partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2015, 06:33:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
117017 Posts in 1875 Topics by 227 Members
Latest Member: scotlanddancer8
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  College Teams (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Peer coaching -- good or bad?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Peer coaching -- good or bad?  (Read 2205 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 05:52:11 AM »

Is it possible for you to travel out of the country and take some lessons with a real master teacher, and not just the self-proclaimed ones?  By that, I mean those that were in the world finals and created others, almost from from scratch, that are now in the world finals? 

well if we can we certainly will head that way, currently we go often to Europe as "v: (Husband) has family there and we try to get back to see them, so they remember who Opa is  Cool.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 12:08:39 PM »

I think it starts by debunking the pre-existing paradigm that real change takes months and years to happen.  Real change in ballroom dancing can be achieved in minutes, not hours or years. 

I hear the father of the Body School used to say it takes 10 years to get good, 9 years where you make it difficult for yourself, 3 months where you realize it sure can't be that difficult and then you learn to dance. He would then continue to say "how long do you want it to take?" if the student said more than 9 months then he would ask "how many lessons per week" then they would give him a number. He would then say "why don't you send me a check ever week with the total of the lesson price and when you have reached the point that you are ready to learn to dance, call me and we can start the lessons in person."

I think one of the reasons people think it's hard to find a good coach is because they believe real change and improvement cannot happen in 30-minutes.  They all believe it takes years.  So they listen to one coach who conveniently tells them to practice some technique for a few years and eventually they'll get it.  Then they go to another coach that gives them the same time line. 

He would also say that when you learn principles your world will change in a moment. He also said to not buy into the 30 year plan as that plan is for the teachers that don't know enough to teach the principles and have people see the deeper meaning of them each time.

If your dancing doesn't drastically change and improve at each lesson, you've got the wrong coach for you.

Totally agree SG

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Some guy
Silver

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 03:49:26 PM »

Smiley
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 08:57:40 AM »

Smiley

Well you can smile when you have good advice on your doorstep Cool

Dance Forum
Some guy
Silver

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 03:11:11 PM »

Come here to our doorstep!  I can pretty much guarantee it will be worth the visit, provided you're open to something completely new. 
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 08:57:50 AM »

Come here to our doorstep!  I can pretty much guarantee it will be worth the visit, provided you're open to something completely new. 

will see what we can do Cheesy

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: