partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:33:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Dancing in the dark
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dancing in the dark  (Read 229 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: May 09, 2013, 03:17:02 PM »

Thanks to ee for this topic idea.

I've had a couple of teachers who would periodically recommend that I take a lesson or part of a lesson while blindfolded.  Even though I found this extremely uncomfortable at first, I went along with it because what the heck.  I was paying them to give me dancing advice, so why not try it?  Eventually, though, I came to respect and value this as a teaching method because it really helped me to feel the follow, if that makes sense.  If I didn't see what the teacher was doing, I couldn't anticipate or backlead.  I was forced to wait.

Does anyone (follows, I suppose) ever take lessons blindfolded?  If so, do you think it's a good idea or bad idea?  Any personal experiences or anecdotes you'd like to share?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 04:23:52 PM »

No need for a blindfold here - I LOVE to dance with my eyes closed.  Far as I'm concerened that the whole point of following - dancing from the man, not from the room.  Trouble is it looks awful for judges so I have to refrain and keep my eyes open.

However, when I reallyt want to learn something I just get my pro to dance it with me and I keep my eyes closed, that way I can concentrate deeply...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: