partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 05:29:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Exercises (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  The Bar (workout) Method
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Bar (workout) Method  (Read 2973 times)
skipper
Bronze

« on: January 27, 2012, 10:59:03 PM »

What is a bar method class?? How do you find one?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 11:23:07 PM »

I'd like to hear that too SK - perhaps we should poke sam...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
samina
Silver

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 09:56:36 PM »

Consider myself poked...lolz. Smiley

Okay, I'll esplain. Cheesy

The Bar Method is an exercise method that grew out of The Lotte Berk Method, which also has some similarities with Callanetics. There have since been many recent off-shoots (Cardio Barre for example), but those are the original three that originated from Lotte Berk's teachings to her direct students.

Lotte Berk was a famous-in-her time (20s & 30s) German ballet dancer who developed in the 50s a unique-at-the-time exercise approach that isolates aspects of the body to work deep into the muscle, drawing the muscle close to the bone, and working very powerfully from the core. There is a special emphasis on tipping up or tucking the pelvis & gluteus extremely tightly during the exercises, on lengthening during working a muscle (rarely ever mentioned in fitness classes, IME), and on using small sharp repetitive movements to the point of muscular exhaustion ("go for the shake"), and then stretching the muscle afterwards.

Callan Pinkney was a student of hers and created the original Callenetics series...a powerful physique-transforming series of exercises that were utterly unique as far as what was reaching the mainstream back in the 80s. (Callanetics is responsible for transforming my body at least twice in my life.) Burr Leonard, a teacher of the Lotte Berk Method, then broke away and started her own approach, The Bar Method, and it's currently being rapidly franchised all over the world with an excellent, excellent program & very appealing aesthetic. It's got the best program to reach the masses of any of these similar approaches.

I've used many different types of bodywork & exercises approaches over the years, and specifically to improve as a dancer, and each had its unique benefit (for example, Tai Chi/Qi Gong, Resistance/Meridian Stretching, Pilates Reformer, various Yogas, Rolfing/Structural Integration, and Gyrotonic), but I have to say that The Bar Method is making the most dance-specific changes in my body.

It's working on my core, my pelvic floor, my thighs, my hips, my chest, my arms, and increasing my energy & strength capacity (it's cardio) and lean body mass like none of the others. It's a very tough, intense workout, but not like a gym workout -- it all has dance-specific benefit. The few men I have seen come in have all been gorgeously fit -- like martial artist masters -- and they sweat and grimace and shake as much as everyone else. It can take anyone, no matter who they are, and bring them to the "edge" of their fitness level. The men and women all develop the most beautiful dancer's bodies...long lean muscles, "close to the bone", strong, responsive...very youthful, alive and flexible. And the best bottoms every.  Cool

When my Bar Method workouts are most intense, the inspirations & visions that get me through are all ballroom-related...Yulia with her exquisite frame & musculature...Lorraine with her beautiful feet. Oh yah... The Bar Method develops strong dancer feet, as well.

Seriously, it's stellar for ballrooms dancers. Go to their main website and see what's up in Canada or what's coming to Australia & the UK...it's growing rapidly!

I also do hot yoga, which is helping me. They seem to be working nicely together. My back & spine is FAAARRR looser than when I was competing, and everything is coming alive in a way I so wanted back then. Yay. Smiley

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:02:07 PM by samina » Logged
samina
Silver

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 10:09:27 PM »

here...this will raise some intrigue about the bar method.  Cool Grin

http://blog.barmethod.com/ExerciseBlogBarMethodcom/?Tag=the%20lotte%20berk%20method

i think it deserves its own thread. dancers should know about this...unless they want to delve into it, discover its powerful secrets, and keep it for themselves. Smiley
samina
Silver

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 12:05:16 PM »

thank you, elise!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 12:26:06 PM »

thank you, elise!
Kiss Smiley

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 04:50:42 PM »

I like how this topic has "workout" specified.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 05:53:04 PM »

I like how this topic has "workout" specified.

See, thats the sign of great leadership, making sure the clients don't faint out of disappointment... Tongue

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 03:42:20 AM »

I read the blog post. Still not sure what the bar method is. Does anybody here do it?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 04:33:55 AM »

Yes - you open the door, sit at the bar and say 'Glass of red wine please'.

Simple really.  Grin

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: