partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 07:58:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  changes in dancesport with time
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: changes in dancesport with time  (Read 661 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: May 11, 2013, 08:42:17 AM »

You can really see the transformation if you see footage of really old ballroom comps and compare then to comps today.  In some cases, it doesn't even look like the same dances are being done.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 10:18:31 PM by elisedance » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 10:17:17 PM »

You can really see the transformation if you see footage of really old ballroom comps and compare then to comps today.  In some cases, it doesn't even look like the same dances are being done.
we need a topic on that...

..there
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 10:18:59 PM by elisedance » Logged

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 10:22:07 PM »

Yup, its certainly not just the costumes that change - world champions from 20yrs ago look rather like advanced syllabus now (until that is you look at how they are dancing which is often way more polished and coordianted than now).

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 10:31:28 PM »

I'l do some youtubing in the morning,so you can see what I mean.  Evolution to the nth degree.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 11:02:57 PM »

yes the upper shaping has change alot, old dancing looks more like social dancing. I am sure there footwork was impeccable, but even the older ones that are teaching today have change the top line to the modern style. I am surprised they don't update they syllabus, the last revision seems ages ago!

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 11:40:51 PM »

I am surprised they don't update they syllabus, the last revision seems ages ago!

I don't think there is a need.  The syllabus permits dancers to learn the mechanism of dance through an orderly sequence with more refinements added as time passes.  That part hasn't changed.  What has happened though is there is an enormous gap between syllabus and current championship method that somehow has to be bridged rather fast. 

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 05:27:46 AM »

I am surprised they don't update they syllabus, the last revision seems ages ago!

I don't think there is a need.  The syllabus permits dancers to learn the mechanism of dance through an orderly sequence with more refinements added as time passes.  That part hasn't changed.  What has happened though is there is an enormous gap between syllabus and current championship method that somehow has to be bridged rather fast. 

Interesting.  Care to expound a bit?

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 07:50:19 AM »

yes the upper shaping has change alot, old dancing looks more like social dancing. I am sure there footwork was impeccable, but even the older ones that are teaching today have change the top line to the modern style. I am surprised they don't update they syllabus, the last revision seems ages ago!

Are you talking about standard?  Cool

Check out some of these Donnie and Gaynor  Latin exhibition dances from the early 90s.  The music is oh,so cheesy.  But, that aside, their dancing is so different from what you would see today. And Gaynor's costuming is positively demure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij-XT8_FxQ4&list=PLebQ62czkpCcawqyisFhrZnulbpeCJCpL

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 08:55:10 AM »

Are you talking about standard?  Cool

Check out some of these Donnie and Gaynor  Latin exhibition dances from the early 90s.  The music is oh,so cheesy.  But, that aside, their dancing is so different from what you would see today. And Gaynor's costuming is positively demure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij-XT8_FxQ4&list=PLebQ62czkpCcawqyisFhrZnulbpeCJCpL

The funny thing is, the earlier latin dancing is much similar to current trend - at least very similar to Joanna/Yulia. A lot of tricks, so to speak (not in a demeaning way).
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 10:22:30 AM »

Do you have any videos you'd like to share?

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 10:57:26 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb1yAhjSTkU

Here is one. The one that stroke me was at 3:18. The samba was relatively basics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5DifhTvlMU

Another one - my last partner showed it to me, and I was in owe when watched it from 3:17.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkiygdajnLw

Basically, each of them are 10 years apart. Then we get to Donnie Burns and Gaynor Fairweather Tongue.

Admittedly, all of them are showcase, so maybe their comp routines are less flashy?

Also, from what I have seen in the videos, it seems that the females spinned softer, where as the males spinned more masculine/sharper.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 07:02:19 AM »

Awesome.  Thanks!  I'l take some time later this morning and watch all of them.  I'll be back with comments. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 12:02:48 PM »

Just want to add one more thing - I think the dancing are in generally "softer" compare to modern interpretations - and I think a major part of it has to do with the music. Samba (or chacha) for instance, are light, fun, joyous - and it showed in the dancing. These dancing are light, joyous, a bit more bouncy. As for modern Samba has stronger accent/beats, more powerful. And samba dancing nowadays are more powerful, more dynamic (which makes the image more powerful).
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 01:14:12 PM »

I agre that the dancing used to be softer.  I also think that the bar is much higher than it used to be.

Take a look, for example, at the first video example. Her legs never fully extend when shes hitting her picture lines. Her body rhythm is very muted, compared to what you'd see today. No sharp lines.  Not a lot of definition.  Her dancing is good, for sure, but it's nothing like what you'd see in a top level Latin competitor today.  Not even close.  Not a value judgment.  Just an observation.

I think that evolution and raising of standards is to be expected.  If you look at other sports -- track and field for example --  men and women today run at speeds that were once thought to be physically impossible.

Why would dancesport athletes not continue to evolve beyond what people did 20, 30, 40 years ago?

Unlike running though, this begs the question of whether all the evolution hurts the art side of things or if there's a happy medium.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 10:48:15 PM »

Unlike running though, this begs the question of whether all the evolution hurts the art side of things or if there's a happy medium.
Perhaps its hard to 'hurt' an art - it is what it is as long as it has some freedom of expression.  as I see it the danger is that ballroom for athletes is going to get to the point that it has nothing in common at all, except the music that is, with ballroom for the masses.  We're already partly there - and that may mean that the social dancers won't relate at all to the competition ones... Maybe the former will then set up their own competitions where they dance 'softly' Huh

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: