partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2015, 10:18:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116983 Posts in 1874 Topics by 226 Members
Latest Member: Dance20Grit
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Building a dance floor at home
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Building a dance floor at home  (Read 339 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: May 15, 2013, 12:35:07 PM »

I am currently in the process of moving to a new home.  Yay!  This one has a media room - a fairly large space where it would be perfect to practice -- but the floor is carpet over some sort of raw building material.  Not exactly ideal for spins, etc.

Obviously, if I want to convert the room into a dance practice room, the carpet needs to go, but then what?  Has anybody here built a dance floor at home?  Where does one start on a limited budget?

Dona nobis pacem.
sandralw
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 12:53:34 AM »

Phoenix,

I don't know if you ever put your floor in or not, but it was one of the very first things my husband did when we moved into our new home. 

We searched around and found the perfect underlay with vapor barrier that would go over the plywood floor already installed and luckily it was raised us a little from the underflooring, making it soft from the start.

The underlay is made of recycled tires and about 1/2 again as thick as the ones you can buy from a typical home improvement store.  We went to a few local small places to find it.

We did buy the floor from a home improvement store (Home Depot).  It is tongue and groove, but not click lock system, so periodically it has to be glued together.  It is solid bamboo, not laminate, so it can be sanded many years later, if ever necessary.  It is beautifully soft under foot and more durable than laminate is.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: