partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 06:31:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  pro-am dancesport - a new FB page
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: pro-am dancesport - a new FB page  (Read 1773 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 03:08:51 PM »

I joined the page, as well, even though I'm not clear on the mission it's trying to accomplish. *shrug*

In terms of the  issues raised in this thread, I see validity in both points of view.

Pro-am dancers are perceived as deserving of less respect than am/ams, in a lot of cases, regardless of the level of dancing involved.  There's an assumption that am/ams are serious and that pro/ams are taking a free ride on their teachers' coat tails. That is absolutely not true in a lot of cases.  A LOT of pro-am dancers are dance athletes who take their sport seriously.  Many of them ARE better dancers than their pros. BTDT.  

I'm with ttd, though. Sticks and stones, etc.  I really don't care what labels people use. I dance the dances I like the best I can.  End of story, for me. I am conscious of the injustice, but it's not worth it to me to take on a fight that's as big as people's perceptions. That's a huge fight; I choose other battles.

Yet, I see why some others think it's worth their energy to fight. Cool
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 03:24:50 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 05:29:33 PM »

Maybe its more stark when you've done both pro-am and am - and when you go from the latter to the former.  As an am you have some respect from judges etc.  As a pro-am not much if any.  Indeed alot of the pros think of pro-am just as a funding for real dancing..  I don't think that does justice to the serious pro-amers - nor to these dance partnerships (like it or not, thats what they are on the dance floor).  And labeling the am as a student just reinforces this conception of a beginner dancing with an expert.  And yet the same beginner can be individually accomplished if she/he steps out on the floor with an AM.

It does bother me.  But thats not the purpose of the Pro-Am page - thats just a place for pro-amers to congregate and share opinions.  Not that its really happened!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: