partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 01:07:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  taking lessons while at comps
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: taking lessons while at comps  (Read 286 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: May 14, 2013, 10:40:57 AM »

It would also be interesting to see how many people take advantage of comp-related travel to get coaching.

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 11:17:33 AM »

Here
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 11:28:14 AM »

I can imagine it would be tough to get on a coach's schedule, though.   I know that, in the swing world, a lot of top level teachers offer private lessons during intensive weekends. That's a little bit different than a competition though. Wouldn't worrying about lessons break ones concentration?

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 12:13:01 PM »

I can imagine it would be tough to get on a coach's schedule, though.   I know that, in the swing world, a lot of top level teachers offer private lessons during intensive weekends. That's a little bit different than a competition though. Wouldn't worrying about lessons break ones concentration?

I am confused  Huh. Why would one worrying about lessons? And concentration on what?

I mean, for the original question, why not? Normally we take lessons from the judges. They supposedly have seen us on the comp, and the memory is supposedly fresh. So we take lessons with them and see what they have to say about our dancing. Beside, we don't typically get a lot of opportunities for top level coaches.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 12:20:57 PM »

Meaning, scheduling and organizing everything for a comp -- costumes, logistics, the performance itself, etc. -- seem like quite a bit to handle.  Adding on a coaching session seems like a bit much.

But your posts implies an answer to one of my concerns; you schedule coaching for after the comp. Am   I reading that right?

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 12:31:28 PM »

Yeap. I mean, it really doesn't make sense to have lessons before comp. I mean, lessons are there to change what we do - but I personally think that it is a really dumb idea to change your dance at the last minute before a comp - at least it would really really make me anxious. "If the techniques don't stick by the time of comp, it probably won't stick after another two hours of practice."

So my routine was focusing more on the showmanship, some mockcomp, getting used to the intensity, and really, to relax a little bit.

Most of the comps I went to were one day comp. So it is probably easier this way. Beside, many of them offered workshops - so we will be there anyway.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 12:47:13 PM »

Is there an ethical issue in taking lessons from coaches at a competition?  It could look like trying to curry favor.  I know that most judges would not be swayed but perhaps a few would Undecided

I wonder if anyone does this on purpose (or would admit to it Wink Wink )

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 12:51:04 PM »

That's a fine question, ee.  I doubt that most coaches would be swayed. But still, it might be better to play it safe and schedule coaching for after the comp, as MZ does.Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 09:08:21 PM »

I don't like to have coaching session too close to a comp unless I have had lessons with them before. for all of the reason that have been listed. But the other thing is if you have a coach that wants to bring in changes it does not always work and confuse you at a comp.

We are off to Perth in a few weeks and will have lessons on the Thursday and we dance on the Saturday, We can practice any changes on the Friday.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 09:24:14 PM »

Wow.  I would be too paranoid (superstitious?) to consider changes that short a time before a comp.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 10:04:20 PM »

ditto.
the problem is that if you learn something very soon before competing it becomes larger than life and can put you out of dancing-ballance...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: