partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 09:52:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Group lessons
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Group lessons  (Read 1788 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 10:15:37 PM »

groups are hard and I assist at a group class but only ever help beginners.... The more I know the more I dont know Cheesy so happy to teach people to understand the basics.  If you can insire sometone to continue there dancing journey it has been all worthwhile.

I wonder if there should be group classes that move through, beginners intermediate and advance, I know some schools do but alot have everyone there at the same time, I am sure there are pros and cons to both.

But it is good to go back to basics you can never have enough of it

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 07:53:35 AM »

Wow.  This is a great topic that didn't gain momentum.  I wonder why. I think that group lessons can be a great supplement to private lessons, with some caveats.  One: The group lesson teacher has to be a good teacher.  Sounds obvious, but it isn't.  A lot of the studios I've attended have assigned the least experienced teachers to group lessons.  So you have to be careful which groups you attend, if you want to get a good learning experience out of the deal.   

And the same thing from another angle is that most studios offer lessons at the level of the majority of their students so, as you advance, it becomes more and more difficult to find group classes at your level because the number of students thins out.  This is something to keep in mind if you're at a studio that offers a lesson package that includes private, group and parties. 

My $0.02.
One of the best parts of group lessons is that you are mixing with dancers at a similar level and, hence, run at least a chance of finding a practise partner and maybe more... least thats the theory! (hasn't worked for me thus far...)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 09:16:41 AM »

One of the best parts of group lessons is that you are mixing with dancers at a similar level and, hence, run at least a chance of finding a practise partner and maybe more... least thats the theory! (hasn't worked for me thus far...)

I know! That is kinda my plan, too. I think a solid dance community would work, too, for finding a partner. I did know many people finding their partner through group lessons. 
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 10:24:29 AM »

I think it may depend on where you are taking the group lessons.  At a lot  of the venues where I have danced, the male to female ratio was not conducive to much of anything other that meeting a bunch of new dance buddies.  I suppose that the guys might have had a better chance of meeting a suitable partner, though.  Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 10:42:07 AM »

Some healthy competition between women is good for us guys Grin.

I suppose that that makes sense. It is quite interesting to see the male/female ration change over months and years, and over different levels.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 11:06:24 AM »

That's okay.  Just rub it it!  Wink

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 04:52:39 AM »

I suppose that that makes sense. It is quite interesting to see the male/female ration change over months and years, and over different levels.
we've had a couple of posters report that in their area the ratio is the other way round, the guys have to compete for girls.  Seems far healthier to me... Grin

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 10:53:58 AM »

Agreed.  Cheesy

To be honest, although some people do meet partners in group classes, I have found them to be more useful in terms of practicing technique using simpler patterns that I already know. Even the most basic classes can be used by higher level dancer, if you look at them in that way.

My $0.02.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 05:20:43 PM »

Agreed.  Cheesy

To be honest, although some people do meet partners in group classes, I have found them to be more useful in terms of practicing technique using simpler patterns that I already know. Even the most basic classes can be used by higher level dancer, if you look at them in that way.

My $0.02.

How many $0.02 is that now?  Do we have a $1 yet?

Definitely true - if you are clever you can use any motion to learn.  I use walking for a lot of dance training

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 07:27:27 PM »

Yup.  I know of more than a few people who use a shopping cart at the supermarket.  Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 10:56:10 PM »

Yup.  I know of more than a few people who use a shopping cart at the supermarket.  Cool

always Grin

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 04:02:30 AM »

Doors and door frames also work well.  Grin

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 06:56:02 AM »

Agreed.  Cheesy

My $0.02.

Interesting point. I guess it has to do with the community - since I was on a dance team/club, it is very usual to find your partner through group lesson. I mean, it is a good place to judge your partner's skill, compatibility through a few dances without risks.

When I was back in the team, there were these "speed partnering" thingy the team hosted. Basically everyone that is interested in partnering could come, and we will put on music and people can dance. After maybe 30 seconds or a minute, change partner. It is quite similar to group lesson setting, but without the instructor talking, and you know that everyone here is for looking a partner...except me Wink. I joined a few of those (when I still had a partner), just for fun. I mean, I enjoyed the atmosphere, the energy. Beginners were always so passionate and excited! I remembered someone actually asked me if I was really looking for a new partner...and I said no. The fun went on until my partner came in and saw me dancing in this event...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 07:03:08 AM »

Speed dating for dance partners?  Wow.  Ballroom dance really has come into the 21st century with a vengeance.  I can imagine that those events would work well to help you eliminate possible partners. I can't see how they would help you find a partner, though.  there are too many attributes needed in a desirable partner. No way to tell in the 30-second tryout.

Interesting,though. Smiley  I learn something new every day.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 03:53:33 PM »

Agreed.  Cheesy

My $0.02.

When I was back in the team, there were these "speed partnering" thingy the team hosted. Basically everyone that is interested in partnering could come, and we will put on music and people can dance. After maybe 30 seconds or a minute, change partner. It is quite similar to group lesson setting, but without the instructor talking, and you know that everyone here is for looking a partner...except me Wink. I joined a few of those (when I still had a partner), just for fun. I mean, I enjoyed the atmosphere, the energy. Beginners were always so passionate and excited! I remembered someone actually asked me if I was really looking for a new partner...and I said no. The fun went on until my partner came in and saw me dancing in this event...
LOL - and I bet you were close to actually having to find a partner after that Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: