partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 02:50:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116183 Posts in 1853 Topics by 220 Members
Latest Member: elam63
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Knockout dancesport?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Knockout dancesport?  (Read 1222 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: October 15, 2012, 03:59:54 AM »

I went to watch the Ontario Open Dancesport competition on Saturday - which was a bit weird as I've never been to one and not competed before.  It was decidedly relaxed to attend without having to think about costumes, makeup, shoes, and of course stepping on the floor!  While on the other hand I kinda felt like one shoe...

But thats not what this is about.  The competition was pretty typical - with the usual couples dancing their usual ways, some better than before and some not quite as good.  Generally fun - but then we came to the under 21 standard and things got different.

There were three couples - A, B and C.  C was clearly outclassed (they were dancing up) so the fun was between leads A and B.  A is a veteran - the lead has a lot of international experience and has been the darling of Ontario dancesport for years (and fairly recently has changed partners).  B I had never seen before, even though they were from Toronto - this was clearly the upstart couple.  A had finess, B energy.  This was the most exciting matchup I had seen in years.  I felt sorry for the judges - each couple was terrific - but it was like chalk and cheese.  I didn't see the awards so still don't know who won - but it was almost certainly A for 'seniority' and probably for technical finess.

But that was not the reason for this post.  That came in the VW.  Right form the outset couple B went to the centre and started fleckrls.  this was a yard or two infront of me, slightly to my right, and then almost immediately A joined them just to my left - round and round they went - and it became obvious that this was a direct young-man's challenge - round and round tey continued at break neck speed - each absolutely gorgeaous.  Finally, B broke off and I caught a glimpse of the satisfied grin on A's face - the look of having asserted his dominance.  It was a moment of drama and one that I will savour. 

It got me thinking as to how much more exciting dancesport would be if it was done more as in tennis or soccer playoffs - where the couples were matched one-to-one in a knockout match!  That would let us see them and compare them directly rather than the confusion that is the standard competition.  The standard multi-couple comp could be used to identify the top rank, but then the finals would be a couple pairs knockout match!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 08:01:05 AM »

well we saw an example of this at Blackpool this year.  The top amateur couples in Tango were blocked in the corner by the up and coming and everyone went crazy and then in the next corner the top amateur couple did the same to the other couple , so there was a fight on the floor with out a fight. Fabulous to watch. Shocked

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »

I noticed couple A, the veteran, has really gotten a new lease on competition life with his new partner.  It seemed he had a new sense of purpose and could now dance more energetic and with gusto.  Very good to see him back in the country and doing well.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 04:55:47 PM »

What happened to you ee?  I was looking around for you but could not get the chance to hang out in the ballroom long as I kept getting called away for one thing or another, mainly clothing issues.  Loved to been able to sit with you for awhile, but I was glad to see you out. 

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:29:55 PM »

I noticed couple A, the veteran, has really gotten a new lease on competition life with his new partner.  It seemed he had a new sense of purpose and could now dance more energetic and with gusto.  Very good to see him back in the country and doing well.

which one won?  I'm guessing A...

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 09:01:35 PM »

What happened to you ee?  I was looking around for you but could not get the chance to hang out in the ballroom long as I kept getting called away for one thing or another, mainly clothing issues.  Loved to been able to sit with you for awhile, but I was glad to see you out. 
I left before the awards - didn't seem much point in staying longer.  Sorry to miss you - next time OK?

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 02:36:32 AM »

A won.  A's old partner is still having trouble getting a partner.  The one she had left and nothing since.  She may have a difficult time of it soon which is too bad.

I'm not going to the Maple Leaf but hope to go to the Niagara Comp.  As of Monday I have been given the okay to start doing more with my foot.  What a long haul, a year and a half with my right foot and be good for two weeks to only have the left one go.  Of course the stress of the right created the left.  It will be a year by December that the left started to give me problems but it went more at the Niagara comp then totally the night before the Closed when we were practising like mad.  Not a good thing for me but in a way good for my DP since he has had about 9 months where he has been doing his own lessons while waiting for me.  It has allowed him to focus on himself with a Pro rather than us and it has helped him out a lot.  Now the trick is to see if I can get my strength, let alone the routines and such ready within 12 weeks. 

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 02:49:37 AM »

A won.  A's old partner is still having trouble getting a partner.  The one she had left and nothing since.  She may have a difficult time of it soon which is too bad.

I'm not going to the Maple Leaf but hope to go to the Niagara Comp.  As of Monday I have been given the okay to start doing more with my foot.  What a long haul, a year and a half with my right foot and be good for two weeks to only have the left one go.  Of course the stress of the right created the left.  It will be a year by December that the left started to give me problems but it went more at the Niagara comp then totally the night before the Closed when we were practicing like mad.  Not a good thing for me but in a way good for my DP since he has had about 9 months where he has been doing his own lessons while waiting for me.  It has allowed him to focus on himself with a Pro rather than us and it has helped him out a lot.  Now the trick is to see if I can get my strength, let alone the routines and such ready within 12 weeks. 

My injuries almost mirror yours in time wise. except my knees were the issue. My partner two is having lessons and has a training buddy which has been great for me. I always believe the partnership is as good as the man. Not that I am saying that the women is not important far from it. But if the man is not strong does not matter how good the women is it wont look good on the floor.

I am doing everything that is asked of me and hope to start some light training in four weeks. I go to all the lessons and listen to what is being asked and absorb the lesson. I will see in a few weeks time if it has had any impact.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 11:18:14 PM »

Good luck, I hope your knee is back to 100% soon.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 09:01:49 PM »

A ballroom Smackdown!!  I can't see old school judges liking that very much.  Audiences, yes.  Judges, no.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 10:27:42 PM »

Not exactly sure what you mean by a smackdown - but the topic wasn't supposed to be violent Wink

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 05:56:08 AM »

Neither is a smackdown.  It's hyperbole used in the fake wrestling industry in the US.  More theater than actual combat. It's a showdown between supposed arch rivals who somehow magically get up, walk away and have a few beers together after inflicting "mortal" wounds on each other at just the right camera angle, before they go out and decide who's going to win next week.  Grin

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 09:04:12 PM »

Ah, I see.  like breakdancers showing off their stuff - or like the classic jazz trumpet duels in old new Orleans..

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: