partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 07:43:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Classique du Quebec
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Classique du Quebec  (Read 1071 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: February 12, 2012, 03:35:18 AM »

http://www.laclassiqueduquebec.com/laclassiqueduquebec.com/Intro.html

Results (with photos of the winners) are being posted on Supershag:
http://gallery.supershag.com/g/la_classique_du_quebec_2012

And they always do a great job of covering not only the Am and pro results but also the pro-am.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 03:36:15 AM »

However, they only photograph the finalists - for any more you have to wait for dancesportinfo (or the site itself).

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 02:06:32 PM »

Every February in Quebec.  Hmm. I bet it's beautiful.  Cold. and beautiful.

http://www.laclassiqueduquebec.com/laclassiqueduquebec.com/La_Classique_du_Quebec_E.html

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 02:11:27 PM »

Surely we already have a topic for the Classique?  I've been so often... hmmmm..

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 02:12:11 PM »

Here it is Cheesy

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 02:13:28 PM »

Ha!  the power of moderating....

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 11:30:15 PM »

The local studio has decided to go to the Classique for the first time.  They have not been to Montreal before so it should be an adventure for them.  They are doing Pro/Am.  Any tips you have for them Elise may be helpful and I will be happy to pass along. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 08:36:03 AM »

hi there R Smiley

Strongly suggest staying at the Marriot if you can afford it - its not cheap but the luxurious feel of the place is really spa-like - every room has a view onto the roof garden - or realy the roof forrest and there are no elevators.  So the experience can be quite restorative, very different from many comps where you are in a hotel miles from anywhere and with little more amenities than a motel.  The biggest advantage is being able to change in your room and go straight to the competition and not have to fit into the communal changing room with the worries of security for your possessions etc (not that its an issue, its just always in the back of your mind).  Not only that but remember that you can have a lot of snow and very low temps in Montreal - trecking through it each day can be an awful chore

The Classique is getting bigger and bigger.  Although it is very well run there are inevitably outcomes.  The most important one I think is that you need to practise your dancing so that it can be fit on a split floor.  The comp floor is enormous so when split its still pretty large but you could be mixed in with some very different heats (once we - 7 prechamp standard couples - had 5 I think junior standard couples AND one open smooth couple on the same split floor; it was a survival test).  Also there is a smaller floor that is used mostly for practise but also has comps on it - its a reasonable size but not a full length I think.  Thus, I do suggest trying your routines on crowded floors and maybe even developing a simplified routine - it there are 20 couples on the floor the judges are not going to be impressed, or even see, your throwaway oversway.  They are going to check couples who can easily dance basic steps through the melee.

One more thing: if you can take the train.  Its very restful, if you go Via rail business class you get a full meal and drinks - flashback to the old days of opulence.  Most important, the station is downtown and a short walk to the hotel.

That's it for now - will write more anon...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 11:00:39 PM »

I will pass this on to them.  I think they are going to be staying at the hotel since I am sure they will get stuck having to take the Pro/Am package so that the instructor can qualify for the top teacher awards.  It has been too long since I have gone to be able to give them any them any useful ideas or advice.

Are you going to be going to the Classique?

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 11:31:24 PM »

Most probably not - I'm not dancing at all right now so certainly won't be competing.

Now if they had a string quartet competition.... Grin

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 10:59:59 PM »

So sad to hear that you are not dancing but I can understand.  We see Dave Reddin and Marie and Dave was mtelling me they got tired of the high price of dance lessons to only go to a compeition and feel like they are not being judged fairly or have a chance of doing well do to politics.    They hear the Chinese asking who is judging so they can go take a bunch of lessons to look for marks.  They also see the Chinese giving expensive gifts and so forth and it has lead them to wonder why bother.  I can understand that the Pro/Am can be tough too.  I see these ladies doing 80 entries so they can win top student, or I should say being soaked for their money so their instructor, who is already making a good buck off of them, can win even more money by getting top teacher at the expense of their students.  Pro/Am ladies usually last 2 or 3 years then they are either jaded, feel cheated or wonder what the heck they are getting out of it and is it worth what they are paying for it.  I went 2 years then got to wonder what the heck I was doing.  I am sure there are good Pro/Am teachers and not all the Ams feel or are getting burned but I think it has become a fiasco and it is such a tragedy.  

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 06:30:32 AM »

So sad to hear that you are not dancing but I can understand.  We see Dave Reddin and Marie and Dave was mtelling me they got tired of the high price of dance lessons to only go to a compeition and feel like they are not being judged fairly or have a chance of doing well do to politics.    They hear the Chinese asking who is judging so they can go take a bunch of lessons to look for marks.  They also see the Chinese giving expensive gifts and so forth and it has lead them to wonder why bother.  I can understand that the Pro/Am can be tough too.  I see these ladies doing 80 entries so they can win top student, or I should say being soaked for their money so their instructor, who is already making a good buck off of them, can win even more money by getting top teacher at the expense of their students.  Pro/Am ladies usually last 2 or 3 years then they are either jaded, feel cheated or wonder what the heck they are getting out of it and is it worth what they are paying for it.  I went 2 years then got to wonder what the heck I was doing.  I am sure there are good Pro/Am teachers and not all the Ams feel or are getting burned but I think it has become a fiasco and it is such a tragedy. 

Please be careful about profiling: my experience is that the Asians competitors vary in their ethics just as much as any other group.  The problem is that its easy to make a mental note of a failing its a different set of people - that's exactly how 'women are bad drivers' etc developed.

That said, gifting and taking lessons in order to get marks goes on everywhere.  I suspect (but have no evidence) that's why some couples suddenly do well one year at Blackpool and then disappear the next.  Which is the important point: such efforts may work with some judges on the short term but eventually they reach their limit and the couple becomes human again...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: