partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 10:29:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Are good dancers born or made?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Are good dancers born or made?  (Read 4434 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 10:44:15 PM »

if you find the tread "schools of thought" DSV discusses drills relating to dancing.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 10:47:30 PM »

Thanks.  I  read through some of the drills and tried a few yesterday.  Those drills are golden.  Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2013, 05:05:21 AM »

There's no escaping hard work, more's the pity.
... unless you enjoy the hard work part Wink

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2013, 05:29:11 AM »

Not really.  I enjoy the "reaps the benefits" part.  Grin

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 10:45:36 PM »

perhaps you could explain to your boss... Roll Eyes

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2013, 09:25:58 PM »

Hmm.  Been thinking about this.

I think that good dancers can be born or made.  I think that GREAT dancers are all made.  No matter how much talent you're born with, you don't become great without working your butt off.

Reminds me of  a story about Michael Jordan, the legendary basketball player.  He says that, with every team he's been on, he would show up for practice an hour earlier than everybody else and do layup after layup after layup. This the man who is seven (?) feet tall, more or less, and who is a "natural" at basketball.

Dona nobis pacem.
Spiral
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2013, 10:01:08 PM »

I agree that great dancers are made rather than born. I also think that a lot of success depends on your inner psychology (if that's the right expressions). From personal experience I know some movements tend to be easier/harder depending on how I feel about them on the day. If my head is not into it, it might take 100 hours of practice to get a movement right, as opposed to 10 hours if I'm in the right mental state. This is something that's very hard to control, and might require a complete rewire in how you think.

To thy self dance true --elisedance
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2013, 03:31:04 AM »

I agree that dancers are made and not just born. some people do have in their genes the ability to perform and move easier than others. I hear so many times that I have two left fee and some people do but I think they don't trust themselves.

We have one lady dancer that just does not get it but I think she is trying to jump before she crawls and is not listening really to the message that is being provided. or perhaps she just cant understand the steps, but she persevere and that is a good thing, she will eventually get it. Tongue

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2013, 04:06:30 AM »

I dunno, Q.

Reminds me of a true account I read a billion years ago, so I can't remember where. The author was talking about children and creativity. He said that a group of children was asked in kindergarten who of them could draw.  Every single child raised his or her hand excitedly.  The same group of children was asked five or six years later ( in the final grade of primary school) who of them could draw.   Only a few children raised their hands.  the author used that experience to illustrate his premise that our schools and larger society educate the creativity out of children and place value judgments on what "good" drawing (or whatever) looks like.  Which is an aside to this topic.

To bring it back to topic, I think that a lot of it depends on how you define being able to dance,   Can everybody dance?  I think yes.  But some people's dancing may always be stick figures and some people's dancing may be Rembrandt, comparatively speaking.  Our society has decided that good dancing looks like Rembrandt and that stick figures belong to people who "can't dance."  That's why so many people think they can't dance -- because a negative value judgment has been placed on what they can do.

I think that anyone can improve their dancing by finding a good teacher and by working hard.  That doesn't mean that everyone would be able to become a dance equivalent of Rembrandt, given time and effort.   There really are differing levels of ability. Otherwise, everyone with the desire and the financial means to do so would buy enough lessons, spend the time with great teachers, and win all the comps.  They would if they could; they don't because they can't.  They are limited by their natural abilities, just as we all are.  I'm good at some things, bad at some things, great at some things and truly horrid at some things, even though I can do them all, to some extent.

But I do believe that everyone who ends up a dance Rembrandt has put a lot of work into it.  That's what I mean when I say that great dancers are all made, not born. You may be born with the potential to become a dance Rembrandt, but you won't become one unless you work at it.    A fair dancer?  Sure.  A good dancer, possibly.  But a truly great dancer?  I don't think so.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2013, 05:06:36 AM »

I dunno, Q.

Reminds me of a true account I read a billion years ago, so I can't remember where. The author was talking about children and creativity. He said that a group of children was asked in kindergarten who of them could draw.  Every single child raised his or her hand excitedly.  The same group of children was asked five or six years later ( in the final grade of primary school) who of them could draw.   Only a few children raised their hands.  the author used that experience to illustrate his premise that our schools and larger society educate the creativity out of children and place value judgments on what "good" drawing (or whatever) looks like.  Which is an aside to this topic.

And that was the author's presumption.  Maybe the kids were old enough to compare their output and realized that other kids drew much better than they did?  Thus, the first 'I can draw' was basically I can make a mark on a piece of paper.  The second was 'can I make marks that actually look like what I am drawing'.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2013, 06:01:45 AM »

And, IMHO, you're kinda reinforcing the author's point. It's often value judgments such as "That's not really drawing; that's just marks on a piece of paper," that discourage little ones from continuing to draw as best they're able and perhaps learning to draw more than just stick figures.

IMV, similarly, value judgments such as "That's not really dancing; it's just [blah,]" can discourage people who otherwise might take a stab at learning more about dance.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 06:03:27 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2013, 05:32:48 AM »

which seems to be getting to the 'everything you do is perfect' attitude that has guided a significant fraction of parents - resulting I think in a lot of privilidged and spoiled children that now assume that if their output is not recognized as brilliant then the fault is in the judge not the artist.

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »

I think that good dancers can be born or made.  I think that GREAT dancers are all made.  No matter how much talent you're born with, you don't become great without working your butt off.

I agree very much with this. Working the mind is part of the hard work that goes into becoming a GREAT dancer.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2013, 07:43:17 PM »

I agree very much with this. Working the mind is part of the hard work that goes into becoming a GREAT dancer.

DSV

Yes this is so true. You also need to have the hunger and desire. without that those that have talent have just that talent.

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: