partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 04:26:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116499 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Level of your social scene
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Level of your social scene  (Read 5841 times)
ttd
Open Bronze

« on: April 22, 2009, 02:00:45 PM »

What is the average level of your local social scene?

Around here it's mainly bronze - both in terms of patterns and technique, with a handful of more advanced dancers (coincidentally, most of the advanced group competes). Also, only competitive dancers know international style. Non-competitive crowd "knows" samba and quickstep, but everything else is american style. I am putting "knows" in quotes, because very few people actually attempt those dances, but even those who don't do them at least recognize them.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 02:03:41 PM by ttd » Logged
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 02:22:50 PM »

More rhythm than smooth, not much standard or latin at all. 

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 02:27:27 PM »

Around here it's mainly bronze - both in terms of patterns and technique, with a handful of more advanced dancers (coincidentally, most of the advanced group competes). Also, only competitive dancers know international style. Non-competitive crowd "knows" samba and quickstep, but everything else is american style. I am putting "knows" in quotes, because very few people actually attempt those dances, but even those who don't do them at least recognize them.

and where is that?  Huh

here in florida, when it comes to social ballroom dancing - bronze or silver.

but when it comes to salsa - you have some good dancers, and one that they think they are good.  Wink

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 02:28:55 PM »

Around here its a mix of American and International.  In my opinion its about a social bronze level with many people trying to do gold level and some pre-champ moves with pre-bronze level technique.  Of course the majority of dance instruction is barely at a competitive bronze level at best so how can they become better even if they wanted to.  I guess if they are happy with how they dance and the instruction they are getting (if any) thats all that matters I suppose.  Of the ones that do take lessons its mainly group ones.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 02:30:02 PM »

and where is that?  Huh

here in florida, when it comes to social ballroom dancing - bronze or silver.

but when it comes to salsa - you have some good dancers, and one that they think they are good.  Wink

It's in Midwest.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 02:34:58 PM »

well ........ at most of the studios here I would say bronze to silver. International and American with a smattering salsa and a whole lotta Swing. majority social dancers with healthy mix competitors, good, bad, decent, top notch coaches/teachers. A very healthy mix overall. Any budget, any whatever you need.

My particular studio is almost all competitors, all international styles, and almost all higher silver/gold open, etc .... teaching is very good. (but in MD/DC area there is a plethora of good and great teachers .... even if you want to take a 3 hour drive into NJ/NY area.)

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 02:40:02 PM »

We have a good mix of bronze and silver dancers, plus a few students who are capable of dancing above silver when the floor isn't too crowded.  Practically all American style; I can only thing of 4 current students who dance international regularly.  We get heavy participation, as in pretty much everyone in the room, for:

Waltz
Foxtrot
Tango
Rumba
Cha-cha
ECS/WCS (they play a number of songs that are suitable for either)
Country two-step
Salsa
Mambo
Merengue (when they play one, which they don't every week)
Bolero (some students do rumba instead)

We get about half of the room for:

Quickstep
VW
Hustle

Samba is "corrupted"; we have a line dance which is done to a samba which usually draws more dancers when a samba is played.  

We don't play jive or paso during the socials.  We do have a few students who dance them in showcases and comps.  We have some students learning lindy and AT, and we will probably start playing some music for these as soon as there is a group of dancers for them.  We used to play some nightclub two-step, but at one point we lost all of our NC2S dancers.  The owners are considering re-introducing it with a group class month.  
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 10:49:01 PM »

Rugby just described our scene - a bit flatteringly I fear... |)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 08:50:09 PM »

We have several different providers who cater for different groups. So the standard varies considerably...from people on the floor just beginners or so those that really know what they are doing.

It is strange the schools that cater for comp dancers tend not to have a social scene (except for one), so it is left to the others to fill the gap.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
ThisIsNotMe
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 09:05:24 PM »

Social scene is nonexistant here, unfortunately.  If you want to dance, you have lessons, and that's as far as it goes.  It's pretty sad, really.
Beachbum
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 07:33:45 AM »

Mine is pretty similar to Cornutt's but we have a full floor for 4-count hustle.  Not many people dance 3-count.

Nobody dances mambo but we have a few who dance cumbia and bachatta (me).

We have just 3 or 4 couples who dance Viennese waltz, myself included and about 6-8 couples will dance a polka.

Our studio socials are open to the public so we see a wide range of levels; most people at my studio who have stuck around for a year or so dance at Intermed. Bronze.  We occasionally see some competitive couples but they never dance with anybody but their own partner and typically breeze in and out.

The main commercial ballroom venue that I go to is skewed in age to people in their 60s, 70s and 80s.  Frankly most of them are rather unskilled with a few exceptions and a smattering of younger serious dancers, but they enjoy themselves and I applaud them for getting out and being active.

Yes.  Quite.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 07:59:22 AM »

Social scene is nonexistant here, unfortunately.  If you want to dance, you have lessons, and that's as far as it goes.  It's pretty sad, really.

Maybe you could encourage someone you know (or do it yourself Wink) to start a ballroom then?  Seems like a bit of an opportunity...  sorry I'm so far away Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 04:06:04 AM »

Where I dance the level is probably pre-bronze, with a few exceptions (like when people from other studios visit our socials...)

As QPO said, many of the competition schools don't have socials, so the comp dancers occasionally come to ours, but I think they get fed up with the slowness of the floor and don't come back. I'm looking for somewhere faster to go as well, but it will probably be a process of trial and error.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 06:51:52 AM »

I hear that there is going to be a new one for training for comp and medalist, but I don't think it will have instruction, they will just place music so you can practice...might give that a try.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 06:53:30 AM »

Anywhere from absolute beginner to championship level (we have masters level 5s)  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: