone's SISTER teach me how to move like a man.   Embarrassed

The only slight consolation was that she also had to teach my partner how to be more feminine... okay, so I'm grasping for straws.  I was just taught by a lady how to move like a man: I'm desperate for straws!

I am sorry SG. Smiley My sister can be brutal at times. Tongue She is very direct and to the point. She doesn’t mince words or mess around. I totally understand you grasping for straws. Her partner/my teacher complained to her that I was dancing like a man and demanded that she taught me to be a lady or at least a female. I thought (my entire life) that I was a female and a lady, but no not according to them. She then proceeded to tell me things that I know she would never tell our mother. Shocked  Embarrassed I actually think our mother would have a stroke if she knew what she told me.  Undecided

Now I can finally say that I see why they are called "swing" dances.  The swinging done in a partnership is SUCH an illusion (as is pretty much everything else).  Now when I watch some of the top couples I can see what, when, and where the swing occurs.  We preferred to call it "slushing".  We came up with some pretty strange terms that probably would have gotten us kicked out of the studio if anyone else heard

My body is not sore.  However, I'm pretty sure most of my mind has shut down for repairs.  I had no idea how much of a mental exercise dancing was.

Learned some principles of the weightless lead just when I thought dancing couldn't get any more fascinating.  I had been dabbling with it mildly in Latin, but I had no idea how powerful a concept it was in Standard. 

Sounds like she taught you a few facts of life and some mind stuff! Smiley We all get the mind stuff sooner or later.  Wink

The studio owners have now mandated that all ballroom dancers who take lessons with DSV's sister should wear helmuts to contain the splatter damage when their minds are blown by all these concepts.  It takes far to long to scrape off brain fragments from the drapes.

That’s my sister alright. It feels like she places a few granites in you brain and sometimes in the body. She then lights them, let them explode and walks off with innocent smirk on her face. Smiley She does know what she is talking about so it is worth lisiting to her. Make sure she feels you are trying to do what she asks of you. She has no problem dropping a couple she doesn't like or feels she has to convince. I am not sure how to say this and be nice at the same time, but she can be brutal and cold. I do however love her dearly.  Cheesy

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2009, 06:49:23 AM »

All I can say is that I am SOOO jealous... I would have no problem with being taught how to move more as a woman and I desperately want to know why swing is not swing but is slushing and, and, ....

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2009, 07:55:26 AM »

ED: does your pro have weightless leading? Also, I want to ask everyone's opinion about what is meant by the following two way argument: the man says she never follows what I am doing and the lady responds that she has no idea where he is going. How much does this have to do with weightless leading.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2009, 09:32:02 AM »

There is no weight at all in his lead.  I am actually not conscious of any lead at all - I just go there.  My job is to provide a stable, connected and extended frame  (so that he knows where my body (really my torso I suppose) is - not just my arms) and a very loose, mobile but also grounded (read feet) base.  He leads my body, my legs kinda follow into place - but they do so quickly.  Its as if our bodies are one and my legs are just a means to make sure they stay that way Cheesy.

I think thats the best personal description I can give at this point.  The amazing thing is that at least to some extent, when I do the same with DP - he leads me like my pro!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:34:15 AM by elisedance » Logged

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2009, 10:33:26 AM »

ED: does your pro have weightless leading? Also, I want to ask everyone's opinion about what is meant by the following two way argument: the man says she never follows what I am doing and the lady responds that she has no idea where he is going. How much does this have to do with weightless leading.

In weightless leading there is no doubt in the man's mind or action what he initiate and the lady has no choice but to respond to what the man wanted.

It is a heavenly experience for both the man and the lady. Grin

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
samina
Silver

« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2009, 10:33:56 AM »

sounds wonderful, indeed, some guy. you have very fortunate to have this instruction available to you. i'm sure you're relishing every drop of it... Smiley
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2009, 03:02:06 PM »

Uh, guys, I'm feeling the need to remind you that this is the AT forum...maybe these posts should be moved back to the original "How do you move (swing dances)?" thread?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2009, 03:14:55 PM »

[thanks MC - due to a split, we had two topics with the same name! - all healed now]

samina
Silver

« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2009, 03:18:41 PM »

oh... i didn't see that. that's rather confusing -- there are two threads by the same name, in different forums? or has this standard swing discussion gone on so long here that i only thought it was a standard topic?

oh, well... i see ee did something to fix it. will have to figure out what... Wink
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2009, 03:26:04 PM »

[There is now only one: How do you move (swing dances)? topic Smiley]

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2009, 02:23:14 AM »

Learned some principles of the weightless lead just when I thought dancing couldn't get any more fascinating.  I had been dabbling with it mildly in Latin, but I had no idea how powerful a concept it was in Standard.

Funny how differently we all learn. I was given this concept early in standard, and was very surprised when I figured out how to place it latin. It is different, isn't it?

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2009, 12:33:09 PM »

[I hope you don't mind - but I started a new topic with SG's post (who raised this) called 'The weightless lead'.  Please continue the theme there.... ee]

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: