partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:41:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Going back...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Going back...  (Read 2588 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 12:28:20 PM »

Well, so much for that idea!  Select Pro has decided to stop doing pro-am (too many new admin commitments Undecided ). 

OTOH (I feel like a tennis match) they MAY know of a tall AM or two....

anyone else in your area as an option??
Pro?  One I guess but he's just gone through a personal tragedy so I'll follow up on that in due course.  Else, noone that has the potential to make the finals at OSB.  And if that is a possibility its simply not worth the financial outlay.
What about finding someone down my way? There are some excellent dancers here...

Might seem a PITA at first, having to commute down regularly to train, but it can have it's upsides as well.
Thanks for the thought - but with my lifestyle its just not practical.

I looked up another pro last night - but he's decided pro-am is just not for him.  Wish we had more pros on here giving some insights to this - I wonder if its a growing trend, eschewing pro-am...  [yes, I know it could be me Tongue ]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 05:51:51 PM »

Around here there are some accomplished pros who have retired from pro-am competing and started to judge. And on the other end of spectrum there are some pros who are not particularly good, and so they don't feel like doing it.
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 10:53:47 PM »

Well, so much for that idea!  Select Pro has decided to stop doing pro-am (too many new admin commitments Undecided ). 

OTOH (I feel like a tennis match) they MAY know of a tall AM or two....

anyone else in your area as an option??
I commute for my lessons and I like it. I use the travel tie to read, watch videos, think about life in general and play on the internet.....in other words, make lemonade!
... Else, noone that has the potential to make the finals at OSB.  And if that is a possibility its simply not worth the financial outlay.
One possibility to consider is having a long-distance pro-am relationship. Fly to NYC or wherever the guy you choose lives, dance together as much as you can over the weekend, then go back.
I do have such a possibility, and a lot closer than NY (I could take a train).... question is, can I get the incentive?  Perhaps if I could practise my violin on the train!
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 10:56:05 PM »

I'm biting the bullet: AM comp does not appear to be in the stars for me for now - today I try out with a pro-am partner.  He's a terrific dancer and I've taken lessons from him before.  Main issue?  His attitude - is this about making money or about competing as a couple.  There's the rub....

He deserves to be compensated for his time---many pro-am teachers will lower their rate if you are commited to doing  X number of comps ---and are regular with the lessons. This would be the time to do all of DSV's drills!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 03:37:25 AM »

I'm biting the bullet: AM comp does not appear to be in the stars for me for now - today I try out with a pro-am partner.  He's a terrific dancer and I've taken lessons from him before.  Main issue?  His attitude - is this about making money or about competing as a couple.  There's the rub....

He deserves to be compensated for his time---many pro-am teachers will lower their rate if you are commited to doing  X number of comps ---and are regular with the lessons. This would be the time to do all of DSV's drills!
Its not only about money/time/compensation.  What I'm talking about is attitude: pros vary between doing pro-am solely to make money to as an excuse (if you will) to compete.  Both get paid but you get a heck of a better ride and outcome with the latter than the former.  I have seen both extremes - but I have only worked with the latter - and that really is worth the money!

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 01:35:58 PM »

So an update on my (bit pathetic) dance saga... I'm back with my first pro-am competition partner!

Why?  Well, the one I was taking lessons from (and loved to dance with) won't compete and I have to have a goal.  Also, I'm doing a showcase for my party next week (yes its that close) and I figured it was nuts to spend that much money on something that had no dance future.  So its back to Chris I go.

BTW I was his first pro-am partner and also won my first championship with him.  I'll tell more anon...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 07:50:39 AM »

Wish you well and hope it works out well for you  Cheesy

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 09:43:39 AM »

I'm hoping its a stepping stone to someting more...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 10:09:47 PM »

It willl be good to see you out ont the floor again.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 10:10:46 PM »

Talking about completing a circle.  Funny what life brings and takes you.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 02:25:08 AM »

We've both changed - I was a bit worried that he would treat me as I was then but it was lovely dancing with him.  The big test now is whether he will still dance 'all out' ....

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 09:19:29 PM »

We've both changed - I was a bit worried that he would treat me as I was then but it was lovely dancing with him.  The big test now is whether he will still dance 'all out' ....

Why would he not? He is showcasing both you and himself....and I think the professional is under much more scrutiny. Especially being a man (lead). to his detriment if he does not.  Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 05:36:05 AM »

Why would he not? He is showcasing both you and himself....and I think the professional is under much more scrutiny. Especially being a man (lead). to his detriment if he does not.  Roll Eyes
Because the incentives change.  Its very different dancing with your one partner for a goal and dancing with 10 different partners to in essence fullful a job.   You have to do enough.  Enough is not all out...

samina
Silver

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 10:28:34 AM »

So an update on my (bit pathetic) dance saga... I'm back with my first pro-am competition partner!

Why?  Well, the one I was taking lessons from (and loved to dance with) won't compete and I have to have a goal.  Also, I'm doing a showcase for my party next week (yes its that close) and I figured it was nuts to spend that much money on something that had no dance future.  So its back to Chris I go.

BTW I was his first pro-am partner and also won my first championship with him.  I'll tell more anon...

exciting, elise..congrats on the change.

have you targeted your first comp?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 11:54:11 AM »

exciting, elise..congrats on the change.

have you targeted your first comp?

yes - tomorrow's showcase Tongue Tongue Tongue Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: