partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 08:43:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  pro-am dancesport - a new FB page
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: pro-am dancesport - a new FB page  (Read 1647 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: October 19, 2012, 06:49:34 AM »

Please join Smiley
http://www.facebook.com/ProAmDancesport?skip_nax_wizard=true

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 10:44:37 AM »

What for?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »

What for?
Grin  everything pro-am... stay tuned Wink

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 02:44:59 AM »

I have never done Pro Am but I joined I have a friend that does it I will send her to the page

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 05:56:46 AM »

I have never done Pro Am but I joined I have a friend that does it I will send her to the page
Smiley 
There really is nowhere where pro-ams can share opinions or meet, I'm hoping that this takes off - and maybe a few will also come to PDO...

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »

Not really sure how useful it is going to be. As a pro-am competitor who's been at it for almost 9 years, 2 years with one pro and the rest with another, I feel that a) I know what I need to know about the way the system works and b) I get to meet people in person when I compete.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 08:39:02 PM »

Not really sure how useful it is going to be. As a pro-am competitor who's been at it for almost 9 years, 2 years with one pro and the rest with another, I feel that a) I know what I need to know about the way the system works and b) I get to meet people in person when I compete.
I'm hoping people will post pictures of themselves.  If I can I'll group them by comp in a common folder.  I think there are issues that the po-am community needs to face as (I know you may not agree)I don't think they are taken as seriously as the AM world, and there is no reason other than money, why.

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 12:21:17 AM »

I'm hoping people will post pictures of themselves.  If I can I'll group them by comp in a common folder.  I think there are issues that the pro-am community needs to face as (I know you may not agree)I don't think they are taken as seriously as the AM world, and there is no reason other than money, why.
I don't think it's just the money part. It is also because it's a largely American phenomenon. Just like American style dancing isn't taken seriously outside US for the same reason - it's something only Americans do. And you're right, I'm not going to worry that someone somewhere isn't taking me seriously as a pro-am competitor. Afterall, I don't pay a lot of attention to what's going on in am-am world either.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 02:00:59 AM »

I'm hoping people will post pictures of themselves.  If I can I'll group them by comp in a common folder.  I think there are issues that the pro-am community needs to face as (I know you may not agree)I don't think they are taken as seriously as the AM world, and there is no reason other than money, why.
I don't think it's just the money part. It is also because it's a largely American phenomenon. Just like American style dancing isn't taken seriously outside US for the same reason - it's something only Americans do. And you're right, I'm not going to worry that someone somewhere isn't taking me seriously as a pro-am competitor. Afterall, I don't pay a lot of attention to what's going on in am-am world either.
Pro-am competition is gaining in popularity - its in England, mainland europe and Australia.  They just haven't figured out that its potentially a big money maker yet!

I find it absurd that a championship pro-am dancer is referred to as a 'student'.  Its patronizing and sometimes absurd - there are plenty of AMs that are better dancers tahn their pros. Right now you could win Blackpool as an AM and if your partnership broke up and you wanted to continue competing with a pro you would automatically be their student!  Referring to a pro-am dancer as a student is fine when still in the standard syllabus levels but once in championship level they should be referred to as pro-am 'partners' - because thats what they are, no top pro-am couple can win at the big comps without working just as hard as a couple as the average am or pro couple does... 

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 09:20:14 AM »

A rose by any other name...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 11:43:32 AM »

A rose by any other name...
That phrase is true philosophically - but in our age (or any other) decidedly not socially.  Lets look at some examples: if you are called Sir William (good-for-nothing inherited peership) or Bill (honest plumer) you will have the same access to the London Ritz Carlton?  A fake (but falsely identified) stradivarius does not have the same cash value as a real one (thats a thorn by any other name)?  A blackpool finalist couple will not be more revered than an equally good couple that won the Surbiton State Championship? 

There is an object: getting pro-am to be treated as an equal to the other dances.  How about listing AM couples championships as student-student?  I think there would be a revolution...

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 01:01:19 PM »

I don't think those are valid examples, especially the violin one. A fake's a fake, no matter how good, and as such it shouldn't be worth same as the real thing.

Sorry, but it really doesn't matter for me if someone in the general public thinks that I am a lesser dancer because I don't do am-am. Too bad, it's their failure, not mine. And I certainly don't care to change general public's attitude.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 07:19:11 PM »

I don't think those are valid examples, especially the violin one. A fake's a fake, no matter how good, and as such it shouldn't be worth same as the real thing.

Sorry, but it really doesn't matter for me if someone in the general public thinks that I am a lesser dancer because I don't do am-am. Too bad, it's their failure, not mine. And I certainly don't care to change general public's attitude.
But what of those that do both?  Isn't at least a good idea to aim for parity? 
I don't understand the 'don't care to change general public's attitude'.  By that you mean you like the status quo as it is?  Or you just don't care - I mean would you object to being called a pro-am partner instead of a pro-am student? 

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 07:59:34 PM »

But what of those that do both?  Isn't at least a good idea to aim for parity? 
I don't understand the 'don't care to change general public's attitude'.  By that you mean you like the status quo as it is?  Or you just don't care - I mean would you object to being called a pro-am partner instead of a pro-am student? 
There's a russian saying which loosely translates as "You can call me a cooking pot if you wish, as long as you don't put me in the oven". It pretty much sums up my attitude. I simply don't care what I'm called, when it's something impersonal, just a label categorizing me in relation to other dancers. In context of a dance competition, whether I'm referred to as my pro's student or my pro's am partner, it really doesn't matter to me. I am going to dance my best no matter what. Given that, I have no inclination to expend any energy on trying to get the label changed. Not worth the trouble.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 05:00:14 AM »

Now up to 14 members - not a tidal wave but a reasonable start.  The page looks active Smiley 

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: