partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 06:41:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Exercises (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Tai Chi and ballroom
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tai Chi and ballroom  (Read 3411 times)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« on: February 17, 2012, 11:37:24 AM »

[ED Edit Smiley This is too interesting to be burried in another topic...]

I would not really do stretching in the normal sense of the word. I would shake and loosen my body, then do a little stretching. Then more shaking and relaxing the muscles and then a little more stretching. I would do it, while walking around in a very small quite area. I found it was really important to get the muscles relaxed and flexible rather then “strong”. When the muscles where totally relaxed and flexible they had no problem stretching all that they needed for the dancing full out.  

Dora-Satya Veda

I appreciate this advice. It seems to work for me too. What do you think of doing Yoga to improve my dancing?

I think Yoga is fine to do but it is stationary which is different from dancing. I have found that doing Tai Chi is a better way to cross train. The movements are slow, balanced, strongly centered and stretches fully which is what is expected of you in dancing. They also talk about the use of Chi in many different forms which is also beneficial for dancing. The understanding of internal Chi and surrounding Chi is not normally something that dancers on the long route learn till they are in the top 24 of the professional ranks and sometime not till later (top 12 or final). You might as well learn it as soon as possible and thereby take the short cut.

DSV

« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:28:25 PM by elisedance » Logged

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 12:30:01 PM »

I do believe Tai Chi is the best cross trainer to do too.  I've seen it for myself.  I know plenty of Yoga afficianados and experts that just couldn't transition to ballroom.  The Tai Chi folks had no problems with it and were usually way ahead of the curve than other ballroom students. 
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 03:57:13 AM »

have never done tai chi but it has always appealed. I think anything that can improve self awareness and balance has to be a good thing.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 04:25:17 AM »

anyone tried it?  we need a link...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 04:28:26 AM »

here's the wiki...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T'ai_chi_ch'uan

Whenever I try to read about these I get lost in the evolution and variations - so we start with traditional which evolved into 5 variants which were modified for the military/health/etc and now has 10 modern schools HELP!

Will the real Ballroom Tai Chi please stand up?

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:45:26 AM »

I would go with soft style Tai Chi or Self-defense Tai Chi.  Most places in the US teach the soft style or the self defense style. The soft style will help with the relaxing the muscles, center focus, balance in movement and stretching. The self defense style will help with the understanding of using body weight, center focus and balance in movement. If they don’t have either of those styles in your area just do any style of Tai Chi. I do think all styles of Tai Chi would be beneficial as they are very similar in many ways. It is really just about how to use the Chi (energy) in different ways. As dancers we also need to understand and use the Chi in different ways.

DSV

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 12:43:12 PM »

Thanks for the clarification DSV.  Sounds like a terrfic life thing too.  I think it would help me, sometimes I have ballance issues...

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 05:03:26 PM »

Tai Chi would help you a lot with balance.

DSV

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »

Tai Chi would help you a lot with balance.
must look into it.  And into where in my day I have 30 minutes Shocked Tongue

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 08:42:27 AM »

I am starting Pilates tomorrow. It is being done in conjunction with my phsyio. I feel that this will help with my leg, I seems to be having peaks and troughs.... I need for it to remain consistent

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »

I am starting Pilates tomorrow. It is being done in conjunction with my phsyio. I feel that this will help with my leg, I seems to be having peaks and troughs.... I need for it to remain consistent

still working on the Pilates....and now have joined the gym and they do it in group classes as well trying to do at least two sessions a week.... I see that the core is the key to many things...including the way your legs work!

Dance Forum
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 12:53:27 AM »

If you watch someone who is a master in tai chi you will see his movements correspond to almost any of the standard dances. Doesn't matter the tempo of music. When I first saw this I was blown away. Quite beautiful. Constant flowing movement, always between the feet, always light/soft in the knees.

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 07:24:29 AM »

yes Tai Chi is one of DSV favorites and I am now at a gym that offers a body balance class and this incorporates Tai Chi. with the xmas break they have reduced the amount of classes but will look out for ones that I can do in a lunch hour.

Balance is pivotal to many things and something we loose as we get older!

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: