partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2014, 11:05:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116513 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Waltz
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print
Author Topic: Waltz  (Read 10977 times)
samina
Silver

« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2011, 10:44:18 AM »

i recall that one of his foxtrot drills, given to me by my former instructor, involved stopping to balance one's weight in between the legs, in mid-stride. it's my understanding that would be supportive for a woman in the body school, am i correct?

whatever he is talking about that is for the man, i don't think that's what is attracting me. for example, he is reminding me of what i learned from giampiero as part of waltz drills... to make sure to connect the heels with the ground on the 3-and before moving, in order to consolidate & prepare for the movement. also to rise and hold on the 3...and then come down on the 3-and.

i also like the hold on the three, the taking down and back up of the arms, and then proceeding... excellent drill for both feet and balance.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #151 on: June 28, 2011, 02:53:24 PM »

I was amused by the drill of stopping and taking down the arms.  I don't know how much of a "drill" that is 'though, because if you're dancing right, you can do it.  To me it's just a test.  Not so much a drill.  However, if you can just do that, it doesn't necessarily mean you're dancing right.  My two cents.  I've seen folks muscle through it and wobble and hold the 3, so it can be done, but I doubt if it's easy and comfortable to do it that way.

After watching the video I tried it out with a partner (a fellow Body Schooler) who also watched the video and we both went, "um... what's the big deal?  Is this supposed to be difficult?".  Then I tried it with another Body Schooler (who started off in the Body School) who didn't see the video and she couldn't understand the point of it at all.  I tried to explain to her that balance is a big issue for those that didn't start in the Body School and she didn't seem to believe me.  So I think if your center is freed up enough, the body will balance.  It's very rarely that after 30+ of yrs of balancing experience while walking, riding bikes, and climbing up and down stairs that my body will have difficulty balancing if I let it.  However, it was almost impossible to balance if we blocked our centers in in any way.  So I think it's a good test, but I wonder if a drill is really required. 
samina
Silver

« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2011, 09:35:36 AM »

I was amused by the drill of stopping and taking down the arms.  I don't know how much of a "drill" that is 'though, because if you're dancing right, you can do it.  To me it's just a test.  Not so much a drill.  However, if you can just do that, it doesn't necessarily mean you're dancing right.  My two cents.  I've seen folks muscle through it and wobble and hold the 3, so it can be done, but I doubt if it's easy and comfortable to do it that way.

i think it's an excellent drill if the mindset is to take it far beyond "wobble & hold". Smiley

to be maximally embodied, maximally sensing, maximally balanced, maximally relaxed, maximally extended on one's toes and through one's spine, maximally able to move while still not having balance compromised, and then to take that to the next level and dance & shape at the top of that exercise...classic drilling of fundamentals that will create beautiful dancing. that's how i view my drills, anyway -- building up components & capabilities that one can call into use without thinking when the time comes.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2011, 12:41:09 PM »

Beautifully explained as usual.  Smiley  I believe in drills but I believe in a drill where there is a clear separation between the drill and the action I'm trying to perfect.  The drill should enable me to do the action but I don't believe that the drill should be the action I'm trying to perfect.  To me, drilling the action itself  runs the danger of drilling the wrong thing in the early stages when one cannot yet properly do it, thereby directly affecting the learning curve of that action.  In other words, there's the danger that you can get really good at doing the wrong thing.  I think drills should supplement, not supplant.  My two cents... and not nearly as beautifully written as Samina's responses.  Embarrassed 

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:43:13 PM by Some guy » Logged
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2011, 03:20:29 PM »

As I said previously, to me, this balance exercise seems like a good thing for dance partners to practice. Obviously, Andrew thinks so too, and I have a training tape from 20 years ago where he and Lorraine are demonstrating the same exact balance exercise. I'd guess it was given to them by their teacher(s). My feeing is that if this exercise helps dance partners improve, great, but if not, I'd recommend doing what works best for you.

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
samina
Silver

« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2011, 02:36:55 PM »

I believe in drills but I believe in a drill where there is a clear separation between the drill and the action I'm trying to perfect.  The drill should enable me to do the action but I don't believe that the drill should be the action I'm trying to perfect.  To me, drilling the action itself  runs the danger of drilling the wrong thing in the early stages when one cannot yet properly do it, thereby directly affecting the learning curve of that action.  In other words, there's the danger that you can get really good at doing the wrong thing.  I think drills should supplement, not supplant.  

interesting, SG -- hadn't thought of it that way before. i have done "practicing", but normally my sense of drills is to work on various movements and components and principles that are used to construct the "language" of movement.

but thanks for the food for thought, my dear! i always love your feedback and ideas. Smiley
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #156 on: July 01, 2011, 10:13:33 AM »

because we have only be training for a couple of years sometimes I feel I am in a hurry and try to learn as much as we can and sometimes it don't think it absorbs properly.  t
I feel that once we can trust each other with our connection as well as lead and follow (which has improved alot!) I think we will have made a significant gain in our dancing. we do this through our waltz training and use what we learn in connection through in our other dances.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
samina
Silver

« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2012, 12:20:18 PM »

have so enjoyed this...another caterina azerton lecture/demo video, from the same series as i recently posted in the slow foxtrot thread:

http://youtu.be/jun-WtpyixM

i continue to learn better understanding from her regarding slight movement/rotation of the torso of the woman during the basic movement of fox & waltz.

also, i am enjoying the recognition of her as being "family" somehow in the school of thought i've had my own training in. i find it interesting that one recognize this without knowing anything about someone's actual pedagogical background.

some of the information she shares here about timing and movement/driving is information i explicity received from GG, which i find particularly interesting since they have since teamed up. am so looking forward to seeing them both waltz & foxtrot now at dance legends. Smiley
samina
Silver

« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2012, 05:03:25 PM »

Did anybody watch the waltz vid above? It's so, so good... I wish all the greats would do youtube lecture/demo/lesson like this. It's like being right there, filled with so much valuable & practical information. Usually the masters stand there and talk, then dance with each other to applause, then talk some more, than more applause. But this format is wonderful.

Thoughts?
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2012, 06:07:45 PM »

I agree, I like the format.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2012, 10:21:32 AM »

I enjoyed it have not seen it all the way throug, but she is very talented and makes great sense....just wish the two of us can do the things together. Shocked we have improvied alot but I want more! Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: