partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 09:08:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116487 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  What am I missing
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What am I missing  (Read 1750 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 05:41:54 AM »

Back to the OP.  Sounds like a great idea to me. Smiley

After the comp this week-end. I have come away not dispondent but low....we practice and practice and practice but the same problems always rear there ugly head....
I dont have enough time to train more but I do need to train smater.

any suggestions as to what we can do. I do practice on my own always as does V. can you over train?

We have beening competing now for three years and have worked from the lowest level to the top level. but the more I see of my dancing I dont like what I see and that can not be a good thing :-/

yet I still enjoy going on the floor and performing  Grin

What's that old saying from Socrates?  "the more I learn the less I know?" or something like that.

I don't necessarily think that seeing more and more things you dislike in your dancing is a sign that you are not making progress.  Rather, it may be a sign that you are making excellent progress in your ability to see your own dancing.  The more you see, the more areas you can find to work on. That can't be a bad thing, IMV. Smiley   

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 09:36:17 PM »

I don't necessarily think that seeing more and more things you dislike in your dancing is a sign that you are not making progress.  Rather, it may be a sign that you are making excellent progress in your ability to see your own dancing.  The more you see, the more areas you can find to work on. That can't be a bad thing, IMV. Smiley   
well put

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 08:26:29 AM »

I've been thinking about this topic and come to the conclusion that dancing well is at least a much a mind/motivation game as it is anything else. 

Really funny.  I started to edit my post with a disclaimer: barring extreme physical limitations.  But, while I was typing that, I realized that dance may be even more of a mind game, if there are physical limitations involved.  Hmm.

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 08:28:31 AM »

Maybe I should clarify.  What I am thinking, with regard to the OP, is that what is missing, if anything, has nothing to do with the objective quality of the dance, but with the way ones dance is thought about or framed in ones mind.

Hmm.  Not sure that makes sense.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 04:59:52 AM »

We have just done our last competition for the year and have had mixed results but overall we are very happy with the improvement in our dancing. we did not make a final in our modern but seeing the final I feel sure some funny business was going on at this competition. the finalist were just awful and I would have been embarrassed if I saw the replay and saw my dancing.

I really feel that they need to address some of the judging. people were agast that we did not make a final and in another age category a regular finalist also did not make it. The politics is getting rife and I dont want to say anything as they may penalize our dancing, but someone needs to stand up. I just dont know the answer

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »

really feel that they need to address some of the judging. people were agast that we did not make a final and in another age category a regular finalist also did not make it. The politics is getting rife and I dont want to say anything as they may penalize our dancing, but someone needs to stand up. I just dont know the answer

I think you already did Wink

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 04:03:21 PM »

really feel that they need to address some of the judging. people were agast that we did not make a final and in another age category a regular finalist also did not make it. The politics is getting rife and I dont want to say anything as they may penalize our dancing, but someone needs to stand up. I just dont know the answer

but who is going to be brave enough to say something to the organisation as you know that you will not be marked again.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 10:10:56 PM »

but who is going to be brave enough to say something to the organisation as you know that you will not be marked again.

You can't.  The only way to affect change is to either do it from inside or to do it en mass.  If all the dancers agree they have to do something - but of course not all will since some benefit.  Thus, your only real option is to join the organization.  Of course that may not work either - in particularly in the dance world because it is not 'one person one vote'.  Previous stars (or perceived stars) have more sway than they may deserve.  So I think you have to work from inside very cautiously - its a long-term project....

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: