partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 12:10:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Studio showcases -- useful for competitors?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Studio showcases -- useful for competitors?  (Read 381 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: May 06, 2013, 02:19:55 AM »

A lot of studios offer showcases, especially with a pro-am instructor, as a option for students.   Do you think this is a useful supplement to a competitive dance student's instruction? Or is it just another way for studios to make money at students' expense?  Other?

Any thoughts or experiences to share?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 05:36:31 AM »

As with all this I think it can be both.  A good showcase means you can get personal evaluation by experts - a lot of comps offer this option (I've thought of doing it too).  It can also be a real thrill to dance infront of friends and co-dancers and strut your stuff.  This is surely an inbuilt need of humans - I guess it dates back to tribal time infront of the fire.  Of course, as with any other aspect of dance it can be abused by the teacher to extract more lesson time... but the answer there is to only take lessons from a teacher you trust.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 08:54:41 AM »

As much of a ham as I am, I'm not sure I'd go for the showcase option at a comp.  A small heat, I can handle. Not sure if I could handle knowing for months in advance that I'd be half of the only couple on the floor. 

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 05:12:40 PM »

As much of a ham as I am, I'm not sure I'd go for the showcase option at a comp.  A small heat, I can handle. Not sure if I could handle knowing for months in advance that I'd be half of the only couple on the floor. 
in some ways its easier since you don't have to worry about dancing against that past blackpool finalist..  also there is more to get into when you have a performance rather than a routine...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 07:09:02 PM »

in some ways its easier since you don't have to worry about dancing against that past blackpool finalist..  also there is more to get into when you have a performance rather than a routine...

Good point.  There is more room for schmancy fancy stuff if you're preparing a performance.  I like fancy schmancy.  Wink

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 07:11:15 AM »

Good point.  There is more room for schmancy fancy stuff if you're preparing a performance.  I like fancy schmancy.  Wink
...unless you are the one trying to come up with those stuffs ;P. Then it starts to become a headache.

I think my creativity is strongest at "modifying" things, at least in dancing. I am really bad at coming up with something completely new, yet working really well with the music.

Feedback from judges is always good. So that is a plus.

I also know this from a personal experience, and from people that I watched, preparing a showcase helps you improving on the said dance. For instance, at one point of time, my friendly rivalry and I (and our partner, of course) went to a comp. Me and my partner only won the chacha. And during that semester, they were working on a chacha showcase, so at the next competition, they won the chacha...but we got the rest Wink.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: