partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 09:14:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  dance-vs-other interests
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: dance-vs-other interests  (Read 858 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: May 30, 2012, 09:33:17 PM »

Do you have another (non-work) interest that competes with dance?  And if so how do you manage?

the question is prompted by my twin interests of dance and playing the violin.  But they are not independent entirely: dancing keeps me fit for playing (though I'm not sure if there is anything in the opposite direction, music notwithstanding).

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 11:02:58 PM »

I would say animal rescue.  I would like to go back and start my artwork up again too though.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 09:30:16 PM »

Does single parenting count? 

(Just kidding.  I don't want to be dismissive of this really good topic idea.  Cool )

Yes.  I have other interests.  Other than work, dance, and single parenting. 

What helps me is a classic time management book (Written in 1971; in print ever since)  How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life by Alan Lakein.  He talks about figuring out what's important to you and finding a way to work toward ones goals, even if it's as little as fifteen minutes at a time.

Most things, even big things, are actually accomplished in small, bite-sized chunks.  Dance practice: twenty minutes at a time.  Learning to speak another language: fifteen minutes of conjugating verbs. Starting a business: on hour in the evenings.  Writing a blog: Half an hour during lunch every day.  Helping  PDO: during my middle of the night wake-up sessions.

One chunk at a time. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 02:10:21 AM »

I have no time for anything else at the moment, when i dont compete anymore I will look at other interest but I dont think if you ar consumed with one how you have time for another?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 03:27:29 AM »

You're right.   You do have to narrow things down because youi can't do everything at once. But the fact that I spend so much time on dance doesn't stop me from (just as an example) listening to Shakespeare plays in my car on the way to work, since reading all of those plays is a goal of mine.

It really just takes knowing what your goals are, then doing a bit of planning to break them down into bite sized chunks.

At least, this works for me; that doesn't mean it will work for anybody else. Cool
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:39:50 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 05:12:15 AM »

I have no time for anything else at the moment, when i dont compete anymore I will look at other interest but I dont think if you ar consumed with one how you have time for another?
I've always had multiple interests - I do them by first, not having any kids (anyone with children at home has a hard time to have one interest let alone multiple ones); limiting time wasters - in particular no TV; I'm not a big reader, that required for work is sufficient (but P13 I did my best reading with the original books-on-tape when I had a 1.5 hr commute).  And then  there is this, I don't sleep or sit down a lot! 

Up to recently I was dancing competitively, playing the violin, growing orchids, managing a house - and running a complete and intense career.  Loved it!

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 12:23:42 AM »

I understand that. run two major competitions in a year promote the sport. Look after the Dean of a School and a National group of all the Dean of Australia. Plus training on top of that. plus as you say the house the gardens our orchids Tongue which are blooming at the moment. It goes on

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 03:52:13 AM »

Nothing like a full life eh? 

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: