partnerdanceonline.com
November 01, 2014, 12:49:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Daily Diary  (Read 3302 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: May 09, 2013, 05:11:15 PM »

Caution: This is not intended to be a one-person blog, but a place for like-minded, friendly people to check in with things, any things, that happened to them during their day.  Mundane.  Ridiculous. Thought-provoking.  Sublime.  If it happened to you today, please feel free to share as little or as much as you want. Respond to others' posts or not, as you wish.There are no rules, other than be supportive and get to  "know" each other.   I'll start in the next post.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 05:36:00 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 05:34:19 PM »

Yesterday/today:  Go to pick dear son (DS) up from school.  He has finished his AP Human Geography EOC (end of course) exam.  This makes me feel good until he tells me that he finished it in one hour out of the four hours that have been allotted.  And, to make it worse, he actually finished in forty-five minutes, then "triple-checked" his answers.  Either this is very, very good or very, very bad.  Actually, my fear is that it's horrid.

DS had a bad day at school.  He had to buy his lunch at the cafeteria (because I am a slacker) but, when he got there, it turned out that his father, my ex-husband, had put money in the wrong lunch account, so, instead of buying lunch a la carte, DS had to buy the pre-selected lunch plate.  Chicken tacos. Oh!  The horror!!  Call school and leave a message with the cafe staff, to avert TRAGEDY at lunch tomorrow.  On tomorrow's menu? Oven fried sweet potato chicken.  The thought of that dish makes even me shudder.  What is oven-fried sweet potato chicken?  i don''t want to think about it.

To Target (department/discount/variety store) to buy bottle of wine.  DS insists on coming in with me. No idea why, but I am mildly annoyed.  This is a two-minute errand. Grr.  Why compiicate things?  So I stomp into Target right behind him, only to see him surreptitiously checking over his shoulder, then skulking off to the Mother's Day card section. This warms every cockle in my crusty old heart, and I have to say that I have quite a few cockles.

Home and to bed.  Today was emotionally brutal.  From bed, I do the usual drill sergeant Mom act and demand DS does homework.  He comes right back with, "No.  I have exams all week and I'm tired. I think it will do me good to take a night off."  I decide not to argue.  What's the point?

Make DS and me chicken stir fry then remember with a start that my  friend, Larry, is cooking str-fry for dinner at his weekly church supper. *Guilt* but I manage to cough down my food anyway.  Grin

Watch stupid TV show then plan to watch another, but an unexpected Zzzzz overtakes me.  

Blessed sleep ... for five whole hours.  Up in the middle of the night.  Again. Yay.  

Put this time to good use.  Post many random and sundry things in PDO. Watch favorite political shows on the internet.  Ponder how a man can be the hero who rescues imprisoned women and a laughingstock all at the same time.

Check my email.   Wordsmith word of the day is cockshy.  Look it up, but hint: This week's theme is words that look like they're offensive, but that are not.   I love wordsmith. Must be very cool to just look up and talk about words all day.

Back to sleep, just in time to have to wake up. *grumble*

Up. DS to school for more tests.  

Me:Lament rainy, rainy, yucky day. I wanted to take a walk.  Oh well.

More PDOing.

Not sure what's next ...

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:20:51 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 09:03:37 AM »

Terrible, horrible, very bad day. 

Ca't give a lot of detail, but let's just say that the phrase A blow upon a bruise about sums it up.  (W.  Somerset Maugham)

Reach angst limit and overdraw. To bed early.   Tomorrow's another day.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:46:17 AM »

sorry you had a bad day. hope that it gets better. remembe you must do something that gives you joy, it is gives hope and well being Cheesy.... It is hard when children are younger and not yet independent.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 08:11:55 AM »

What a great idea P13 Smiley  Though it doesn't seem to have helped your own karma much yet... Perhaps if we tell you about our disasters it will feel better Cheesy

Only I don't have one.  Actually opened my email to discover the review for our latest paper, submitted to the European journal, Frontiers in Cellular neuroscience, has 'minor revisions' - which means all but accepted on the first round!  This is the same paper submitted to JNeurochemistry that was summarily rejected after 6 months with three review cycles - and a lot of frustration and anger.

Better journal too...

Today have to clean up as tomorrow we have a party at the house for the visiting Keynote speaker for our Institute research day - just him and lab members ... but I don't think I'll get much work done.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 09:38:16 AM »

I hope I don't have only disasters to share, but you never know.   Smiley

Nice job with getting your paper accepted. Peer reviews are a great idea, overall, but they can be a real bear, depending on the peers.

Yesterday into today:  Fantastic Mother's Day starts with son bringing me breakfast in  bed (eggs, sausage strawberries, apples,milk, juice, tea.)  Very nice and totally unexpected.  He usually waits for me to make my own breakfast, regardless.  Maybe he's finally growing up.

Morning spent lolling about, doing laundry and reading the paper.  catch up with many, many friends.  What the heck.  Mother's Day is a great excuse to chat with long lost girlfriends.  Also talk to guy friend while he's on the way to put lilies on his mother's grave. This makes me cry in a good way.  She's been gone long enough that his good memories are starting to outweigh his sadness.

Call Mom and fight back enormous waves of jealousy. Three of my sisters and two nieces are visiting her for the week. *sigh*  Talk to niece, who has become agnostic and who, for some reason, thinks  I am the only family member that it's safe to confide in.  Yay.  I love burdens secrets.

Dad turns 90. Help plan 65th wedding anniversary party for Mom and Dad.  This raises the hairs on the back of my neck.  It was not long after my paternal  grandparents' 65th wedding anniversary party that both of their health started to fail. It was downhill from there.  Not ready to contemplate mortality of parents. Intellectually, I know that parties and subsequent ill health are not connected.  But emotionally? Well ...

The only noteworthy thing that happened this morning was when I was ordering a cup of tea at the coffee shop. (Aside: I do not drink coffee. Full stop. )  I ran into a woman who was obviously on her way to work while wearing a most festive silver sequined cap.  I can't decide whether I think she's ridiculous. brave or whimsical.  Regardless, I admire her disco hat. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 03:09:05 PM »

Picking up where  I left off ...

Friend shares a truly profound excerpt from a commencement speech. It talks about life as a series of choices..  Actually, not really.  It talks about how often we allow external circumstances to flow around us as if we have no choices.   Little annoyances mount because we never take the time to examine them and choose to look at them positively.  Really profound stuff that I have now butchered in the re-telling. lol.  Suffice it to say that I was impressed.

Very, very slow day.

Pick son up from school and spend the evening helping him study French and AP Geography.  Discuss a schedule change for him, next year.  He's thinking of dropping Digital Graphics and replacing it with art.  Eh. That works for me.  I expected him to drop Comp Sci, which is much harder work, but he decided to keep it.  Well.  Good for him. Smiley

Grocery shopping, random housework and Entirely Too Much PDOodling (to be known henceforth as ETMP) round out the day. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 10:51:59 AM »

Haven't checked in in a few days because I was hoping somebody else would.  Grin

Not much to tell, which is NOT to say that nothing happened.

Dear Son is almost at the end of his school year. Three weeks to go and his grades are the best they've been all year. Hallelujah and can I get an amen?  All we have to do is pull through his final French project and everything will be all right.  I kept telling the boy that, at his level, the key is repetition (okay rote memorization, if necessary) of nouns and irregular verb conjugation.  But did he listen to me?  No!  Not until this marking period, when he studied his flash cards and brought his grade up by ten points.  When will he learn to listen to his Mom?

Very, very bad week otherwise.   Negative feedback from several people I care about and several people I don't. Philosophical pondering, during which I realize that, by the time you get to be my age, there's something wrong if your life choices haven't made somebody mad.  lol.   Much deep thought leads to Major Life Changing Decisions.  This has the potential to be good.  It's not good yet, but it will be.

Get test results from doctors.  I ain't dead yet.  Grin

Find out that 82-year-old Mom has pneumonia.  Out of the blue. Pneumonia.  *sigh*

Touch bases w/GF I've known since elementary school. She is well.  Her husband, who has MS, is not.

Widow of my long-ex-boyfriend (who became a friend)  finally sees the condolence message I left on her facebook page, and she likes it.  Whew. I thought long and hard about what to write.  Glad I found the right tone.  (Reminds me of an NPR writing contest.  I forget the exact rules,but the winning entry was a woman's multiple attempts at leaving a voice mail message.  I'll try to find that story.Really well written.)

Much PDOoodling in the midst of it all.

More stuff that I forgot. I really should check in more often.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 10:37:51 PM »

highs and lows... dancing with DP is wonderful and each lesson we make a significant step forward (heheh, could not resist).  This week was working on swing, something I must admit I've never really understood. Well now I do - and I also realize that the reason it eluded me before was because it wasn't really swing at all, but a mechanical forward and backward movement.  Swing has to, well SWING!  So dancing is all good.

Violin was all good - I scored lessons with a bona-fide pedagogue and soloist - these lessons (I had three in all) were phenomenal; enough material to keep me in work for 3 weeks each I think (and I practise a lot, at least 2 hrs a day).  So that was good, but I just heard that he is over-committed and can not continue Sad  Well the lessons I had made a big difference.  Better news is that he has contacted a colleague he thinks highly of who lives in Toronto to see if he can take over.  Crossing fingers - but I know its not going to be the same Undecided

Else have to ramp up work again; will be hearing about my grant soon (probably rejected - they are not funding basic science anymore - don't ask unless you want a rant).  So I have to have a new strategy....  I've come up with an interesting one...

millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 09:54:25 AM »

Wait, I thought Canada still funds Elemental science, and that was why Hawkins (In physics) went to Canada.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 10:40:05 AM »

Wait, I thought Canada still funds Elemental science, and that was why Hawkins (In physics) went to Canada.
it does - but its a shrinking pot, in particular in life science.  There is this crazy idea that we have done enough basic science and all we need now is to translate it into medicine.  First thats only true if we understand how everything works (which we obviously don't) and second if we think that we will not need any new basic discoveries to fuel our translational research 10 years from now.  At that point western science - at least as managed in NA - may peter out and be taken over by Asia, which appears to be pouring money into basic research, ironically following our (original) lead.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 11:19:24 AM »

Yup.  Totally different industry, but I have several friends who had to move to Asia to follow their used-to-be US-based jobs in basic research. I have other friends who are chasing a shrinking pool of jobs around the US, and many, if not most, have left the industry altogether.  R&D is not well funded anymore.  It's a cost center in a profit center world *sigh*

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 11:56:11 AM »

It's a cost center in a profit center world *sigh*
A short term only profit centre world.  Any basic scientist that manages to survive this period will be very highly sought after in 5-10 years...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 01:02:49 PM »

I think it's a different world.   I spent fifteen years working in a lab that created technology that revolutionized the world and that ended up largely outsourced to another country.  I'm not optimistic that things will ever go back to the old normal.  Businesses and governments are run differently, now., as much as I hate it.

I ave SEVERAL  friends/colleagues with PhDs in engineering, chemistry, physics, etc, who now work in consulting, accounting, life coaching, etc.    It's just not the same landscape as before.

I'm going to get back into posting here most days.  i was hoping that some of my old DF friends would join me, but it looks like they're not going to.  So maybe if I post regularly, i can attract some new friends. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 01:40:06 PM »

You are among new friends.  And if the old ones are not there for you any more, they were never friends in the first place ...

A real friend is one that never questions you and is there regardless.  Of course one can not have a real friend without also being one.  It follows - mostly from the unlikelihood of meeting such a person - that most people, probably everyone, has very few real friends in a lifetime.  Some have none because they do not have the capacity to give unconditionally - which IMO is the real food of friendship.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: