partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 01:58:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  shoe-less lesson
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: shoe-less lesson  (Read 2227 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: July 26, 2012, 08:04:10 PM »

I haven't danced for 3 weeks and today was my first lesson - about 20 miles from my home.  I got there to discover that my shoes were not in the car AND I had forgotten my checkbook for the next batch of lessons.

DP (dance pro now everyone) was just lovely on both counts.  I truly am a very fortunate woman.  He laughed and we talked a bit - I felt so good I suggested doing the lesson in my bare (well stockinged) feet, thinking that at least we could work on shape etc.

WHAT A SURPRISE!

Two things, the first relatively minor was that we found that the height match was now perfect!  DP is a bit taller than me but not the ideal difference - without shoes it was amazing.  Thus, I am going to research how low a heel I can find - if its 0.5 inches, I'm there.

But more interesting was that it was such an insight!  Without shoes you feel exactly what your feet are doing - there is no faking it.  Further, with stockings you have no grip so if your ballance is off - off you go!  We worked on energy - into the floor and out of your frame - with shoes I would never have understood how critical this is to establish ballance.  Eventually - in just the space of a lesson - I was dancing as if I had shoes and heels but now each floor contact was purposive.

it was such an insight I am going to put a pair of suede-soled slippers in my dance bag to use whenever ballance issues come up.

Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »

I love dancing in socks.... Grin

It improves so many things when dancing in socks. You get more aware of balance as the sliding is easier in socks. You also learn to roll the feet more precise. I learned a lot about my body and how it responded in different situations. My sister danced in slippers or socks for 8 month because of a foot injury and she couldn’t wear any on her feet other than slipper or socks.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 10:22:59 PM »

so I wasn

It improves so many things when dancing in socks. You get more aware of balance as the sliding is easier in socks. You also learn to roll the feet more precise. I learned a lot about my body and how it responded in different situations. My sister danced in slippers or socks for 8 month because of a foot injury and she couldn’t wear any on her feet other than slipper or socks.

DSV

So I wasn't imagining it Wink Smiley

Would I get marked down for using very short heels (say 0.5")?  its not to simulate socks but to match height with my partner...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 02:11:13 AM »

DSV

Except for in my lessons all my practicing for years was in socks.  It gives me more of a natural feel and connection to the floor.  You can feel how every muscle in your foot is used and there is such a sense of freedom.  When I got the Achilles tendon injury in my right foot two years ago I had to give it up as it would really stress the injury and I was told it could also lead to bone spurs.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 05:16:41 AM »

I have not danced in socks but we dance at a venue where the floor is very slippery and it feels like you would be in socks. definitely having to have good balance. sometimes I have an issue with the inside edge of my shoe, (under the joint of the big toe) it gets very shiny on my shoes and unless I am balanced my foot can slide out underneath me.  Undecided
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:35:41 PM by QPO » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 05:18:24 AM »

DSV

Except for in my lessons all my practicing for years was in socks.  It gives me more of a natural feel and connection to the floor.  You can feel how every muscle in your foot is used and there is such a sense of freedom.  When I got the Achilles tendon injury in my right foot two years ago I had to give it up as it would really stress the injury and I was told it could also lead to bone spurs.   

Kinda makes you wonder how humans actually used their feet before shoes were invented... Or maybe we had feet like:

Shocked

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 10:20:06 AM »

and the amazing thing is that if he wore shoes now his feet wold eventually get soft. my Dad was a mechanic and he had hands like that that were always black from the grease, but since he has retired he hands are back to normal soft and clean. Skin is so resilient

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 11:26:07 AM »

I have had parts of my lessons without shoes (on purpose, not because I forgot them), and there are some exercises I do without them. Balance definitely feels different and sometimes I find it is more challenging to balance with high heels on. However, since I have an opposite issue in that I am considerably shorter than my pro, 2.5" heel is the minimum I have to have with him. When I first started dancing with him, I was using 2" heels and he made me move up half an inch.
drj
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 09:12:01 PM »

so I wasn

DSV

You definitely were not imagining it. I love warming up without shoes just before competing. Talk about waking up the whole body, feet first! I recently bought a pair of the lightest jazz shoes I could find, so I could have lessons in them; these are basically toe covers, a piece of elastic, and a heel cover with about 12" heel. The first time I wore them to a lesson, my instructor said, "You little sh*t, you have been holding out on me -- you CAN do this!" or wtte.

ancora imparo
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 04:49:23 AM »

so I wasn

DSV

You definitely were not imagining it. I love warming up without shoes just before competing. Talk about waking up the whole body, feet first! I recently bought a pair of the lightest jazz shoes I could find, so I could have lessons in them; these are basically toe covers, a piece of elastic, and a heel cover with about 12" heel. The first time I wore them to a lesson, my instructor said, "You little sh*t, you have been holding out on me -- you CAN do this!" or wtte.

Jazz shoes?  12" heel?  I don't think that means what I am imagining! Shocked Smiley

drj
Bronze

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 08:29:10 AM »

Typos R Us.

1/2" heel.

ancora imparo
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 02:40:15 PM »

Typos R Us.

1/2" heel.

Ah.  My plantar fasciitis is breathing a sigh of relief...

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 10:44:38 PM »

Would I get marked down for using very short heels (say 0.5")?  its not to simulate socks but to match height with my partner...

I have seen three ladies wear 2" heels when the lady were taller than the man. They were all World Champions.  Wink

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 10:51:12 PM »

I have seen three ladies wear 2" heels when the lady were taller than the man. They were all World Champions.  Wink

DSV

I prefer the 1.5s but my partner was so pleased to dance with me an inch shorter I'm wondering if the .5s would be acceptable or would it look odd?

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 02:58:08 AM »

I used to dance in 3" heels for both Latin and Standard then I thought how tall do I need to be? (it made me 5'11")  It was just for looks but not practical.  I now have 2 1/2" heels and that is good enough.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: