partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 05:33:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  What am I missing
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What am I missing  (Read 1275 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: April 09, 2012, 08:26:15 AM »

After the comp this week-end. I have come away not dispondent but low....we practice and practice and practice but the same problems always rear there ugly head....
I dont have enough time to train more but I do need to train smater.

any suggestions as to what we can do. I do practice on my own always as does V. can you over train?

We have beening competing now for three years and have worked from the lowest level to the top level. but the more I see of my dancing I dont like what I see and that can not be a good thing :-/

yet I still enjoy going on the floor and performing  Grin

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 09:20:53 AM »

It sounds very familiar; DP and went through a similar cycle, improving to be truly competetive and then after lots of work and lessons getting steadily worse.  We were just coming out if it when P unfortunately quit Undecided 

Stay with the course.  Your recent lessons will have changed the way you dance but it takes months for that to get incorporated.  As said in my last post (on the results) you may want to ease off lessons now and just go out and dance to get your familiarity back.  Its more important to look happy and dance easily than to do something a bit more fancy on the floor.  AND you may find fixes that work for you and are a little at odds with your training.  Along those lines, if you have a couple of teachers now go to the one most likely to work on musicallity and ballance and avoid the detail freak..

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 04:42:53 PM »

Here is a little advice on how to improve faster.

Find things that you do in your everyday life that can be transferred to dancing. This way you can practice every day without going to the studio. Also find things that you should be doing in your dancing that you also do in your everyday life. This way you will find there are things that you should do in dancing that you have done most of your life. Once you make this a habit you will have many Ah-ha moments.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:13:37 AM »

Find things that you do in your everyday life that can be transferred to dancing. This way you can practice every day without going to the studio. Also find things that you should be doing in your dancing that you also do in your everyday life. This way you will find there are things that you should do in dancing that you have done most of your life. Once you make this a habit you will have many Ah-ha moments.

DSV

So interesting you say this.  I did this in Equestrian and I do this in my dancing too.  I correlate the body mechanics in an everyday movement or task and put it into a dance move where my body uses these same mechanics.  Instant muscle memory and not having to reinvent the wheel all the time. 

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 04:55:14 AM »

DSV

Thanks for this....I will do as much of this I can think of. I will run through the womens jobs and see which ones can apply to my daily life.Cheesy

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 04:56:37 AM »

DSV

Thanks for this....I will do as much of this I can think of. I will run through the womens jobs and see which ones can apply to my daily life.Cheesy
..just try not to do it the other way round ... Roll Eyes Shocked

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 06:26:42 AM »

DSV

I don't mean this to be disrespectful or dismissive in any way, but this reminds me a lot of the original Karate Kid movie.  Wax on Wax off.   Waxing a car became a karate form.

I must think about how to find more moments of dance in my everyday life.  Thank you for this excellent advice. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:42:19 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 04:03:09 AM »

It is very sage advice indeed. and nice to re-read it again

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 08:22:20 AM »

Smiley

I love going back and reading DSV's posts for the very first time.  What a resource, even though she is not active here, right now.  Those older posts are a gold mine. :0

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 08:06:50 PM »

you are not kidding - its one of our biggest assets but so hard to get that info out.  I have tried...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 08:18:51 PM »

The word will get out in good time.  Cool

[singing] Our day will come .. [/singing]

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 09:07:36 PM »

"we shall overcome.."

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 11:36:35 PM »

I like my song better.  IIRC, it's a cheesy bossa nova from the 60s.  Let's hear it for victory anthems that you can dance to.  Grin

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 11:41:04 PM »

Yep.  Ruby and the Romantics. 1963.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw9RVjEN9OI

ETA: I guess I should add that it's on the slow side, but a lot of people would probably dance samba to this song. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 12:56:16 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 05:30:12 AM »

what are you missing?  not a lot on PDO, that's for sure Tongue Roll Eyes Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: