partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 06:52:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116487 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  The Age at one begins to Dance
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: The Age at one begins to Dance  (Read 6284 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2013, 10:15:45 AM »

You're preaching to the choir. I have at least a dozen pairs of inexpensive reading glasses strewn everywhere.  Couldn't survive without them.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2013, 03:59:35 AM »

the next stage is where the eyes go off on their own individual problems and the reading glasses won't cut it..

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2013, 08:30:40 AM »

Good to know I have something to look forward to ... Wink

Fortunately, dance is something that can be done, even by the blind.  So no worries on that score, even when I'm old ad decrepit.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2013, 07:42:37 AM »

indeed I know one male dancers that wears sunglasses on the floor, he is almost blind and sill does an amazing job Cheesy

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2013, 08:04:15 AM »

indeed I know one male dancers that wears sunglasses on the floor, he is almost blind and sill does an amazing job Cheesy
...scent of a woman...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2013, 09:45:38 AM »

Now that you mention it ... (Loved that movie and was so impressed by the tango.  Too bad I went back and watched it after I learned to dance.  Talk about shattered illusions! lol)

And BOT, there are all those studies that have been published over the past decade or so about the correlation between dance and diminished rates of dementia in old age. 

Leaving aside what one can accomplish in the dance world for just a moment, I think that improved health, mobility and mental acuity in old age are plenty beneficial, all by themselves. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2013, 10:35:36 PM »

Those studies have been grossly over-interpreted of course.  Each group (classical music/dance/walkers/crosswords etc etc) claim that their activity slows senility.  And the answer is YES.  they all seem to have some effect - but whats often ignored is that its the set of old folks that can do all those things that age slower (everybodh DUH!).  Very few studies were 'proactive'- taking a set of random people and asigning them activities or no activities.  Of course thats nuts too - how do you stop someone in the 'no crosswords) from, say, enjoying bingo?  Jury is still out...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2013, 03:03:54 AM »

Those studies have been grossly over-interpreted of course.  Each group (classical music/dance/walkers/crosswords etc etc) claim that their activity slows senility.  And the answer is YES.  they all seem to have some effect - but whats often ignored is that its the set of old folks that can do all those things that age slower (everybodh DUH!).  Very few studies were 'proactive'- taking a set of random people and asigning them activities or no activities.  Of course thats nuts too - how do you stop someone in the 'no crosswords) from, say, enjoying bingo?  Jury is still out...

Most studies that make it to the front page have been homogenized ad interpreted until the results are not all that meanigful.  IIRC, several studies suggested that it's the combinationn of mental and physical activity in dance that retards the aging process.

Eh.  Jury's out, and while it is, why not dance, just in case?  Grin

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: