partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 01:10:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Showcase dancing - price?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Showcase dancing - price?  (Read 2531 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: March 10, 2012, 04:03:38 AM »

I was wondering what others pay for a pro-am showcase?  In my case its a social event - I am having a birthday party and thought of doing a short showcase - just two dances for 2 minutes each.  Anyone have a cost on that? 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 08:06:58 PM »

I would not put a value on "2 minutes" each...or devalue a 'showcase'...... It will take the pro time to choreograph ---time out of his day (or night).
Afterall, it is his profession. What is the going rate in your area?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 08:36:38 PM »

I would not put a value on "2 minutes" each...or devalue a 'showcase'...... It will take the pro time to choreograph ---time out of his day (or night).

I've no idea what the 'going' rate is but have had quotes ranging from $200 to $800 for the showcase itself - plus of course all the lessons necessary to learn the routine etc.

I did not mean to devalue at all - I value it very highly, after all I'm dancing!!  Perhaps I didn't make that clear...  But the price must be related to the length - I would guess there is a 'event' fee plus a fee depending on how many dances and how long they are. 

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:53:57 AM »

I've no idea what the 'going' rate is but have had quotes ranging from $200 to $800 for the showcase itself - plus of course all the lessons necessary to learn the routine etc.

I did not mean to devalue at all - I value it very highly, after all I'm dancing!!  Perhaps I didn't make that clear...  But the price must be related to the length - I would guess there is a 'event' fee plus a fee depending on how many dances and how long they are. 
I know amateurs in my neck of the woods charge about $200 per number.  So I'm sure Pros charge more than that.  So Pro Am would probably fall around the same amount or more. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 02:52:40 AM »

I know amateurs in my neck of the woods charge about $200 per number.  So I'm sure Pros charge more than that.  So Pro Am would probably fall around the same amount or more. 
Amateurs can get paid to do showcases?  I'm having a hard time figuring out what an AM is....

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:56:22 AM »

Amateurs can get paid to do showcases?  I'm having a hard time figuring out what an AM is....
They get paid plenty... they always have.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:36:28 PM »

I have heard that it is $100 a dance for amateurs dancers and $200 for Pros but that is just what I have heard around.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 08:24:53 AM »

I have heard that it is $100 a dance for amateurs dancers and $200 for Pros but that is just what I have heard around.
And $500 for a pro-AM Undecided Tongue

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 12:19:32 PM »

Makes perfect sense to me.  Pro-Am's Ams have way more expenses than a pro or am couple.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:34:53 PM by Some guy » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 01:15:11 PM »

Makes perfect sense to me.  Pro-Am's Ams have way more expenses than a pro or am couple.
I thought that was a bit weird when I read it but I guess I have not been clear about who is charging and who paying!

What I was referring to originally was a pro-am who wants to do a showcase with a pro - what does the latter charge?
The other question is what does a client charge to host a showcase.  Now that is very interesting. 

Here the pro couple charges a fee ranging from 100-2,000 (and up).  Technically the AM coupld can not charge - but I've since heard that its OK for moderate amounts.  I think the pro-am GETs charged by the pro and the latter would ALSO take the studio fee.  I don't think a pro-am is permitted to get any money except schollarship wins (which are (invariably?) less than entry costs anyway).

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 03:36:28 AM »

And $500 for a pro-AM Undecided Tongue

Or you can think $300.00 ($200/$100).

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 03:42:44 AM »

If you are paying the Pro to do a showcase with you I suppose you can think of how much youu would pay if you competed.  If you paid him $100 a dance plus expenses at a comp then the demo would be the same since you are basically doing the same thing but just not being judged.  You could charge people to watch the showcase to cover the costs having the Pro incurs.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 06:05:01 AM »

If you are paying the Pro to do a showcase with you I suppose you can think of how much youu would pay if you competed.  If you paid him $100 a dance plus expenses at a comp then the demo would be the same since you are basically doing the same thing but just not being judged.  You could charge people to watch the showcase to cover the costs having the Pro incurs.
Isn't that all wrong though?  You should not have to pay the pro for your own effort!  What is this about the normalcy of screwing pro-ams?  If two pros get 200 for a showcase why should one pro get 300 for the same effort?

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 10:27:53 PM »

If Pros want $200.00 per dance and Am's are given $100.00 due to being an Am then it would work out to $300 a dance.  I don't think the Pro should get paid and the Am not for sure. I think you should get $100.00.  Since it is for yourself and you are going to be staying with this Pro, plus it is not a competition where he has to go through all the hassle of a long day at a comp then I think it fair that he gets $100 per dance.  He has to get something to make it worth his while but he doesn't need to gouge you either.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 02:29:37 AM »

Obviously I'm still not explaining the circumstances!  But lets just focus on the net pay to the pro: is $600 reasonable for two 2 minute dances?

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: