partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 07:05:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus
| | | |-+  New Vogue (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | | |-+  New Vogue and Lead/Follow
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: New Vogue and Lead/Follow  (Read 847 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: May 07, 2013, 01:25:55 PM »

Over the past several years, I have heard many ballroom dancers make negative remarks about New Vogue and other sequence dances.  One of the biggest criticisms I've heard has been that sequence dances are somehow inferior because they don't require a dynamic lead/follow relationship.

Hmm. I dance anything and everythihng,so I don't really get why folks need to criticize, but I do wonder.

For folkswho dance New  Vogue, do you think that the "no lead/follow necessary" criticismis true?

For folks who dance both New Vogue and other ballroom dances,how do the two dance compare in your mind?  Do you think one type of dance is superior to the other?  If so, which?  Why or why not?

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 09:10:51 AM »

Interesting that people would perceived that there is no lead or follow....

Granted that there are some dances where the steps are identical but there still can only be one lead for timing.  There is definitely lead and follow in NV, and  NV requires both partners to be completely on balance, you can not rely on your partner for anything. Social NV dancing looks quite different to competitive style, steps are bigger and more dynamic more body shaping which can throw you off balance if you are not careful.

It is great grounding for younger couples and fabulous for older couples to still be able to do two styles on the dance floor.

The benefits out weigh the negatives.  I think that people who make those comments  do not understand the dance style and  there is a difference between sequence dancing and New Vogue Tongue

What you may ask. sequence dancing comes from Old English dancing and has lots of ballet moves in it. New Vogue dancing are modern steps (same in Standard dancing) but done over a patter of 16-32 bars and then repeated.

If there were no lead or follow it would not look fluid or effortless I will see if I can find examples of both.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 09:39:20 AM »

I suspected something like that, as the folks who were dismissing New Vogue don't actually dance it.  Smiley

I would love to see examples of how the dance is done properly.Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 01:26:56 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn3u0Y-y7UQ

here is an example of social dancing a carousel

I will select a competition version of this dance

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 01:31:18 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3258jY8BwY

carousel starts at 1.24, this is done by professionals who are not restricted to certain hand holds which are at lower levels, which I have listed below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE9fRShG_c0

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 03:49:52 AM »

Thanks for the videos. Wow.No comparison at all between social and competitive!      Really a beautiful dance when done competitively.

Thank you! Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 04:43:02 AM »

There are more benefits that negatives for this dance..particularly  socially...  I am surprised it has not taken off in more places

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 06:08:22 AM »

There are more benefits that negatives for this dance..particularly  socially...  I am surprised it has not taken off in more places
Perhaps the difficulty is that everyone has to do it at the same time - it would be hard to start everyone in a social studio.  Perhaps if one had a week dedicated to learning one dance - a festival of sorts - one could get a studio participating...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 09:40:19 AM »

I wonder if it's because of where New  Vogue evolved. Meaning, while NV was evolving in Australia in the context of
Australian culture, other dances were evolving in the context of their culture.  I honestly can't see a bunch of American young people doing NV.  There are some sub-cultures where people do folk dance and square dance, but its really a niche thing.  Most kids (including me and my son) do a five or six week course on square dance during elementary school phys ed, but that's about it.  Dance is rare to find, in schools, and partner dance is even more rare.  If there is dance education, it's usually things like dance aerobics or now a few schools offer Zumba.

I get the impression that, in Australia, NV is widely known and accepted.  I heard someone here say that dance is compulsory.  Or am I getting the wrong impression?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 09:54:51 AM »

{bla bla bla} (including me and my son) {bla bla bla}

You have a son Smiley Smiley I have one too, bet mine's older...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 10:38:42 AM »

He's sixteen and NOT AT ALL a proponent of dance.  We got away with square dance because he was nine and still afraid of his teachers.  Now, he fears no one and dance is not happening. lol

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 11:34:07 AM »

He's sixteen and NOT AT ALL a proponent of dance.  We got away with square dance because he was nine and still afraid of his teachers.  Now, he fears no one and dance is not happening. lol
in that case I have over two sons... Wink Wink

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 01:28:23 AM »

Perhaps the difficulty is that everyone has to do it at the same time - it would be hard to start everyone in a social studio.  Perhaps if one had a week dedicated to learning one dance - a festival of sorts - one could get a studio participating...

yes I often feel we should come over and do a tour and introduce  a area to the benefits. Cheesy

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 01:31:17 AM »

I wonder if it's because of where New  Vogue evolved. Meaning, while NV was evolving in Australia in the context of
Australian culture, other dances were evolving in the context of their culture.  I honestly can't see a bunch of American young people doing NV.  There are some sub-cultures where people do folk dance and square dance, but its really a niche thing.  Most kids (including me and my son) do a five or six week course on square dance during elementary school phys ed, but that's about it.  Dance is rare to find, in schools, and partner dance is even more rare.  If there is dance education, it's usually things like dance aerobics or now a few schools offer Zumba.

I get the impression that, in Australia, NV is widely known and accepted.  I heard someone here say that dance is compulsory.  Or am I getting the wrong impression?

No dance is not compulsory, but most schools do have a group called footsteps come around and do a 10 week course regularly, I am not sure if NV is taught in that. I think socially if people see the benefits of everyone doing the same thing, they do it in line dancing and some of the dances are the same so it would not matter if two women or two men were to do it.

It just has to be given a go NV is not that far removed from smooth it just has a pattern that everyone does at the same time.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 02:32:25 AM »

you're right that we do have line dances here - which really are solo sequence dances.  Perhaps the real problem is that the level of dance training for social dancers is, frankly, rather low and insufficient for them to learn a partner sequence dance. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: