partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 10:22:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  combative competitors
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: combative competitors  (Read 273 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: August 26, 2013, 07:46:13 PM »

not sure if I should post this here but we danced at a comp on the weekend in which we made a final Cheesy but another couple from our own state, just traveled his path on the floor and kept knocking into us and I dont think it was an accident.

I cant see the point of it and it did not rattle us (completely) I have noticed this a few times now so I don't know what his problem is, perhaps he jut cant change direction or he is trying to rattle you. But what ever his intentions are it is annoying as we trying to dance without running into people.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 08:07:12 PM »

[I hope you don't mind me making a new topic Q - but, as you suspected, this really is a different issue: competitors that try to get an edge by sabotaging the competition.]

I've seen this in pro comps too - in the pro-standard at blackpool a couple of years ago, there was a short Italian couple that were very combative, they would get as close as they could to the other couples I guess to 'psyche out' them.  On the whole it had little effect because these were very seasoned dancers.  Indeed, if they had tried it with Mirko I would have loved to see the outcome  Wink

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 10:30:43 PM »

Interesting in the marking during the rounds we placed higher than they did (I am sure they would not be happy with that) but he did not do it in the rounds. But we ar aware of him and it is not the first time, will discuss it with our coach and see what strategy is best.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 02:07:43 AM »

They run the danger of the judges noticing and then being permanently marked down.  It happened to my ex partner before he danced with me - made the mistake of getting angry with another (equally combative) dance but while still on the comp floor.  One judge read the incident as his fault and never marked him again (I know this to be true as the judge in question even told me).

So that's key DON'T REACT!  The best strategy is to dance round them and smile politely - I think that will give you great cred with the judges.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 06:44:31 AM »

Indeed, and will try to start the opposite side to them as well. But will will not let it worry us as best we can. Forewarned is forearmed

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 07:46:40 AM »

We had a couple that was similar - they were short and delighted in simply running into us.  Whenever it happened the judges presumed the big couple were running over the small ones - never did figure out how to deal with it.  I think if I was the lead I would eventually make sure that a collision could have negative physical consequences.  I think that would have cured them...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: