partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 01:57:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Dancer-audience dynamics
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dancer-audience dynamics  (Read 1284 times)
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« on: March 07, 2012, 02:39:33 AM »

However, for some people, there is another aspect of that closed loop of energy passing between partners, and then exploding out into the audience and back, that is much, much more than simply moving to music using steps and gestures.
Perfect!  So well put!  Love it!
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 06:21:14 AM »

well that comes down to trust.and giving up of control, as soon as you can do that then that dynamics comes through and people enjoy watching what you do.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 06:45:09 AM »

well that comes down to trust.and giving up of control, as soon as you can do that then that dynamics comes through and people enjoy watching what you do.
well put...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 09:09:26 AM »

Agree!
drj
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 09:43:44 AM »

I think it's different from that. In the born performer, there's nothing at all about giving up control. What they do, imho, is *take* control of the audience, at the same time that they're giving themselves. "This is MY room" my friend Stanley used to say; he was a born performer, a vaudeville headliner, an Entertainer from the get-go. Did he trust himself? Absolutely. Give up control? Never, or at least not willingly.

In partner dancing, I so often see one partner who is the energy conduit, interacting with the audience as well as the partner. I don't like watching those couples. But when both partners are willing to give and receive, to each other and to themselves, the audience engages like another participant in the dance. And that has nothing at all to do with giving up control, or with trust.

You cannot make it happen; you can only let it happen.

ancora imparo
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 10:45:39 PM »

Interesting...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:41:15 PM »

I don't think what DRJ is so totally removed from my post. It comes from within the energy of two people on the dance floor. Last night I watch a couple learning a lesson  and they were nowhere near one unit show natural expression. some people will never get that and a few others that perhaps have too much. Shocked

I have been often told by spectators that they love to watch my partner and I dance as we truly look like we are enjoying ourselves, and that is because we are. We flirt, and are cheeky with each other but are serious and intense when we need to be. Its about reading the mood of your audience as well.

Trust is a part of it all and I agree that you can't make it happen,it will happen, but you have to trust your partner to lead and the other to follow when it is their turn to do so.

Dance Forum
drj
Bronze

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 05:03:06 PM »

<bump>

I've been thinking more about this subject recently. Some of the performances at Dance Legends really pushed my buttons about dancer-audience dynamics, and I've been turning the issue over in my mind for at least a week.

I got into a discussion with a good friend about our totally different perceptions of some of the couples, in particular, the youth Latin champions. I loathed them; she loved them.  She had a seat much closer to the dance floor than I did, and could fill her eyes with more of what was going on: more detail of their movement, costuming, etc. I went to the official photographers site, to see if it was possible to recognize what she was talking about when she talked about their energy, their connection, their life: in general, how terrific they were. I will link to the page on the photographer's site, which has many photos of the couple in question:
http://stephenmarino.smugmug.com/DanceSportEvents/2012-Dance-Legends/Friday-Show-Act-2/22489234_nL6DbP#!i=1798571702&k=HfkFjNR

(I hope that link shows Friday Show Act 2 -- page 14 of 22.)

In the photos, they look alive, exciting, energized, and connected. In person, I found them dull, mannered, almost annoying. How does this happen?

It can't be just because I was too far away, b/c other couples gave performances that took the audience in to their performance space. Other couples had, as I have said before, "...that closed loop of energy passing between partners, and then exploding out into the audience and back..." and it reached me, even far away, at the back of the balcony.

In these photos, the couple looks like they're passing energy between themselves. But sending it out to the audience and back?  Not so much.  And when you dance, whether it is in competition or a showdance, you are performing. You can't leave the audience out of the equation. IMHO, a performer who doesn't sell a performance to the cheap seats, is selling himself and his audience short.

How do you DO that?

ancora imparo
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 05:25:04 PM »

Easy answer: power vs force. 
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 09:19:31 PM »

SG is right. There are couples that use what is called “Chi”. When couple use “Chi” their performance can be felt all the way to the very back of the room. Some couples develop this with no conscious attention while other couples study with teachers that are able to teach them how to use their Chi. There are not many coaches that are able to teach this but I would say it is one of the most important aspects that one can develop if one wishes to compete and be successful.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 08:53:53 PM »

SG is right. There are couples that use what is called “Chi”. When couple use “Chi” their performance can be felt all the way to the very back of the room. Some couples develop this with no conscious attention while other couples study with teachers that are able to teach them how to use their Chi. There are not many coaches that are able to teach this but I would say it is one of the most important aspects that one can develop if one wishes to compete and be successful.

DSV

I so agree with this and it comes from withing and a self belief as well. I dont think about seeling it to the "Cheap Seats" but I sell it because I feel the music and love the feeling going through my body. when we got off the floor from our last comp someone said to us you showed such passion out there and the others did not and only smiled as they were leaving the floor. :-/ I dont know if you can ever teach those feelings you either have them or not. You can encourage and explain but if you dont feel it how can you sell it?

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 01:59:06 PM »

Interesting.   It seems to me that what you're talking about here is what I would have called stage presence, in another life -- the ability to get the audience engaged in your performance.  I agree with drj.  I think it's about taking control, not giving it up.

Reminds me of the best and the worst concerts I've ever attended.  At the best, Eric Clapton walked onto the stage in a venue that seated about 30,000 with such presence that he silenced the audience without saying a single word.  to this day, I cannot figure out how he did that, but I can tell you that I could "feel" him a football field away in the balcony.

At the worst concert, a gentleman that I will not name played jazz guitar to an audience of maybe three hundred.  Absolutely zero interaction with the audience. No eye contact. Not a word.  Nothing.  The music was technically perfect, but the concert was an epic fail.  Kind of reminiscent of what drj said about the couple above. Even if the dance is technically perfect, there needs to be something more (Chi?) to channel ones energy out into the audience and invite them into your space.

Not sure how you go about developing it, but I know it when I see it.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 03:27:56 PM »

Great catch on this topic P13. I had forgoten it - only goes to show that length is certainly not everything!  Love DRJ's description - just what I would love to achieve.  But is that really compatible with competition dancing?  I mean how many judges will give you marks for 'spark' 'connection' charisma'. 

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 03:54:58 PM »

Thanks. Smiley  When I resurrect topics, I try to cull the ones that are still relevant or the ones that are timeless.  That's why it takes so long. It takes a lot of reading to find a good older topic.  Wink

BOT:   I looked at the pictures drj referred to and, even from still photos, this couple looks cold to me.  Not sure if judges marks would necessarily reflect stage presence or not, but I can see that lack of it would definitely make a less pleasant experience for the audience.  The audience is there to watch after all; isn't it lacking ... something ... to dance just for yourselves?

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 09:40:36 PM »

Interesting this topic.  We have always been told by spectaculars that they love to watch our dancing as we look like we are enjoying ourselves. but of course they look for different things that judges do. We would not always place that highly and they would say why is that so. But they are both looking at different aspects of dancing.

Which one is important? I don't know but  I believe that it has to be both. I think we are getting closer to having the right technique and because our dancing is now in muscle memory we can sell it more Cheesy. And that is the part of the dancing I really enjoy!

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: