partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 02:30:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Level of your social scene
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Level of your social scene  (Read 5646 times)
samina
Silver

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2010, 03:47:35 PM »

I hit up the Lindo WCS scene this week for the first time in mebbe a year, and once again I'm just blown away by the caliber of the leaders. Seems even stronger and more impressive now, with every man I danced with to a one being so capable, and very gracious... even the so-called newbs. That is one solid dance community. And with not a few leaders who have been Westies for a decade, or even two.

It's the best social scene overall that I've ever experienced. What a great place to learn... and so fun. There's no ballroom danced, aside from an occasional cha, bolero, and waltz. But the guys have clearly been around. I had a lovely waltz with one gentleman I never saw before (and he wasn't thrown at all  by my fuller frame and gentle shaping), and I knew one of the best dancers there from Standard class at another location.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2010, 02:52:10 PM »

This doesn't quite fit anywhere else. But now that I am seriously working on gold and open standard (the plan is to stop entering silver single dances and scholarship, and just do gold singles and open scholarship), I realized that I am the only local who does that. My teacher's other local student and her husband do silver standard. There's another couple who does some silver standard. So I feel like I am so alone, there's nobody to compare notes with and nobody to dance it with (except my teacher, whom I get to see once or twice a week).
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2010, 06:10:47 PM »

the loneliness of the long-distance dancer...
we're here at least - and some of us have trodden the same path...  I think the lack of kindred spirits may be more the norm than the exception.  I certainly felt it...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2011, 06:37:29 PM »

Bronze---bronze and more bronze!! I live in an area of 'stephounds'..
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2011, 07:32:15 PM »

Bronze---bronze and more bronze!!
wow, as high as that!

[pre-paper, pre-corrugated cardboard, pre-seran wrap here.  Undecided ]

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2011, 12:54:16 AM »

we have some socials that a below bronze and others that are silver....we try to go to the later but that is not always possible. Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2013, 10:26:34 AM »

I used to be in a midwest college town, and fortunately, we had a huge social dance scene (and I didn't realize how lucky we were until leaving the school - it was dirt cheap, and a good 4 hours of dance). Like many other people's dance scene, the average is about bronze/prebronze...except people from our team, another team, and every once in awhile the gems tht just dropped by. I would say that it is American but with a very very strong mix of International, or Night clubs - depends on the DJ.

As for my ex-partner's social dance scene, it was like everyone else - American style only, Bronze/prebronze - according to my ex partner and my own observation. The USADance monthly social has surprisingly lots of teenagers (or even pre-teens). I kept worrying to ram into them (sometimes there are blind spots). And it is pretty old school - they would list out every dances they are going to play for the whole night, and they normally play 2~3 dances from the same styles before switching to another one, which is quite nice. It is much easier to plan this way (and to switch shoes). The only down side was that the socials were shorter (2~2.5 hrs). 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:36:00 AM by millitiz » Logged
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2013, 10:32:43 AM »

Yes.  It's surprising how much support college teams give their members, and at such good prices.  Kids who are near an active team are often so lucky without realizing it.  I've often wished that I lived near a college ballroom team (Some allow non-matriculated students to participate,from what I've heard.)

The closest I ever came was living about an hour drive from a college swing dance club. Unfortunately, that wasn't my cup of tea, at the time. *sigh*

Any chance there's ballroom dance team within a reasonable drive of where you are now, millitiz?

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2013, 10:49:31 AM »

Yes.  It's surprising how much support college teams give their members, and at such good prices.  Kids who are near an active team are often so lucky without realizing it.  I've often wished that I lived near a college ballroom team (Some allow non-matriculated students to participate,from what I've heard.)

The closest I ever came was living about an hour drive from a college swing dance club. Unfortunately, that wasn't my cup of tea, at the time. *sigh*

Any chance there's ballroom dance team within a reasonable drive of where you are now, millitiz?

Just to clarify a little bit - the social dance organization (I was in), while is a student organization, was different from my team (which was another student organization...and just to complicate things, there is yet another dance team on campus focusing more on the showcase side Tongue). The social dance organization (not really a team) actually has alot of non-student members. So in social dances, we have all age groups.

I currently live on the other side of the planet Roll Eyes ...The culture is so different here. For instance, when I was in a group lesson and the instructor told us to pair up, no one moved...The intructor had to pair us off one by one... so I don't really know what to expect here. Fortunately, there are a lot of colleges (and their teams) here...well, comparatively. But I don't think that they allow outsiders participating...hmmm, maybe I should email them myself.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2013, 11:16:53 AM »

Yes.  I can see how local culture might have a huge impact on your experience.  It probably can't hurt to ask, though, right?  Nothing ventured; nothing gained. *shrug*  Good luck. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2013, 10:01:45 PM »

we don't do as much as we use to (we use to do twice a week, now it is twice a month), now that we compete as the social dancers get annoyed with us, we take too bigger steps and bump into them (not on purpose). On the comp dance floor you can judge reasonably well which direction a fellow competitor will go unlike on the social floor there speed is also different.

We only go to bigger venues with more room.

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2013, 11:30:09 AM »

Yes.  I can see that social dance and competitive dance might not mix very well on the same floor.  Do you have any studios there that run rounds where competitors can get practice?

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2013, 12:23:12 AM »

Yes.  I can see that social dance and competitive dance might not mix very well on the same floor.  Do you have any studios there that run rounds where competitors can get practice?

yes some do. But I am thinking about having a practice class on a Sunday once a month that I will run but have to put it to my teacher and husband Tongue!

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2013, 04:21:37 AM »

I suppose I should get back in the social scene - its quite strong here - but the thought of plodding around on the floor has only  a limited attraction... sorry to see it that way but the part of dance I like the best is on the edge...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2013, 09:07:22 AM »

Yes. Competitive dancers and social dancers often don't mix well. *sigh*

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: